wich epoxy and tools for porting?

Techfreak

Aug 25, 2002
Hi,
I will try a porting on a small old 2-stroke motor.
I used the Bimotion-Software in order to find all port shape datas and now I will check it out.
Thats why I need epoxy for some ports.
Can you tell me some good products?
Can I use it in the exhaust port (resisting the heat)?
And i need also a small 90deg angle hand tool or a similar one (60deg).
So does anybody know a good hand piece?
Much thanks ahead.
bye

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Hi Techfreak!
I use many different types of epoxies. The most common is a brand called JB Weld. It is a 2-part liquid, resin and hardener. It has the ability to pour into areas and conform, I use it in the hooks of rear transfers. The other material is marketed by Permatex as a fuel tank and radiator emergency patch kit. It is a putty, more solid in form. I use it to take up volume in transfer ducts, crankcases, and the floor of 4-stroke intake ports. I have even used it to fill the sub-exhaust ducts in 2-stroke exhaust ports. You should be able to find these items at industrial supply stores in Germany, but I don't know the brand name. Don't get the clear resin/hardener, it must be black and white in color. If you have a problem locating it, you can email me telling of your application and I can mail you some samples.
Regarding porting tools, I use a 90 degree tool made by ARTCO in Germany, it is supplied by CC Specialty in America www.ccspecialty.com This hand piece fits the small cable drive motors made by Foredom, Dremel, and Dumore.
Happy Tuning! :thumb:

crawl9

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Can Jb Weld Be used in the Exahust Port?if Not, What can be used here if anything? How hot does the exahust gasses get? What about the suface of the exhaust Port?
Thanks

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by EricGorr
Hi Techfreak!
I use many different types of epoxies.

No Devcon? I would have lost a bet - I figure that would be the epoxy of choice!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by crawl9
Can Jb Weld Be used in the Exahust Port? if Not, What can be used here if anything?

Square wave AC TIG, and a skilled sets of hands. :thumb:

Originally posted by crawl9

How hot does the exahust gasses get?

They can see temps as high as 1700 degrees F, with sustained temps in the 1100-1400 degrees F range.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
of course, the cylinder's exhaust port surface is much cooler, (otherwise it would turn to mush as it approached 1000F). I'm not sure how much heat JB weld can take, the actual temperature of the JB weld would depend on where it was located and how well it could transfer heat back into the (aluminum) cylinder, I would think thickness would also be a factor. Aluminum has a much higher coefficient of heat transfer than epoxy. The good news is if it comes loose there is a much better chance the piston won't kiss it (compared to if it was in an intake port).

I have made a composite mixture of coarse aluminum chips and epoxy, per instructions from a "good old boy" hot rodder (used in car cylinder heads). I'm not sure if this composite was any better or worse than just pure epoxy, or if the aluminum was just a filler. Has anyone else heard of or tried this?

tzracer46

Sep 26, 2000
Moroso makes a 2 part epoxy that they market for use in automotive intake manifolds. It is avalable from most speed shops. It is a putty type epoxy and is very easy to use, and sticks quite well. We use it in our Yamaha TZ250 grand prix roadrace engines. It works good for taking up crankcase volume and directing airflow in the cases.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

LPS makes an aluminum doped epoxy composite. It works well and is easy to grind to shape after the fact.

Originally posted by tzracer46
Moroso makes a 2 part epoxy that they market for use in automotive intake manifolds.

This one is still my favorite. There are quite a few harleys running around in the midwest with intake floors raised by this stuff :)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
JB weld indicates on the package it's good for 600F. Generally plastics will degrade before they will fail, so if it's just plugging a hole as opposed to holding something together, higher temps may be ok. What is the thermal expansion coefficient of epoxy compared to aluminum, and could this affect it's performance in our application?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…