MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wow!!

That's how every one left today. Woodsy, his friend Larry, my son Andy, my friend/coworker Rob (Salesboy), 2bigforakdx, and 70Marlin met at the trailhead within miniutes of each other. While warmer, into the high 40's, it was foggy and damp out. One other truck was in the lot besides the rest of us. The lot had quite a bit of ice on it, so I was glad we brought the studded tires. Everyone was studded up but Rob.

Once on the trail, we soon worked into a great groove. Andy shot out front like usually, followed by Woodsy, then the rest of us. I followed Woodsy closely for awhile, then got tired of eating the huge mounds of dirt (and, we found out later, chunks of knobby!) that his 500 Kawi threw at me. It was sure fun to hear an open class bike out there though, there's nothing like the sound of a big two stroke!

There was some spots of ice, but mostly the trail was hard pack, fast and smooth. For those that haven't ridden there, the first several miles is deep-woods stuff that's pretty wide, but a lot of fun because of the berms and pretty nice soil. Kind of like a narrow 70's motocross track....After this is a large sand run which usually give me the willies, but today it was also har-packed and fast. Pretty whooped out, but fun. The lollipop loop was great, more sand, but again hard-packed. We got to the MCCCT turnoff and decided to keep going. Some were worried about their gas supply, but we realized there were enough large tanks of two stroke and four stroke gas that we could rob some gas if we needed to.

A quick whip up to Nichols Lake and a rest were next. We talked for awhile, then some of us realized our mucles were stiffening up, especially us old farts. So we whipped it back. The lead group took the long loop backwards, which made me really begin to wonder about gas supply, especially for Larry and Andy's CR250 MX tanks. We ran into more people on the way back. By the time were got within a few miles of the trucks, some of us (read - me) were running pretty slow compared to the beginning of the ride.

When I got close to the truck, I noticed footprints in the dirt. When I stopped, Andy said"did you see my tracks? I ran out of gas and pushed it back". He had run out of gas a couple hundred feet from the truck, pushed it back, and still had to wait for the rest of us.

All in all, we all had a GREAT day! This will be a ride I remember for awhile! Woodsy's photos will follow, if he figures out how to work his new camera!

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
Mark, sounds like you had a great ride. I was working down in St Joe today a balm 55 degrees. No frost in the ground would have been good riding weather.

Brian

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Mark:
Yea I got the camera fingered out... GREAT report there buddy of a GREAT ride!! I also wrote a trail report before I realised that you were going to do one, lets see, I am going to put it up, OF COURSE I am, do you think I did all that typing for nothing :) Here is pic for you though of the occasion, It is of a FANTASTIC host!!
Thanks Mark!
Woodsy

Attachments

• jan02064.jpg
    jan02064.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 123

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Woodsy, I'm looking forward to a trail report from The Master of Trail Reports! Thanks for the picture, looking forward to another great ride with you like today!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wow, sorry I missed all the fun! I was out of town and did not get the message in time. Sounds like Indian summer is going to come to an end tomorrow. :(

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yea, but that don't mean the Indians put there horses away!!!!!! I am dying to see if I can still throw rubber and screws at Mark even in 6 inches of snow.... Hey, we missed you yesterday Badger!! Maybe next one, are you snow riding this year??

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Probably not.

My YZF exploded all over the garage! It finally got tore down and will receive a new top end this winter. Red's KDX may get a new piston too but it is still in one piece at present.........Hum......

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Tim, our YZF is back together, started third kick. Boy does it run really strong! The new top end does indeed make a difference! A magnified look at the old valves indicates that they were in pretty rough shape. We took it along yesterday, but were too beat to get it down after our ride. In fact today I'm hardly walking up the stairs! I haven't felt this whipped since I rode my WR400 pig!

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
:) :) :)

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
I also wish I could have been there, but I had to work. I might not respond to a lot of post but when I have a little extra time I like to lurk a lot.
SO I managed to make the ride today! I couldn't find anyone willing so I loaded up and went anyways. I decided White Cloud sounded fun so I gave it a try. When I got there I met a couple of other KTM riders in the parking lot getting ready for the ride, so I tagged along.
Their names were John and Gary and they were from some place called Muskegon.
You guys were right the trail was awesome, the first two miles had plenty of water some with ice on top and some with ice in the bottom, there were also a couple of long water holes with chunks of floaty ice. I'm not sure what was funnier the floaty ice or the water with ice underneath it. There was a couple of times my back-end tried to pass my front end, go figure. ( I haven't studded my tires yet )
As soon as you crossed the paved road, the ice was almost all gone, but there was still plenty of water holes.
When we got to the top of the trail the Muskegonites took the short cut back and I pressed on to the dirt road that leads to Nichols lake.
It rained last nite so when you were out in front you had a nice clean trail, but you could see shredded wood when ever you came up to a log crossing.
What really surprised me is that I only met one four wheeler on the way back.
Gary and John waited in the parking area to make sure I made it out OK, which was a nice gesture. But I really figured that there would be other riders there today, maybe they went to Evart?
OH yeah on last thing anyone have an extra radiator shroud for the right side of a 02 KTM 250 EXC black preferable? I didn't even fall down but some how I managed to break my right shroud into pieces. I don't even know where and when it happened. I think that plastic must be more brittle when its cold.
Hope to see you on the trail,
DT

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Dave, you can have my shrouds from my '02 KTM. I've run Devol guards since day one, and I believe the stock shrouds have never seen dirt! Aren't stock ones white though? If so, I've got 'em both. If interested, I'll be hom early Tuesday, maybe you could swing by and pick 'em up. E-mail me if you're interested.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Mark - YOU ARE A KEEPER!! READY GUYS, 15 "rahs" for Mweissen - rah rah, rah rah rah - rah rah, rah rah rah - rah rah, rah rah rah - YAAAAA MARK!!
It must be "shroud time" in the Gremlin world cause I lost one on my KX 2 rides ago and Larry & I found 2 on the trail (1 kdx and 1 cr)....
WOODSY

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey DT - GREAT report there buddy.. I would have met you up for another bout but I had a wedding to go to... Sounds like you came out in fine shape though and had a good time!
Woodsy

Top Bottom