Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
It was right where I left it :nod: .

Let me start by saying that I haven’t ridden my dirt bike (2004 CRF450R) much in the last 4-5 years. It always seemed that besides the weekly trail riding trips, I’d get one or two big rides in and maybe,a camping trip to go ride somewhere every year. That had all pretty much stopped. If I got three real rides a year in over the past 3 years I'd be impressed. Sadly, most of the easy to get to riding in RI has all but dried up; trails blocked off, tracks closed, etc. There also seems to be few people my age in the area that are interested in trail riding. Driving 3 hours to ride is good once in a while, but for a regular ride I’d prefer something closer.

Then there were surgeries and injuries. There was this tree. . . shoulder and ribs. There was a rock. . knee. There was old age rearing it’s ugly head. . . elbow, and lower back. Couple all of that with the lack of riding areas and my general lack of interest in getting out there means my bike spends a lot more time idle than it does being ridden.

Enter my nephew Dave and his son. Some of you might remember them from DW04. They have been riding motocross for a couple of years now. Dave has been after me to ride the MX series with him since he got involved. This year I agreed to give it a try.

The rider:
I’m 300+ 40+ . Surprisingly, I’m in great shape except for the boat load of fat I truck around. I can run a 5k without calling the paramedics, and I’m more flexible than my 20 something kids. I’m a middle of the pack C rider in the woods, yet on the track I’m a neophyte. I’m eager to learn but I’ve still got a mortgage to pay for and other obligations that preclude me “going for it” on a 100ft triple.

Somehow, someway, suddenly my desire to ride the bike has been rekindled. I kinda feel like I’m back.

The bike:
I am ashamed of the shape that I’ve let this bike deteriorate to. Sure it ran, and the oil and air filter were clean, but dayumn! Just about everything else has been left to flounder.

Here’s the list so far:
  • Fork seal replaced. Fork oil changed.
  • Every linkage, steering head, and wheel bearings inspected, lubed, and/or replaced
  • Spokes tightened.
  • Surprisingly enough the chain and sprocket are in pretty damned good shape
  • Chain slider replaced.
  • Brake rotor (rear) replaced
  • Brake shoes replaced
  • The air box: This is shameful; I must have pulled about 2 heaping cups of goey sticky muck out of the bottom and the sides of the airbox. Sure the filter was kept clean but the box was left to rot. It took me about 2 hours of scrubbing and scraping to get down to the plastic.
  • New KW valves springs keepers, etc all around
  • New piston and ring kit with new gaskets of course
  • The swingarm: Another “dayumn” The level of crud built up was incredible. I ended up using a scraper to get under it and pry it off in layers. A couple of hours later and it was looking almost new.
  • Pipe. The pipe has been a redish brown color since my last trip to cooperland. I thought it was just rust. Nope. I took a wire brush to it and lo and behold there was the pipe underneath . Who knew?

I’m sure I’ve missed something on this list. I’ve been scrubbing and scraping so much I’m getting punchy.

All in all I’ve been at it almost every night for a week and I’m still not done with the cleaning and repair. And, honestly, I still won’t have it Bling-lou clean even when I am done. But I’ll be closer to clean than this bike has been since I took it off the showroom floor. :cool:

Now if I could only ride it faster. . . :whoa:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Cool. Glad to see your back on the bike. I remember watching your Clash of the Titans race thinking damn Keith has some skills, imagine how fast he could go if he wasn't so Beeeg!

Now that I ride enduro's it seems like I spend 2 hours working on the bike for every hour I ride. Closest place to ride is two hours away. Lord only knows what I would do with all the time and money saved if I were to quit but I would be miserable without it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Here I was thinking Pred was riding your bike at Southwick? Get the springs for your weight, and have the suspension serviced. See if they believe the valving will be okay with the spring change. If you start riding faster, hitting obstacles and such, you will find out the bike was set up for a maniac at 160 pounds. Bling will not make you faster, but some killer suspension mods may, and be able to ride longer.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You mean to tell me there was a dirtsickle underneath that hunk of brown greasy crud sitting in your garage?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks for the kind words. As for my Beeegness, Either it can't be helped, or I have no desire to really change. In any event, Beeeg is what I is.

springs and valving was the first thing I did when I bought the bike. Most all of my riding at the time was in the woods, so I had it set up for that, with the ability to click it up and make it passable on a track if need be.
Of course, I might be a biscuit or two heavier now than I was then :uh: If I make it through this season I'll send it off to Jer and have him switch it from a woods(ish) suspension back to MX

Rooster, It was closer to a dirtsickle than a mosickle when i started. It's nice to see it coming back to life.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good stuff PK, rock it for us more "mature, less than optimal specimen" types!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
PapaKeith, I'm very disappointed in your lack of keeping up with the airbox and I demand you leave the airbox in my garage for future nurture and care. Please leave it attached to the bike.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Congrats, Keith. I think I could have inserted my name on your post and sounded pretty much the same, except for the Beeg part. I'm waiting on the Doc to determine if I need knee surgery(likely).
As for the Cooperland coloring on your bike, it would be really cool to gather for a reunion ride. Everyone should have some red stains on everything that goes riding with them. Maybe Rooster will get you a helmet cam so we can all experience the Clash of the Titans!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Recheck the race sag and static sag measurements. Or check MX Techs spring calculator, make sure you add in your gear weight. Usage and speed make a determining factor on the valving for sure, but ask Jer. And if it has been sitting a while, and has the black fork seals, they may be short for this world, just from sitting. He uses some fancy more better green seals now! Now about the Dirtweek 2011? Stupid gas prices.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well Keith this is all good but make sure you keep it at least a bit woods ready for 1 or 2 road trips!!!!! :ride: :nod:

Who'd a thunk that much mass can move that fast around a track :nener:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The no riding lapses come and go. The fun is always still there. And the bikes get better! Wilkey has a Huck valve for the forks, and rumored to be working on something similar for the rear shock. Unbelievable difference. It totally removes any bottoming or severe shock.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I had the suspension done when I first bought the bike by a local tuner. In hindsight, it was a mistake. But, what's done is done. The CRF has never handled as well as my 500 did after Jeremy got done working on it.
Once my slush fund recovers some I'll probably send my stuff off to MX-Tech for a rework. Until then, what I've got will just have to do.

exiting a corner at Southwick

Attachments

• southwickmay2011small.jpg
    southwickmay2011small.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 99
Top Bottom