FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
I was thinking about getting a YZ450F since it has such a good reputation but 39 inch tall seight! I'm only 5'6 and I dont even think I will be on my toes on this thing. Getting the seat lowered would be expensive too. Anyone own one or can tell bout this???

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Lowering is cheap.
Take off the seat cover and cut down the foam. An electric knife or a hacksaw even. I like a 4.5" angle grinder (messy). Replace the cover.

You can also modify (slot) the holes in the subframe connections to get a bit lower.

If that fails, you can have a shock tuner add a spacer to the shock rebound.
(You probably won't need this after you do the other things)

DO NOT raise your forks in the clamps to lower the bike.
Also, make sure that the suspension springs are proper for your weight and you have good sag prior to doing any changes.

B

biglou

FYI-There's not much seat to cut on the blue 450. The profile is much thinner than on the 400/426. I've read complaints that people can even feel the subframe through the seat in their butts.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm 5'5" and do fine with my 250F height wise (totally stock suspension, stock clickers, stock fork position, etc). I'm gonna put a tape measure on it this weekend to measure the true seat height. Reason I say that is I measured my friend's CRF 250 seat height to be 37.5" over the pegs and my 250F feels like it sits a tiny bit lower.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I was bouncing back and forth between all three 250 four strokes (Kawasuki, Honda, Yamaha) on the local dealer's showroom floor. (I didn't actually ride them ;) ), thinking that the Yamaha would be the tallest. Using the very unscientific "how far does the seat come up to my pocket when I'm standing beside it" method, I'd be surprised if the seat height on all three bikes varied more that 1/8" of an inch. Actual feel when riding them may be somewhat different (the thin Yamaha seat won't compress as much).

Things must be different this year, because I could have picked a CRF250 (if I were on the market for new bike) right then and there, instead of the usual "you are #62 on the waiting list and will pay a $1500 premium for being so impulsive" routine.

Ooooop, this thread was about shortening a YZF450. Some people have had success lowering (shortening) the suspension (done by a reputable suspension shop).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If the CRF250 has the same seat as the 450... it sinks a LOT. Too much. First time in my life to get monkey-butt was due to that seat! Way too soft IMHO. Put a SDG tall seat on it, no more monkey-butt. :aj:

B

biglou

Oh, I was going to add, also, that to me, the CRF ergonomics are much tighter than the YZF. Peg to seat distance seems an inch or so shorter. So maybe that helps those shorter than I, providing they can get moving?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
A YZF450 has a seat? ;) I thought i had vinyl stapled to the air box. I'm 5'10 and all leg but have to say that once the suspension warmed up it seemed to squat better when sitting on and didnt feel as tall. I think my 86 YZ250 sits taller than the new 450's.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
guess I'll hop on one at the local dealer to see how it is, called them and they said it would be about $500 to professionally lower ouch. And Nikki I'd appreciate the extra effort of measuring the seight. Thanks a load people

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You should get a quote from Jeremy Wilkey at MX Tech Suspension.
Dealers are for showrooms and salesmen.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I had a feeling....

I measured up some seat heights tonight and this is what I found:

04 CRF 250 (stock suspension/sag/clickers/6-8 hours ride time) - 37.3" above pegs

04 CRF 450 (stock suspension/sag/clickers/6-8 hours ride time) - 37.2" above pegs

03 YZ 250F (stock suspension/sag/clickers/50+ hours ride time) - 37.0" above pegs

I find this all very interesting as I generally hear the Hondas sit around 37" and the Yamahas around 39". My guess is they are measuring at different points. Either that or my 250F has lost a little spunk in the seat height department.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think sag has to be spot-on before a seat height measurment is taken, or it is moot.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
all about 37 inches that is interesting, if I get a new bike I wouldnt mind the seight height losing its spunk 37 inches is just fine for me

NJP3

Jul 29, 2003
I think yam measures thier seat heigts at a dif spot than honda, cuz the 250s and 450s from both are all about 37, but yam says in the specs 39
my guess is that they mesure diferntly
best bet is to sit on one and see for your self

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think sag has to be spot-on before a seat height measurment is taken, or it is moot.

All three bikes are virtually at showroom stock settings in the suspension area and the sag is around 100mm for the owner and the amount of free sag at the current race sag settings is between 15mm and 30mm so right in line with where it should be. None of the forks have been moved in the clamps.

04 CRF 250 - came home with 100-105mm of sag for a 145 lb with gear rider. The free sag is at 30mm so the shock spring rate is a little on the stiff side but won't be swapped out.

04 CRF 450 - came home with 95-100mm of sag for a 250 lb with gear rider. The free sag is at 15mm so the shock spring rate is a little on the soft side but won't be swapped out.

03 YZ 250F - came home with 100mm of sag for a 140 lb with gear rider. The free sag is at 30mm so the shock spring rate is a little on the stiff side but won't be swapped out.

So it seems that the seat height comparison should be fairly accurate since the bikes all have stock spring rates and free sag within spec (between .6 and 1.2 inches).

Now I did ride an 04 YZ 450F yesterday that had to sit at least 1 inch higher than my 250F (stock suspension and sag set for a 135 lb with gear rider). So once again, maybe my lower 250F seat height is an exception?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by FlyinHawaiin
So how was your ride on that big ol' 450, did you ride it long enough to make comparisons to the other bikes you have been on??? Do tell

Quick summary/comparison of the 04 YZ 450F, an 02 CRF 450 (Red's), and an 01 YZ 426F (Red's old bike)...

First of all I'm a little person, so a 450 of any type is a handful... but I MUCH rather ride the CRF over a YZF big bore ANY DAY! The YZ 450F turnened much better than the 426 and felt lighter, but was still a handful and heavy and a workout for me. Plus it sits higher, is harder to start (sometimes the kickstarter just gets locked up and won't kick), and I stalled it a few times (like going through a turn in 2nd gear). I stalled the 426 a lot as well. Once I got going on the YZ 450F though, it was pretty fun and has awesome power and isn't has hard hitting as the 426 was. The suspension on the YZ 450F was horrible for me like riding a quad over rough stuff and I had to stand just to reduce the beating on my body. Would I wanna race a YZ 450F - no thanks. Would I wanna ride it a few laps - sure. Would I wanna race or ride a 426 - no way!

Now... the CRF 450 to me is a whole different animal. I really like the CRF and feel comfortable riding it. For example, I raced Red's CRF last year at Casey (tight one lined MX track through the trees/little hills with lots of tight 180 turns and off-cambre turns) and it was actually kinda fun. Only things that bothered me was the bike was a little heavier than I would have liked (felt comparable to a 250cc 2-stroke) and the turning wasn't the best. Like I would try for the inside line and normally end up on the outside by the time I got through the turn. But I would say the CRF turns about the same or a little better than the YZ 450F, and feels lighter. The CRF also seems to sit a little lower and is pretty easy to start. I never had a problem with stalling the CRF, and stopping and starting it again is pretty easy. The power is smoother and not as hard hitting as the Yamahas either. The suspension is stiff, but not as stiff as the new YZ 450F. Would I wanna race a CRF - sure! I actually finished 2nd outta 15 when I raced Red's last year and beat the 3rd place girl pretty easily. Just a few weeks earlier at the same track I had a hard time keeping in front of her on my 125.

So for little ole' me... the CRF 450 is the better big bike choice! :thumb:

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
Funny my Kawi freak buddy said the same thing about it being rough. Soon as he got off the trails he just told me "I need to lay down" and just kinda passed out. He is more used to the lower kawi seat too, heh poor guy. I dont think 450's are really my thing but I think I will check out the CRF450 some time I have been meaning to this past month anyway.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I went to the UK bike show today, i sat on all the major brands-they were all about the same height, the 04 RM 125 was very tall, but mine with a softer spring was alot smaller-so once you bed them in, i think they will all drop a few inches.

Top Bottom