White smoke always coolant or motor oil???

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I've been working on the jetting of my bike and I have all the indications of running rich - dark oily plug and oil drops from the silencer. When at idle and especially coming off idle I get huge clouds of smoke.

However, the smoke color is white not bluish. I've tried running yamalube and currently motul at 40:1. My coolant level stays completely constant and I am sure there is no coolant getting into the cylinder.

My motor oil (80w) level seems to be fine, I have never had it drop below the sight window. Although, given how imprecise using the sight window is I am not 100% sure that a little motor oil isn't getting past a seal somewhere.

What I'm wondering is if it is possible that the white smoke is just 2stroke oil and gas???? I hope so because I really don't want to have to split the cases. If it helps the bike is a 90kdx200 with 150 main, 42 pilot, cel in midclip. Mods include pc pipe and silencer, airbox lid removed, and boyesen reeds.

Thanks

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
From my experience (for what that's worth...)

White smoke is coolant
Blue smoke is oil (or jetted too rich in a 2 stroke)
Black smoke is gas (rich, at least in a 4 stroke)

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I would say my smoke is grayish white. Are there any inexpensive ways to figure out what is causing it? I asked my local shop about a vacuum test and I think I saw dollar signs in their eyes.

When I mentioned that I was concerned about the crank seals they didn't realize on my bike they couldn't be replaced without splitting the case.

I love this bike, but it's hard for me to keep throwing money at it. If anybody has any ideas I'm all ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Does the smoke smell sweet? Coolant has a sweet smell to it. Oil smells like...oil.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
No sweet smell, doesn't have much odor at all. If I had to choose one though I would say it smells more like oil.

Yesterday when playing with it I noticed it making a 'crackling' sound at lower rpms (about up to 1/2 throttle) which I gather is a sign of running rich.

I've got more pilot jets coming in the mail - 35,38, and 40. It seems like I'm running a lot leaner jets than anybody else with my model bike though. I'm guessing that I may end up with the 38 to get rid of the crackling.

Is burning motor oil a distinctly different color than burning premix oil usually?

I am wondering if oil is getting past a crank seal & getting somewhat combusted (giving the whitish smoke) and making my jetting very lean to compensate.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
If your crank seals are blown you will loose lots of oil from the tranny. At first I did not notice the smoke then I noticed my oil level dropping and then 2 + 2 = lots of money to fix on its own so I sent it to fredette for any thing he wanted to do. It was way cheaper to have him do it along with porting and going to a 211cc than just taking it to a dealer. Or buy your own case splitting tools and have someone help you do it.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I'm in Tallahassee, FL - just moved up here from Gainesville, FL. It's high temp, high humidity, and low altitude (probably 20ft above sea level).

I know these conditions should make the bike run richer, but even so it seems like I'm jetted alot leaner than any other posts I remember reading (for this carb & setup).

Hopefully, I can get out and do some riding this weekend. Maybe make my first trip to Apalachicola national forest.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I just wanted to post the results of my jetting experience from the past couple weeks in case anyone is interested.

After finally getting the carb to stop peeing - thanks again Wibby for the tip about using wet and dry on a cuetip to polish up the float valve needle seat - I was able to get to work on the jetting. I ended up dropping 2 sizes in the main and 3 sizes in the pilot. I'm now running a 152 main, 38 pilot, and CEL in 2nd clip.

The kdx was running like a champ. I had no idea that it had that kind of power inside it waiting to get out. I took out my 93 cr250 with it and for the most part the kdx was pulling as hard if not harder than the cr.

What's scary is that I still think there is still a little room for improvement on the jetting. There was a little black spooge coming out of the silencer after Sunday's ride.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out. Hope to see you on the trails someday.

Top Bottom