RM125Guy

Jun 30, 2001
Wow I thought I was late... I guess not. I started riding at age 10 on a 1980 xr 80 I only rode for a month for some strange reason I didn't like riding??Well four years later I got a fourwheeler 1985 lt125 and didn't like it. Then I bought a 1994 rt100 and I loved dirtbikes. Then i got a 1985 kx80 months later and became even more attached. Now I have a 1987,1986, and 1979 Rm125 and I plan on racing my first mx race this month some time and I'm 15. I love dirtbikes :)

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Id say i started late, age 17, im 19 now and looked through my log book to see how many times i have raced over the last two years, a whole 11 times, and most of them on tarmac. In the last year i have raced only 7.9 motos. You may be thinking 7.9?? well crashed with one lap to go early last year and busted my knee, and it was in fact a 10 lap race, so thought what the hell! Ive done as many mx's so far this year as i have done all of last year, 2!! ill be trying to make it a 3rd with a nice new rear mudgaurd.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Well, I did a road racing school when I was 21, but my first real race was an enduro this year at age 34.

mag

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I got my first Sears Mini-bike in 1969. I was 9 yrs old. I learned that I could tie a piece of bailing wire to the governer and get lots more speed! After that I remember building ramps out of logs and plywood. Nothing like looping out on a 5hp, hot oil goes Everywhere!
Well, wasn't long after that I graduated to bigger bikes. In those days motocross was just starting to evolve into a sport. All my friends and I had bikes. Mostly boxy steet toys we would put knobby tires on and take to the woods. I'm sure most of you would be amused to see some of our monsters.

We never did have any 'sanctioned' races back then, but some kids fathers would sort of sponsor sandlot racing and we did it often.
Many years later, after a break to do like many, join army, get married, raise kids....I got back into riding. My very first real race was an Arenacross, last year at age 40. Man what an experience! (whoever thought those deep whoops would be lots of fun...was WRONG):eek:
I go to the track and practice often, but I've only participated in a few D, Senior +40 classes.
I'm and old man and get sore as hell, but I love motocross! I'm trying to get our boys to race, but they seem to have much more fun critiquing me. :)
Better mention my wife, shes my best coach..."Jay, you need to move forward more in that turn, and you may want to gas it and lean a little more"
She doesn't ride, but she seems to know what shes talking about!:D

Last edited:

400grl

Jul 8, 2001
I'm going to be racing my first time next month, and I am 29. My husband says I am too old to start this, but I told him there are lots of people doing this who are older than me!!! I just started riding in November, for the first time in my life, and I am soooo hooked! I love riding my quad at the MX track! What a challenge! I have been riding every single weekend since I bought my bike, and I think I am picking it up pretty quick! I am going to get a two-wheeler in another year or so, and ride both. Good to see so many others starting late like me!!!!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I just turned 41.5, and I'm hoping to go racing this month. I just rode my YZ for the first time today. I raced a couple of times when I was 16, but that was a looong time ago.

I'm NOT scared!
I'm NOT scared!
I'm NOT scared!
I'm NOT!

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
I guess it wont be to late....

to get back into in a year or two. My man and I are taking a break right now to sort of recover from the last few years of riding and racing and to get ahead so we can really afford to race and play hard. I was 20 when I started so I'll be 24 or 25 when I get back out there. My man was 25 and he'll be 29 or 30. I guess he'll fit right into the ranks of most of you guys.
We'll never be to old!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
First race at 38. Been riding 26 years. :)

Duncan

May 14, 2001
I raced my first race at the age of 36. I didnt do well at all, but I at least finished both motos without injury so I was happy about that. I'm gonna give it another shot next month. Right now I'm gonna need to get more seat time and cornering.

Top Bottom