Why arm pump is stronger in right hand?

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
Why arm pump is stronger in right hand? Everytime I get arm pump, in right hand is much more stronger then in left hand. Brake lever is soft (more then clutch). I'm riding with index fingers on levers mostly. Maybe my palm position is wrong - can someone show me proper position of right hand/palm on throttle?

Thanks
Jarda YZ250

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I got arm pump on left side cause I didn't use the clutch that much. Once I started using the clutch it got better.

You said brake is soft? Is there alot of pull? i.e. have to pull in front brake really far to get full stopping power? I personally have my brakes at instant engagement so there is very little movement but it seems to be enuff to prevent arm pump.

Whats your riding level? beginner, intermediate, pro?

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
do have ur hand twisted so the wrist and forearm are at an angle cause u could try to keep your hand and forarm at an almost striaght line... it could be that u hold on to the bar to hard

Jarda

Apr 22, 2002
SpectraSVT:
My skill level,hmm, :-) I'm riding less then 2 years, but without any trainer (no chance to find a good trainer here:-( My opinion is - a bit experienced beginner.
Brake: my brake lever is soft (YZ250) on the beginning of movement, then harder. I tried different bikes (YZ125,250'03,RM250) and I think there is not a big difference.

jacobone:
when I get a full throttle my wrist is lower then palm. When I want to keep wrist and arm in one line (and full throttle) I have to overgrip. It is not comfortable and could be dangerous (I think). What is proper layout of arm, wrist and hand in riding phases - initial position, accel., braking, full throttle.....?

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Not sure if I can give you exact positions for your hands but I'll try. I usually have my levers just below level so I don't have to reach for em. Some people like them turned down to keep them in an agressive stance.

With that being said, I keep my wrist and arm together most of the time. If I hit a section that requires a full throttle angle, I adjust and regrip. As soon as I'm out of the full throttle section I regrip again. If your constantly keeping your hand position ready for full throttle it gets tiring quickly.

Now for braking, I can't say I pay attention to that because i try to stand while braking as much as possible and only sit when I hit the corner then back up again. I have learned that if you concentrate on holding the bike with your knees you don't hold on as tight when accelerating and braking.

So, try and learn to regrip for certain situations so you are minimizing your motions i.e. not twisting more than needed. Less twisting keeps you in the correct position. and takes less effort.

Hope that helps?

Top Bottom