White Lithium Grease under dust covers????

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My Buddy, has a KTM 360MXC and has had numerous fork seal leakage problems. Upon reviewing his manual, it states to put a White lithium soap based grease underneath the dust covers. It also states that this grease needs to be cleaned out and replaced every ride. Is this really necessary? This procedure is also stated in the manual for the 2003 YZF450.

His forks are currently down at the dealership and they told him NOT to put this grease in there. What gives????? :think: :think:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
He will be running right side up forks and seal savers. I actually checked my manual on my YZ and it also says to grease under the dust seals. I am now guessing that I also need to grease them myself.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
I've done it both ways........grease/no grease when I had my yz's(I also had a 96' 125) I didn't notice any extenison in seal life. Keep them clean and just pray they hold for a good time. I don't know if its just me, but I always had a problem w/my YZ's blowing seals. Common to brand? Now that I've got my honda I made it alot longer b4 the seals went. Just my .02, but I wouldn't bother its more trouble than worth to have to clean and regrease everytime.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
He has had to replace the seals on his KTM 4 times in one year and there are no knicks in the tubes and they are straight. The last tecnician used emery cloth or something like that to make sure the tubes were smooth. We are just wondering if that grease is really necessary... or not.

Top Bottom