'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I have searched but have not found a answer. I had eric do my kx awhile ago(265 kit w/mo better). I have not had the time to ride, nor get race gas.

I decided to get some gas and try to ride the bike a few times. Using 110 purple w/ 32:1 benol the carb doesn't seem right. It takes about 10 kicks to start :yikes: and surges/bogs at wot really bad. Anyone know what my carb settings shoud be? I have a 160 main in now. Just trying to get some other opinions before calling Eric. thanks all!!!

I also wanted to add that it has a new vforce3, new air filter, and the motor has about 3 hours on it since rebuild. stock pipe/silencer.

Last edited:

95xr250

Apr 6, 2007
did you go up a couple of jet sizes if not it will lean it out use 93 pump gas 110 can hurt the internal parts of the carb 32:1 and 93. i would pull out the plug and if it is white it is lean should be a dark color.

'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
95xr250 said:
did you go up a couple of jet sizes if not it will lean it out use 93 pump gas 110 can hurt the internal parts of the carb 32:1 and 93. i would pull out the plug and if it is white it is lean should be a dark color.

went up 2 sizes on the main, did not mess with any other of the adjustments. Eric said it was ok to run 100 and my local gas station was not open to cut my 110. I have also read that 93 is not enough octane and will cause the high comp piston to spark knock/melt. It was around 95 degrees here yesterday. I broke in the engine per Eric's website instructions. thanks for the input.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
00kx, call eric, he did my rm 265 and was great. He'll point you in the right direction.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
95xr250 said:

95xr250 said:
o and take it easy for about 5 or 6 hours dont open it all the way up you need to break it in good or it will lock it up.

STOP POSTING THIS IDIOTIC NONSENSE.

I've had my fill of people complaining about you constantly posting moronic drivel every time you touch the keyboard. From now on these useless posts from will just be deleted. If it still doesn't stop then youe account will be deleted.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
[QUOTE='00KX250er]went up 2 sizes on the main, did not mess with any other of the adjustments. Eric said it was ok to run 100 and my local gas station was not open to cut my 110.[/QUOTE]

Most people who go to the 265 setup end up having to LEAN out the jetting due to the improved scavenging from the porting changes.

Add to that the fact that in most cases going from straight pump fuel to a non-oxygenated race fuel will tend to richen up the jetting across the board, sometimes by as much as a couple of jet sizes.

You could easily be 4 sizes too rich on the main.

A WOT plug chop on a clean plug would be a good place to start to get an idea where you currently stand.

Last edited:

'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
Went back down to a 158 and put in a new plug. Man this bike rips, sure hate to sell it. If anyone is thinking of getting some more power out of their kx, give Eric a shout. My 265 is so smooth in the powerband and just pulls so hard, wow. Thanks to all that have helped.

Rich, you and Eric have been alot of help in the past thanks again!!!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
Im thinking of turning my 03 into a 265 but erics webite does not list anything about 250 big bores.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
kdxtodd said:
Im thinking of turning my 03 into a 265 but erics webite does not list anything about 250 big bores.

You have to call him or e-mail. :cool:

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I probably should start a new thread but what the hell,
Whats the difference between a big bore from eric or one from Max power? Im guessing eric will do it for close to half the price but whats with the apricote 2000 coating that max power throws around? I would go with eric just from being a long time DRNer and hearing a lot of good things from his customers.

Whats the skinny on erics big bores?

smrmx

Nov 18, 2001
Eric is the real deal

:cool: I had him do a 2000 cr 250 to cr265 he knows what he is doing.Better customer service than max power. And his work is great. Just ask anybody that has had his bigbore/porting his bikes haul a**.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've heard that some companies dont change the porting as required for the big bore. Eric also uses U.S. Chrome for the plating, they do an outstanding job as well. I highly recommend them. Another thing to watch is the piston availability. Eric uses a standard production Wiseco piston you can get from any Wiseco dealer.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
This taken from Forward Motion...........Getting What You Pay For?

The old saying "you get what you pay for" implies that the more you spend the more you get. Not so in the motorcycle industry. Often times the people with the least experience charge the most money. Here's an example; Max Power and PR2 have been doing big bores for 1/3 the time of Eric Gorr and charge as much as 3 times more! We can rebuild your entire engine for the less than the price that most of our competitors charge for a 144 cylinder alone! On the flip side of the cost equation is Kustom Kraft and Millenium. Their prices are 50 bucks lower than Eric's but they don't include porting. The proper porting is the key to getting more power from a big bore kit, otherwise the engine produces more low end and just goes flat in the mid-range and actually produces less than stock.

Catalog Parts Not Custom! Cheap and Easy Everywhere.

We build kits using AMA approved Wiseco piston kits, which are available from Forward Motion, Wiseco dealers, Parts Unlimited dealers, or virtually any mail order motorcycle company. These are catalog commodity parts, not high priced frequently back-ordered custom pistons like our competitors use. Also our kits use stock or aftermarket replacement kits on the models that use head o-rings. Models like the Honda CRs and Kawasaki KXs use steel head gaskets and companies like Cometic and Moose Racing make oversized gaskets for the same price as stock. Our competitors use expensive spacer plates so you're stuck buying replacements from them.

Warranty?

Although no new dirt bike comes with a warranty, US Chrome and Forward Motion have liberal policies regarding top end failures and warranties. However all the damaged parts and sometimes the engine must be submitted for evaluation. USC and FM developed a special program for people with our big bores that had problems beyond the scope of a normal warranty. The "Warranty Special" covers everything from normal wear and tear to dirt scratches from not oiling your filter, piston-seizure from not pre-mixing oil with the fuel, too-lean jetting, crashing, overheating from failed cooling systems, broken studs, cracks, powervalve breakage, and connecting rod failure. The cost is only $125 to repair the bore and you don';t even have to disassemble the powervalves. In fact we insist that you send us the complete top end so we can help you determine the root cause of the engine failure to fix it right the first time and save you money. We also offer free diamond honing ($25 value) of supermini and 144 cylinders for two years after you buy it. US Chrome's NICOM cylinder plating is so tough that in many cases, even when the piston seizes, we can clean it up with just honing!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I did the mo better porting but not the overbore FWIW, bike ran decent with same jetting but I was able to lean it a bit after the port work.

Remember guys, 265 is only 6% more displacement and it's going through the same carb and exhaust etc. A 15cc overbore is great if your cylinder needs replating anyway, but I wouldn't do it to a "good" cylinder just for the moderate increase in displacement. I think a lot of folks get both port work and overbore done at the same time, and assume that a lot of the power increase is from the overbore when it's really mostly the porting.

Top Bottom