Why is this considered so bad/not cool?

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
mtk said:
4) Aerodynamic drag is an exponential function, which means that a slight increase in speed results in a large increase in drag. So going from 90mph to 100mph takes a LOT more power than it did to go from 80mph to 90mph.

That is what is happening to my high geared/heavily tuned 450. 100 is fairly easy, aero begins to take over for some reason approaching 108. There is throttle left over, but it does no good, the power/gearing/drag lines have crossed for that machine, my 250 F seems to be around 87ish.

I am sorry my link to the calc doesnt work, if it did, you would find what MTK is saying, areo drag is a log issue, non linear.

PS I would still pay good money to see a 125 do 90, FWIW I have what is considered the baddest 125 sold and it has trouble pulling gears pass 60. I have the advantage of having lots of motorcycles, I am going to have to take a picture of the herd some day. Maybe a christmas pic. :)

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
HajiWasAPunk said:
so what happens when you modify the bike and bore it out?
No gears are changed, the rpms are still the same (right?), the tire and sprockets are still the same, yet the bike is faster?

Or does it only accelerate faster?

well. I'm not talkin' about a big bore kit or anything, I'm talkin' high revs. You're right. If everything is turning at the same speed, no matter how much power you have.. you won't go any faster ;)

I'm just curious what my bike can do (only one way to find out :p ). So.. 60 hp, taller gearing, good traction... I wonder what the speed cutoff is where the mph will not increase, due to significant wind resistance increases, because the curves are not parallel between mph and wind resistance.

Top Bottom