Why is my bike so hard to get into neutral?

When the bike is running, its really hard to get into neutral, today i couldnt even get it into neutral. but when its off, its easy. also when its in first and i have the clutch in the bike rolls a bit.

the bike is a 2002 yz125.

Moose

Subscriber
It's usually hard to find neutral in all bikes. Once you get to know your bike good, it'll be a snap. It's usually just a "half-click" up from first gear. Just raise your foot slowly, and you should feel it.

yeah it usually is easy to find neutral, but today it just wouldnt work.

that happens sometime to me too. i dont get why it isnt 5 up like the old bikes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
That would make it too easy to hit neutral when you don't want to...

I can almost never hit neutral, unless I don't want to.

Sounds like you clutch is dragging. This will make it hard to hit neutral and cause the bike to creep in first. First, check the oil in the trans. Make sure it's clean and full. Next, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted correctly. With some luck, it's out of adjustment. If it's good, then you'll have to pull the cover and check your clutch. Check to see if any of the plates are warped. Also check for excessive wear on the basket and inner hub which might be causing it to hang up and not fully release. If it uses a bearing on the push rod, check it's condition including the race(s). The only other think I can come up with would be to make sure the nut that retains the inner hub is not loose.

Best of luck,

Marc -

IndyYZ85 said:
That would make it too easy to hit neutral when you don't want to...

I can almost never hit neutral, unless I don't want to.
This is so true. The neutral is small, though, because how often do you really need to hit neutral? Maybe, when you're trying to start the bike after you've dumped it, but that's about it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
76GMC1500 said:
This is so true. The neutral is small, though, because how often do you really need to hit neutral? Maybe, when you're trying to start the bike after you've dumped it, but that's about it.
Well, there you've went and said it...

I do really need to hit neutral alot. There's a good reason I don't have nice pretty plastic on my bike. The damn thing spends alot of time on it's side!! ;)

I learned that it is designed to be like that. Just to prevent it from going into neutral when you are riding. Could get messy in a corner or in a jump if you have no gear :)
That was what the KTM dealer told me anyway.

What?? Clutches are never designed to drag. That puts a lot of extra stress on the transmission for no reason. It also makes it pretty tough to kick start the bike while it's still in gear. You need to determine why it's not fully releasing and correct the problem. If the arm your clutch cable attaches to is on the left side of the engine (I think most mx bikes are), your cable will get tighter as the clutch wears. This will require you to shorten the cable over time. If you don't adjust it, your clutch will start to slip under load. Your problem is the opposite - it won't fully release when you pull it in. Check that your cable doesn't have excessive play. Another often neglected maintenace item is lubricating the cable. If the cable isn't lubricated, it will tend to bind in the jacket causing it's length of pull to shorten. If it's adjusted and lubed, the problem is in the clutch itself. Pull it out and check the items I mentioned in my previous post.

Marc -

Hydrodynamic forces between the friction plates, oil, and steels are what causes a clutch to drag. There is minimal wear on the clutch, some heat is generated. The only way to eliminate the clutch drag associated with motorcycle transmissions is to go to a dry clutch. We're not talking drag that will push the bike forward with the clutch in, we're talking drag that will cause the rear wheel to spin some if you lift it off the ground. Even marine transmissions with wet clutches like the Velvet Drives drag to an extent.

I couldnt start my yz while in gear, the clutch basket has grooving but its not horrible yet, and the plates are still fresh, so possibly too much slack in the cable.

Bunya

What?? Clutches are never designed to drag. That puts a lot of extra stress on the transmission for no reason.

--so does that mean that feathering the clutch puts extra stress as well?