Why did my Honda CR 125 seize? Piston caught intake port. (Photo)

DomasMX

Apr 16, 2009
Hello guys,

I hope that someone will be able to explain me why my Honda CR 125 (1998) seized yesterday.

Recently I rebuilt bottom and top end. New Hotrods conrod, new Wossner piston kit. My cylinder was honed for 53.95 mm. Assembled everything really carefully. I set the correct ring end gap following the manual, I checked that the gap is correct in top, middle and bottom of the cylinder.

Then I started a break in. Prepared fresh premix 1:25 using fully synthetic Motul oil.

The bike started easily from a few kicks. The compression felt stronger as compared with the previous Honda OEM 53.94 piston. So firstly I let it idle till engine was warm and then shut it, let it cool down. Then I started it again, went for a short 10 min ride using short little throttle bursts. My plug fouled this time because of using more oil in premix and riding really slow in low rpms. I changed the plug and waited till engine cools down completely.

Then I tried to kickstart it for the third time and after a few kicks the engine just stuck. Here is what I found when I took off the cylinder head and unstuck the piston. The piston caught the top edge of an intake port.

Why could that happen?? How should I fix that?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Ouch. Have you pulled the jug back off yet? It's possible one of the circlips was not seated for the piston pin and backed out, although I would expect more damage from that. It's also possible that one of the rings was not seated around the locating pin. How about some pics of the jug and piston removed?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
Top Bottom