Why does my GF's RT100 lack power?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
It is a 97 100cc two stroke.

She is 5'6" and 130lbs.

The bike is incapable of a wheelie unless she dumps the clutch.

Should a 100 two stroke not be able to wheelie with a 130lb rider?

Plug looks good (brown) and it starts EASY, usually on the firt kick. Has never fouled a plug in the two months we have owned it. I just did a compression test and got 120psi (which seems excellent considering the compression ratio is listed at 6.7:1) I also took the carb apart to have a look in there and all appeared fine. I cleaned the carb and reassembled with no change.

So, should an RT100 not have any power at all, or what?

If it should have power - any ideas of what I should look at cleaning/adjusting/fixing on it next?

Thanks,
Phil

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
No one here knows if an RT100 should or should not be able to wheelie with a 130lb rider on it and no clutch tricks?

I read reviews that say it will wheelie, but they never say with what rider. I suppose with an 8yo on it, it might wheelie great. Anyone else here have an RT100 and can say weather it has wheelie power or not?

Thanks,
Phil

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
uhh....
Is "Wheelie Power" a new spec or something? Where have I been?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A million years ago (or so it seems) I had a Yammy 100 enduro. It was a nice bike for an 12 yr old. But from what I recall, it wouldn't do power wheelies. It wasn't much over jumps either.

But I might add, if she was a real wheelie queen, an RT100 would do it. I'm sure the guys who do the magazine tests are rather proficient at wheelies.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Did you buy the optional powerband with the bike? I'm pretty sure you'll need that if you want to do wheelies, and I know it doesn't come standard with the cheaper models.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Rich has the sarcasim font turned on in his post, but its not far from the truth. My first bike was an 81 MX 100 (an RT with metal tank) Back in those days I was in the 130 lb range, and the only way to make that bike wheelie on flat ground was to sit on the back wheel, flog the throttle and pop the clutch. I currently own a RT 100, my girlfireds bike, and she loves the little blue mini me to deth. The bike tracks great even in snoty mud and rocks, its tractor like first gear and motor power will wind up surprising hills and terrain. I keep wanting to get her someting a bit bigger with some more power, but every time she rides the bike she gets better and praises the thing to high heaven. We just rode Sunday. When I hinted she may be ready for another bike this year ohhhh she got mean I thell you! :debil: When I had my MX, I geared it down with the largest and smalles sprockets I could get (dont remember the #s) and was able to get it to loft the front wheel with a HARD yank of the bars and all the throttle it had in 3rd gear, 1st gear was more or less useless though. So, No the RT should not be able to wheelie. :laugh: It has low compression Ratio as you said, it has NO expansion chamber in the stock pipe so there is no real "power band" hit. I have searched the earth over looking for a pipe with a chamer for the bike, as far as I know, if you want one, youll have to fabricate it, and it wont be easy considering the shape of the area you have to work with. Its not like you could graft a YZ 80 pipe to the job. Let her ride and enjoy the bike, theres nothing wrong with it. And DONT be one of those boners that removes the oil injection system! There is noting wrong with that either if your not fouling plugs!

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Thanks a lot for the answers guys. Glad to know it is working the way it should.
My GF loves hers a lot too ;)

Phil

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
yea my son has a 1999 RT100 and he is only about 95 lbs and his dont have the power either BUT I have seen it throw him on his back before.

J

Top Bottom