skiz

May 22, 2010
Ive read in many places online that Ricky Carmichael is considered the Mx GOAT. . I dont imagine theres any possibility of determining that as fact. . It only exists as opinion which is always open to dispute. . I think it would be much easier to make a definitive LIST of riders that you can make a case for being considered the GOAT

So who makes the short list ?

Let me throw out 5 names
Do you think each of these 5 should be on this list ?
Do you think Ive missed anyone that should be here ?

Ricky Carmichael
Jeremy McGrath
Rick Johnson
Bob Hannah
Roger DeCoster

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
While I'm a big fan of the other riders on your list, Ricky Carmichael truly is the GOAT when you look at career accomplishments.

I'd put DeCoster behind RC but ahead of the rest of your list, though McGrath was the best SX racer ever.

As for others deserving of a spot in the top 10, I would add Joel Robert, David Bailey, John Michel Bayle, Stefan Everts and my sentimental favorite, Jeff Ward.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
You have got to put Mark Barnett in the top ten U S riders if not top five Three consecutive 125 and a supercross championship then said I'm done

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Broc Glover also had 3 straight 125 titles, plus a 250 outdoor title.

Other people with 3 or more US outdoor titles include Tony D, Kent Howerton, Gary Jones and Jeff Stanton.

3 or more world titles is a longer list. Guys not yet mentioned with 5 world titles would include Eric Geboers, Georges Jobe, Joel Smets and Antonio Cairoili.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Dave I"m with you on Jeff ward. He is the first rider to win every major AMA motocross championship.He had 7 nationas titles 56 national race wins. 7 times He represented the USA on 7 winning teams. Has an indy car win and rooki of the year at indy but best of all he stuck with Kawasaki threw it all even with bikes that would brake in half and handeld like crap. He could ride a bike to its ability and still win championships.
Unlike some new riders.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
And don't forget Ward's SuperMoto and minicycle career, too! Though he did ride Hondas for those. As a kid, Ward was beating the modded YZ80's when he was seriously outgunned on his XR75.

FWIW, he probably would have had another AMA SX title, but there was one year where if you DNF your first heat race, you were eliminated from the program and did not get to ride the semis. He had a mechanical DNF in a heat, scored no points that night and later just missed winning the SX title that year.

BTW, a long time ago MXA surveyed the riders about who they thought the best was. Ward said Jean Michel Bayle.

Oh, and another great rider with 4 US titles was Mike Kiedrowski. Hard to put him in the top 10, but he could ride.

I also loved to watch Mike LaRocco.

Personally, I've had the privledge of watching many great riders, and IMO Carmichael was the best there ever was or ever will be. Everyone else is fighting for 2nd.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
Then you have the ones that refuse to lie down Dr D and Doug Henry. But Magoo must be considered along with Rick Johnson from my magazine memories that reached this side of the world

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Some greats showing up in this thread... seems most of the old schooler's were tougher than those in recent history. A lot of them should be in the top 10.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
While I'm a big fan of the other riders on your list, Ricky Carmichael truly is the GOAT when you look at career accomplishments.

I'd put DeCoster behind RC but ahead of the rest of your list, though McGrath was the best SX racer ever.

As for others deserving of a spot in the top 10, I would add Joel Robert, David Bailey, John Michel Bayle, Stefan Everts and my sentimental favorite, Jeff Ward.
I've got to agree with you on this one for sure. For me, Jeff Ward ran the gammit and won many times. His longevity in the sport ranks him as one the best of the best.

skiz

May 22, 2010
A bunch of good names have been added to the mix

My original list was chronological. . But with this longer list I'll go to alphabetical
David Bailey
Mark Barnett
John Michel Bayle
Antonio Cairoli
Ricky Carmichael
Danny Chandler
Roger DeCoster
Tony DiStefano
Stefan Everts
Eric Geboers
Broc Glover
Bob Hannah
Doug Henry
Kent Howerton
Georges Jobe
Rick Johnson
Gary Jones
Mike Kiedrowski
Mike LaRocco
Jeremy McGrath
Joel Robert
Joel Smets
Jeff Stanton
Jeff Ward
And for good measure I’ll add
Ryand Dungy
Chad Reed
James Stewart
Ryan Villopoto

When youre comparing guys that raced in different eras, all you can go on is opinion, which means you can never get a definitive answer

You can count up Ricky Carmichael stats + titles but would he beat Rick Johnson at the height of his skill ? . Would Johnson have the better stats if he hadnt hurt his wrist ? . There are some unanswerable questions that can only be addressed with opinion

Of course some of the guys on this list raced in their prime at the same time + can be compared side by side

Guys in their prime in the 60’s
Joel Robert doesnt have any contemporaries on the list

Guys in their prime in the 70’s
Roger DeCoster
Tony DiStefano
Bob Hannah
Kent Howerton
Gary Jones
DeCoster was on top until 77
Hannah from 77 on

Guys in their prime in the 80’s
David Bailey
Mark Barnett
Danny Chandler
Broc Glover
Georges Jobe
Rick Johnson
Jobe is out of contention for the top spot because his credentials are FIM and the US won the MxdN from 81-93 and Jobe only won one race against his best contemporaries (MxdN in 87) during that entire 13 years. . The other guys raced AMA side by side and Johnson proved to be the best

Guys in their prime in the early 90’s
John Michel Bayle
Eric Geboers
Jeff Stanton
Jeff Ward
This is the toughest era, IMO. . Its tight between Bayle, Stanton, and Ward. . But I think Bayle had the commanding performances between the Johnson + McGrath eras

Guys in their prime in the late 90’s
Stefan Everts
Doug Henry
Mike Kiedrowski
Mike LaRocco
Jeremy McGrath
Joel Smets
Smets was top man in a dieing 500 class and couldnt beat the top FIM racers in MX1 after 2002. . McGrath was best of his era in AMA. . McGrath took 2 races in 96 at the MxdN. . But Everts took 2 MxdN races per year in 98, 99, 01, 04, + 06. . so thats 6 FIM titles and 5 MxdN double wins. . Youve got to give the era to Everts

Guys in their prime in the early 00’s
Ricky Carmichael doesnt have any contemporaries on the list

Guys in their prime in the late 00’s to present
Antonio Cairoli
Ryan Villopoto
Chad Reed
Ryan Dungy
James Stewart
Cairoli is out of contention for the top spot because his credentials are FIM and the US won the MxdN from 05-11 and Cairoli only won 2 races (in 06+09) during that 7 years. . The other guys raced AMA side by side and I think the jury is still out on all 4 of them

So my conclusion is:
Joel Robert GOA60’s
Roger DeCoster GOA70’s until 77
Bob Hannah GOA70’s after 77
Rick Johnson GOA80’s
John Michel Bayle GOAearly90’s (sorry Stanton+Ward)
Stefan Everts GOAlate90’s
Ricky Carmichael GOAearly00’s
Ryan Villopoto GOAlate00’s ??????maybe
Chad Reed GOAlate00’s ??????maybe
Ryan Dungy GOAlate00’s ??????maybe
James Stewart GOAlate00’s ??????maybe

Now if you want to chose just one GOAT, with a big fat capital T at the end, good luck trying to compare guys that didnt race each other in their prime

Top Bottom