rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
I rode last weekend for the first time in over a year. Single track and moderate whoops which I hit at velocity, face by face.

Any advice on improving my style? Semic or Bailey videos?

Thanks for your replies!

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If you're hitting each and every face that means you could probably wheelie over at least 1 or 2 at a time. If not try (within your means) going a little faster so that you skip over the top. Just make sure you don't skip off the trail into any trees!

------------------

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
I try to stay to the side as much as possible to avoid the largest part of the whoops. Us old guys tire easily :o

------------------
Tim, '99EC200, '01TXT200

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I thought I'd charge through some woods woops stadium-style, and it didn't work out too well. The front tire hit the bottom of the face of one of the whoops and ejected me over the bars while I was in third gear. I was flying through the trees like superman until my face smacked a 6 inch one. Other than a really sore neck some bruises and cuts from the underside of the bars, and some rattled nerves, I was O.K. My helmet seemed to be hotter after the crash and after the race, i learned why. The mouth vent was completely filled with hickory bark. Learn at your own pace, as the consequences of a screw-up can be much worse when you're surrounded by telephone poles.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
Mike 200 I would say that your suspension could use a little adjusting. Rick shaw I would recommend getting a little more seat time, then try some wheeling. but be smooth. don't try to skip, and wheelie. try to keep your rear wheel down, and ride on it all the way through. That is the fastest way to do it.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Thanks for the posts. I guess my search for a magical solution will not overcome my age and limited saddle time!;)

I plan on practicing at a local site to increase my speed and stay on top of the whoops. Unfortunately my riding time is limited to once a month.

Keep on chargin!

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Rich,
I thought you were getting through the woops reasonably well for your first ride in over a year and breaking in a brand new bike.

The only suggestions / comments I'd add (you know, me being an expert and all ;) ) would be to get up on the balls of your feet more, and get a little further back on the bike to allow it to 'float' and buck a little more freely.

It really does get easier as your speed increases, you only end up hitting the peaks instead of dropping into the big troughs.

Also, the old timed wheelie help heaps on the sort 3 - 6 whoop sections.

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
My suspension works great and I have plenty of seat time, just so you know. The problem was that the whoops were made by wash-outs and 4-wheelers, so the spacing was wierd and there were whoops that were washed out at a sharp angle. My front wheel got hooked on one the the washouts in a whoop and hit the next one at an angle. Maybe if I were stronger or had a scotts, I'd be alright, but i'm skinny and damperless, so I shouveled it. What should I do in this situation?

Top Bottom