Why all the KTM400's for Sale??

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'd like to know as well since I keep saying that's going to be my next bike. I haven't checked if they are E/XC, M/XC or SX. If SX I'd understand since the '00 ones only had 4 speed trannies vs. the 6 speeds in the new ones. 4 gears is okay for a 520 but not the 400.

Wish I was ready to upgrade!

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Since one of them posted for sale is mine, I will let you know. I have an 02 400EXC arriving late Aug/early Sept and would like to sell mine before the new one arrives. Awesome bike! No problems, I just like to get a new bike every year. This is the first time ever that I have bought the same bike 2 years in a row so I must really like it.

Dec 22, 2000
Dito here. I am allowed (by boss) to get a new bike every 2 years, so I do.. Gess what ? I am also getting the same bike twice in a row.(400 EXC) I love my 00 400EXC, but what the h... I can have a new one ,so why not. The good thing is now guys who prefer to buy used can ride the best too. :D

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Not what he wanted to hear.....

Wow Strick this probably does not help your dilemma any.....You were probably hoping they all were getting rid of the orange bike and lining up for that Red 450...?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Re: Not what he wanted to hear.....

Originally posted by 380EXCman
Wow Strick this probably does not help your dilemma any.....You were probably hoping they all were getting rid of the orange bike and lining up for that Red 450...?

Husaman, they just won't come clean!

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
When Honda brings out an XR450F with estart, lights etc... I'll probably consider one but it is going to be too costly to conver the CR into a woods bike for me. In Canada, we need lights and a plate to go in an enduro or organized trail ride.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
One of the reasons I went with the Berg besides a low price was the fact it had 2-1/2 gallon tank a six speed tranny and the 48mm forks. I had a deposit on a 520SX thinking it would be a 6 speed but know one could confirm that. I also said I would take a 450 if they made one knowing it would more than likely be a 6 speed. But there does not seem to be one in the works.

I was tired of waiting for KTM to release some info on the 2002. I dont know if it is stradegy or not but KTM still has not come clean. I think it was a poor marketing decision to wait.

I guess it doesnt really matter now.......

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Blah,blah,blah,blah,blah - blah

Originally posted by 380EXCman
One of the reasons I went with the Berg besides a low price was the fact it had 2-1/2 gallon tank a six speed tranny and the 48mm forks. I had a deposit on a 520SX thinking it would be a 6 speed but know one could confirm that. I also said I would take a 450 if they made one knowing it would more than likely be a 6 speed. But there does not seem to be one in the works.

I was tired of waiting for KTM to release some info on the 2002. I dont know if it is stradegy or not but KTM still has not come clean. I think it was a poor marketing decision to wait.

I guess it doesnt really matter now.......

Man you are soundin' like my local KTM dealer in your 1st paragraph.

Anyway your second paragraph hits the nail on the head for me. KTM should have been quicker with their release info. for '02. Honda is going to capture a lot of the rfs market.

Seriously though, the tank, skid plate, o-ring, blah,blah, blah. I will add later, if I really like the bike. I plan on riding it often and hard for one month. If it is not much better than my 300 (for me) then I am selling it! I will then probably get a new (or used) KTM 400SX. I'm still keepin the 'ole 300 though:)

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Maybe........

Maybe these guy will upgrade to a 520 ?????? Same bike with more power ,who wouldn't like that ???? :) Regarding KTM's "unwise"marketing decision...i'm sure they will sell every RFS made anyway.....in Europe it's nearly impossible to find a KTM RFS in a dealer showroom in April ...And Honda asn't a enduro version of the CRF450 yet ......

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Mech... Who else of the top 5 manf. really sells an enduro, other than Yamaha's WR, and the Honda 650R? When you see Paul Edmondson riding enduros, was his bike originally made for it? How about Rodney Smith? Was his Suzuki made as an enduro bike.

I realize you love your bike. You should they are awesome bikes. I've said this before, I am real curious about the CRF450. I might keep the bike 30 days, sell it, and get a KTM 400sx. Who knows. I'll stil have my 300 anyway.

Here is what I do know. I can afford to buy the bike out right. If I don't like it after 30 days (or so) I can get rid of it. I'll make you a 'gentleman's bet' right now. I will not sell it for less than I paid for it, if I do sell it soon after purchase.

and Mech... how hard is it just to say the new 520SX has a 6 speed, a couple of months in advance? Anyway we will know all in late August after the KTM dealer's show!:D

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Actually, you wont have to wait untill the end of August for some models. One of the local dealers already has (should say had) '02 models on his floor. The (2) '02 520 SX models they had disappeared in a hearbeat so I can't say about the tranny. My freind picked up his '02 250 SX and they didn't have a scrap of info on the bike. He didn't even pay for it as they didn't have pricing yet !!! They said they'd settle up in a few days. Ha ha, can you imaging that? (He's a good freind of the dealer, so this was a rather unusual occurance.) Anyhow, you think KTM would at least get some literature to their dealers ahead of the bikes.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Actually, you wont have to wait untill the end of August for some models. One of the local dealers already has (should say had) '02 models on his floor. The (2) '02 520 SX models they had disappeared in a hearbeat so I can't say about the tranny. My freind picked up his '02 250 SX and they didn't have a scrap of info on the bike. He didn't even pay for it as they didn't have pricing yet !!! They said they'd settle up in a few days. Ha ha, can you imaging that? (He's a good freind of the dealer, so this was a rather unusual occurance.) Anyhow, you think KTM would at least get some literature to their dealers ahead of the bikes.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by Bud-Man
Anyhow, you think KTM would at least get some literature to their dealers ahead of the bikes.

My dad didn't get the case that comes with every KTM with his '02 380 SX until a few weeks after we picked up the bike.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by Bud-Man
Anyhow, you think KTM would at least get some literature to their dealers ahead of the bikes.

I saw on CNN that they did in fact ship the literature at the same time they shipped the bikes, but that ship ran aground and has been delayed. The ship with the bikes on it made it no problem.

Finally, the euro bikes getting some press coverage.

Top Bottom