adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Anyone running this? It's this Sunday (June 5th) in Cass City. I figure since I live here I better try it. I don't really know what to expect, never raced a hare scramble before. Hopefully it goes well. I'll be stripping the dual sport gear off the KDX and keeping my fingers crossed that I can survive 3 hours on a bike (usually I feel whipped after 30 minutes, let alone 3 hours).

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
No one?

Well I survived it. Ended up 5/6 in B class and 44/75 overall for the 3 hour. The heat killed me, I stopped almost every lap for water and ice and to just chill in the shade for about 5 minutes. The course was a ton of fun to ride, super tight and technical. There were a lot of people that were pissed off about how tight it was though. I mean, I never did a harescramble before, but I thought the course was supposed to be difficult.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Way to go Adam :cool:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Adam,

We got the same complaint at our HS last year. The big issue is bottlenecks. If someone has a problem and the trail is really tight, you get a traffic jam.

If you rode the three hour class - GREAT job!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I was actually pretty surprised at the lack of bottle necks. During the parade lap people got bunched up pretty bad, but that's no big deal. After 1 lap there were plenty of alternate lines for us slow guys to pull off on and let the good guys by on. I was more expecting to see something like in the magazines when there is 20 bikes waiting to get through a section where there is already a half dozen bikes stuck in the mud.

I might be hooked, I'd like to try another harescramble now. Definitly hitting the gym a little harder though, I need endurance! My first lap was over 15 mph average, buy the end I was running 11 mph per lap. I kept stopping and taking a breather in the shade more and more often as the race went on. And boy did I sleep good last night!

I've raced a few times at Baja MX, and I have to say I met way more cool / friendly people in the pits at this race than at any motocross. Not sure if it's the crowd or the atmosphere or just the group I happened to parked near, but I had a better time waiting for my race than any other I've been to.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
That is super! No way could I do the 3 hour class! Way to out of shape.

Now we have to get you to do some enduros - then you will really be hooked! You can play little mental timekeeping games (and if you are like me) to figure out just how far behind you are!

I can't speak for the Harescambles crowd, but the Enduro crowd is great to. Its the way racing should be - serious competition out on the course, but everyone is relaxed, friendly and very willing to help out when hanging in the pits.

Top Bottom