Who runs high octane. Is it leaded or unleaded

A7594217

Jul 15, 2007
Hi i have a 97 cr250 and i know its much better to run high octane gas. In the manual it says to run unleaded but around where i live its very hard to get unleaded high octane gas. Im curious what octane you guys are running and if its leaded or unleaded. I know in a car it will ruin the o2 sensors and cat, but this does not have either.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
if your bike is totally stock premium is fine, is the bike modified in any way as far as cylinder porting or a decked head. what type of riding do you do? glad to help more info please.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
All pump gas is unleaded so I'm not sure how high of octane you are looking for. Like Hot-mod says, premium (92-93 octane) is fine for a stock bike although you may be able to run a lower rating if you are not getting any detonation.

A7594217

Jul 15, 2007
I do mostly trail and hill climbing. Out here is CA premium is 91 and nothing higher. As far as detonation i dont think its a huge problem. I was thinking of mixing a gallon of high octane with premium to bring it up to 93-94 octane but can the bike handle unleaded gas. One gallon of 104 leaded with four gallons of 91 premium. I know the manual says 92 octane minimum. Right now i have standard add ons but no engine work.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
If your looking for improved performance from your fuel, there's a lot more to it than octane. Do a search on race gas and start reading. Here's a thread to get you started.

In the mean time, get your hands on some VP C-12 , get your jetting dialed, and you'll be hooked... promise.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you're in the bay area, Infineon Raceway has some pretty high octane fuels at the pump out there. Many motorcycle shops in the area sell 5 gallon cans of all sorts of leaded, unleaded, and oxygenated race fuels.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Most of us run unleaded fuels. Running leaded fuel in your bike wont hurt anything. Any change in fuel may require a change in jetting.

Top Bottom