white residue on inside of oil level guage glass

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
anybody ever get this? white residue on inside of oil level gauge glass. it wasnt there before todays ride. after about 2hrs i noticed something white on the inside of the glass. it didnt move with the oil as i rocked the bike back and forth? could barely see the oil level but could see it. i run it at the top of the glass and i havent changed oil brands or anything. drained the oil when i got home and there was no water in it. the oil looked fine. thanks

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i think im going to change the oil seal on the water pump shaft just to be safe. is there anything else i should check or replace besides this?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I had a simular problem, drained and checked the oil and saw no coolant. I repeated this and still I could not see anything in the oil. I changed the seals and the problem went away. I always thought that oil floated on water and you would see the difference but it seems they do mix too some degree.
The seal replacement is a pretty easy one and should fix your milky glass.
tom

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
thanks tom. you mentioned seals, i only saw one that looked like it would need to be changed on buykawasaki.com parts diagram. which seals did you change?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I recall replacing a couple of items. I'd ask the parts guy to be sure. I have also heard of the shaft being damaged (scored) and I think you can use some emery cloth on it if it is not too bad. Mine was just a bad seal. Do a search for more info on this.
good luck,
tom

Top Bottom