Why are T-handle wrenches so expensive?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I don't get it, it's a socket welded to 2 steel rods and a set of 8 is $60? What gives? :silly:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I bought mine, which are deep sockets, for $35. If I had to do it over I would go with the ratcheting t-handle and use the sockets and extensions I already have.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why are 4T exhausts so spendy? Because people want them.
Why are Hummer H2's becoming less expensive than 2 years ago? Less people are wanting them.
Why do people spend $500 for a 4 stroke exhaust to gain 2hp at peak but they won't drop the same to make their bike handle better? Can't see or hear it.

I have a T handle that I swap 1/4" drive sockets out on. Slightly less handy as having one of every size until you lay the one you need down somplace and can't find it. With the sockets your almost forced to keep them in a pocket or snapped back on the holder.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
This is the one that I use.

Tool

Removable sockets on each end (8, 10 & 12mm) I can almost strip my CR down to the frame with this one tool. My KTM is a different story.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I bought a set of Motopro T's, paid over 90 bucks for them , I was so Jazzed with them until I read this thread, now I feel like I got gropped.

But hell, still worth it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've wrenched for over 30 years and have never owned (or used) a tee handle.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I only started using t-handles a few years ago, but really like the convenience, etc., that they provide. Makes for quick adjustments, tear-downs, etc.... I think I gave around $40 for the motion pro set.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
If you know how to weld....make your own, that's what my buddy did. He just bought himself a bunch of sockets 1/4", then bought some metal rod that would fit nicely inside the 1/4", then he just spot welded the two together, took another shorter piece of metal rod, and spot welded it perpendicular to the other rod, and there you have a T handle, they've never broken in the past 12 years we've been riding together,

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Better to weld a tee on top of a 1/4" extension. (shrug)

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
true, never thought of that one...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Jaybird
I've wrenched for over 30 years and have never owned (or used) a tee handle.

LOL, same here, never owned a t-handle. :thumb: Eric and I were having this same discussion last Sunday in his shop.

I'll use his t-handles on occasion to break side cover and case bolts loose only because I'm afraid someday my 35 year old Snap On 1/4" swivel head ratchet will give up the ghost so I try not to put excessive torque on it. That ratchet is the first real tool I got when I was 10 years old and I've grown sort of fond of it. It's like a little chrome plated friend. :worship:

When I was pulling the engine out of Billy Who's bike at DW01 he came up to me and asked where my t-handles were. I told him I never use them and he looked at me like this :scream: He walked away shaking his head like I was from Mars as I spun bolts out just as fast using my trusty 1/4 & 3/8 swivel head tools. :)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
When I go for a T-handle the only one I use is part of a socket set. The really nice thing I like about it is that the top bar has a detent in the middle to hold it centered but it can be slid to either side to act like a spinner. I break a bolt loose, slide the bar over and use one finger to spin away. I doubt I'd ever use a rigid T-handle.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by JPIVEY
I bought a set of Motopro T's, paid over 90 bucks for them , I was so Jazzed with them until I read this thread, now I feel like I got gropped.

Casper.

Got a flyer from Craparral a couple days ago. They have the Motion Pro set on sale for $29.99.

Sorry Jim. :eek:

Ol'gropenator.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'm like Rich in that I've been wrenching for a long time, also started off with auto repair, have never owned T handles, and my favorite tool is my 1/4" drive ratchet. However, my "chrome friend" is one of the old Craftsman fine tooth version with the quick spin disk under it, which they no longer make due to a lawsuit from a guy who patented it and sued them. Which also means I'm really afraid of breaking it since I can't replace it.

I'm not sure why all the dirtbike guys are so into T handles but I figure I should get one with 8/10/12mm sockets to keep in my Camelback for trail use. Maybe one day I'll understand....

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I made my own in high school, I brazed together a 3/8" extension and a steel bar, cost was about $6. Works on everything from 8mm - 20mm sockets, short or deep. It's the most used tool in my toolbox and the only one that's home made. :confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by motometal
Rich, what do you mean by "swivel head"?&nbsp; Is that like an open end wrench with a swivel head?

MM - it looks like this :

34738.JPG

When the head is at 90 degrees it works like a speed handle and is every bit as fast as a t-handle IMO. At 90 degress the leverage is fairly minimal so it minimizes the chance of overtorquing small fasteners.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I ended up buying a set from a track vendor for 40$. I agree that these things are great, i have only had them for about 2 weeks and use them all the time now. There great for going over all the fender bolts before a ride.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

MM - it looks like this :

34738.JPG

Very similar to the one I have,
I agree with Rich on this, put a 6 inch extension on that little bugger, and bolts are flying everywhere. :flame:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
www.bobscycle.com t-handle set for $29.99 which includes sizes 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17 & 19.

Top Bottom