2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I count three weekends before the magic that is rifle season starts. That's three good riding weekends. Not only that, but I have a purpose too. You might remember the "GPS the trails project" we're working on (new CCC mapbook)... Anyway, I need to ride some trail systems yet this fall to try and complete my collection. I'm awaiting data from our trail graders for some of the listed systems, but until I actually have the data in my computer, I consider the trail on the "needs to be ridden" list.

Anyone that wants to ride, I'd welcome some company. I plan to do weekend stuff, but can kill a week day if that's what fits your schedule. A couple points of interest: I ride a 520, stay away from my rear tire; I'm not fast; being street legal is a huge bonus; I will be riding ALL of a trail system (no skipping sections). The street legal part helps if I need to pick up connectors and don't want to ride them twice or just need to zing into town for fuel/etc. Like I said, I'm not fast; it took me 2 hours to ride the 28 mile Red Bridge system on Thursday (for example). I prefer to ride long distances before breaks too (20 miles or an hour to two) but as with any rider, I'll adjust as much as possible to fit your style.
Worked out neat last week with one riding buddy who opted to ride the ORV Routes while I bounced along the single track. One of us would see the other's tracks where the Route/Trail intersected and sometimes we'd actually meet.

I'd prefer to get Kalkaska, then West Higgins/Beaver Creek then either Missaukee or Little Manistee (and related) but whatever.

Anyway, here's what I need to get done this year:

ATV Trails That need GPS'd (# on left indicates DNR Map Number)

28 - Devil's Lake Route
29 - Kalkaska Trail
33 - Grand Traverse Motorcycle Trail
36 - North Missaukee Trails
37 - West Higgins & Beaver Creek Trails
40 - Old State House Trail
44 - Lincoln Hills, Tin Cup Spring & Little Manistee Trails
D - Huron Trails

MCCCT Needs:
Indian River to Afton
Thumb Lake Road (south of Tomahawk system) to Leetsville
Boardman River to Fife Lake (to south end of where MCCCT leaves Grand Traverse Loop system)
M-115 to M-37

MCCCT Cross State Connector Needs:
US-131 to Geels North

Miscellaneous:
Need part of St Helen #1 (east half)
Need part of Ogemaw Hills #2 (north half)
Eastern ORV Routes in Tomahawk system
ORV Routes in Atlanta system (north/central portion that includes grid area)
ORV Route connectors for Meadows into Luzerne
ORV Route connectors for Bull Gap into Mio, north from Bull Gap Hill and into McKinley

And if you have a GPS and want to give it a go on your own, I can provide some pointers on what works and what don't.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
That is waaay cool that you are GPSing the trails to update the books. This has been needed for a looong time.

I may be able to tag along on the Little Manistee Lincoln Hills if ya need a riding buddy. That is only like an hour away from me. It would be a weekend ride. Let me know what works for ya. Early is best for me.

Man ridding non stop for a few hours at a time. I thought I was the only one that likes doing that anymore. Most of my friends ride like 3 miles then stop for a smoke break.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
YZMAN400 said:
That is waaay cool that you are GPSing the trails to update the books. This has been needed for a looong time.
What's really funny is matching the Official map up while you are riding - usually it's off the GPS screen (I digitized the DNR maps and made the result into a map for the GPS). Now, it IS impressive with how close they are given no survey skills or technical toys, but man it's just sad in some areas.
YZMAN400 said:
I may be able to tag along on the Little Manistee Lincoln Hills if ya need a riding buddy.
That'd be cool, I'll let you know what's going on soon as I figure it out.

YZMAN400 said:
Man ridding non stop for a few hours at a time. I thought I was the only one that likes doing that anymore. Most of my friends ride like 3 miles then stop for a smoke break.
It's nice to ride alone, get to set your own pace. Fun to ride with people that are faster than you as well, somebody to chase. Unfortunately for me, the few that I get to ride with that are faster are so at a hell bent for leather speed and they tend to crash which cuts the ride short... Guess that's probably why I don't mind riding solo at times.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
2TrakR: You’re an Iron man! My bike isn’t street legal. Plus I'm just finishing my Berg's repair, I going to keep it to short rides until I trust my handy work? The rebuilds of these RFS four strokes are a lot tougher than the old XR's or Two smokes! I need to find out if I got it right or made a grenade? have fun!
Note: Are they ever going to offer the complete trail system on a CD that we could use on our puter?
E-mail me I might have someone that would be more of the type of rider you’re looking for. A fellow CCC member, my brother. I was camping with him up at the color tour. He's always looking for someone to do weekend rides.
:cool:

Last edited:

Godzuki

Sep 22, 2004
a smoke break hey i dont smoke hehe, but i do need a few stops do to my hands start to numb and cramp up after a bit. i normally need one about 10 minutes in and then i can increase them by a large part. i also could do the little mainistee, and or lincoln hills.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
70 marlin said:
Note: Are they ever going to offer the complete trail system on a CD that we could use on our puter?

Anything is possible. For certain we'll have a new mapbook, the rest is up in the air. My intent is to make the maps available for d/l for CCC members similar to what the DNR has so you can print your own copy out. I'd also like to make the trail data available as maps for your GPS (good excuse to buy one) as I find this extremely useful now (I have 'em loaded now). Another item would be track data for each system so you could load up a track for a trail system that you planned to ride that weekend; it would include waypoints for parking lots, gas and so on.

Just received a bunch of data from the CCC Graders; my list has been trimmed dramatically. Will update this thread when I sort things out tonight.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Update:
I'm going to ride North Missaukee trail this Sunday (10/31). I figure on the parking lot on Moorsetown Road in the AM (9-10). I can be reached - jvalley@mac.com if anyone wants to play tag.

Here's the updated trail "needs" list:

28 - Devil's Lake Route
37 - West Higgins & Beaver Creek Trails
44 - Lincoln Hills, Tin Cup Spring & Little Manistee Trails
D - Huron Trails

MCCCT Needs:
Indian River to Afton
Boardman River (Boardman River Road) to Fife Lake (to south end of where MCCCT leaves Grand Traverse Loop system)
M-37 to State Road (Lincoln Hills loop)

US-131 to Geels North

Miscellaneous:
Need part of St Helen #1 (east half that's in the Motorsports area)
White Cloud loop (the section not part of MCCCT)
Grand Traverse ORV Routes
ORV Routes in Atlanta system (north/central portion that includes grid area only, have remaining)
ORV Route connectors for Bull Gap into Mio, north from Bull Gap Hill and into McKinley
ORV Routes for North Missaukee
ORV Route for Little Manistee
Updated Cedar Creek
Updated Holton HorseShoe

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Another update as I receive more data from the helpful Graders. The list is getting very short.

28 - Devil's Lake Route
D - Huron Trails

MCCCT Needs:
Indian River to Afton
Boardman River (Boardman River Road) to Fife Lake (to south end of where MCCCT leaves Grand Traverse Loop system)

US-131 to West Higgins

Miscellaneous:
West Higgins (south portion of system)
ORV Routes in Atlanta system (north/central portion that includes grid area only, have remaining)
Updated Cedar Creek
Updated Holton HorseShoe

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
For anyone keeping score, here's the short list. The Routes I can get this winter on the sled or, for that matter, can take the wife/kid for a ride in one of our 4x4s.

Miscellaneous:
Grand Traverse Motorcycle Trail (half of #2 and #4)
West Higgins (south half)
Updated Cedar Creek
Updated Holton HorseShoe
ORV Route connectors for Bull Gap into Mio, north from Bull Gap Hill, into McKinley and to Mack Lake Campground
North Branch ORV Route (Big Bear/Crapo Creek system)
St Helen #3 ORV Routes (have route to Denton).
Devil's Lake Route
Huron Trails Route

roderick

Jun 21, 2004
It's great to see that you are about 95% ahead of me, my 5% is the fact that I own a GPS, use it and ride a bike. I've been trying this all summer but my tracks are always broken up. I use an eTrex Vista but i don't slow down my riding or stop to check, I don't want to interfear with my ride ya know. My plan was to plot all the trails over a DeLorme topo map although I'd guess max. elevation change in LP trails is 500-600ft ? It would still be fun to know what terrain is out there.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
roderick said:
I've been trying this all summer but my tracks are always broken up. I use an eTrex Vista

My Vista required and external re-radiating antennae to not lose signal frequently in heavy cover. They're about $50 and worth it. Even then, heavy pine or wet leaves would kill it.
The 60C I use now doesn't have this problem. It actually picks up better when it's got constant power too (vs battery) so much so that I've not lost lock on any of the trails I've ridden this fall. There are a couple spots where it got creative, but was back on track within 100 feet or so.

Top Bottom