placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK guys: where's the reports? Here is mine from last year (couldn't make it this time); give us one for this year:

We arrived in our usual mid-afternoon lateness, & gave it a good shot, thinking to join in on the kid’s race. Hmmm: no Thumbs in sight. And oddly, we found Holeshot’s car parked yet still running, A/C & all, but he - nowhere in sight. Once finding a fine spot to park, extrashorty (hereafter: ES) took care of signup for the three of us while Jr. & I unload the pickem’up. And yes, his car was still running.

Holeshot eventually came around (he was at sign up) to get ready to join up with us. But before we departed for the starting line, I noticed ES’ 80 seemed to be lean on the main. Pulling the carb apart in haste (makes waste!) led to one mishap after an other as you will soon read. The largest main was already in! A subsequent quick reassemble proved disaterous – it wouldn’t even start. Tipping it over revealed no gas flow, yanking the gas-tank-to-carb hose proved upstream was clear, so off with the float bowl again.

Yep, the floats were tweaked in the mad rush; straightening the best I could by eye – thanks for the added angle-view provided by Holeshot - the most time-saving approach as all the kid’s race entrants were well gone. It started up well, and ran better than ever was the report from the mini-pilot ES.

The man at the kid’s start was kind enough to let him start, now 20-minutes after the last departure; heck, there were some finishing their 1st loops when he stepped up to the plate.

Holeshot, placelast Jr., and your's truly followed ES around the loop, several miles each. I’m surprised they had the kids do two wicked granite down hills. I wondered what they plan for the adults on the morrow?

Holeshot checked his mileage against mine for tomorrow’s event, and Jr. loosened up his limbs for the same. Me? I’m beginning to feel like a creaky old man - got to get out more often.

ES ended up getting 8th out of 9. Not particularly well, but who cares; he’s got a lot of growing up to do, and speed/precision will come in time. He seemed to enjoy the ride, which is the most important thing now.

As dinner was cooking, I started programming the speed changes and resets on my laptop, for later uploading into my Pacemaker enduro computer. Just think: last June we were here, and had 3x as many resets & speed changes. What a difference a few months make, let alone event bosses.

Thumbs showed up later in the afternoon; set up camp nearby; The Eel & CPTJack well into the evening after the campfire was burning hot and the stars were out – someone said something about Eel’s navigation skills well after we shared each other’s dinners – hay, a DRN potluck! And the last thing I remember hearing as I lay my head down that night was a “oowwww nooooowww” again and again coming from Team Knucklehead’s campsite: a line they picked up from some movie I suppose…then at 2am, and again (and again later) “POP! FOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo…………as the furnace of the closest motorhome came on during the wee hours of the night. Again, and again. It really wasn’t that cold, either; we used summer sleeping bags.

5am came readily; I laid there ‘til 6, then can’t take it anymore (dig that daylight savings, eh?) First thing I did was get b’fast going, artery-clogging fried eggs & pan-fried toast. Yummy!

I fire up my enduro computer, and the dang thing doesn’t get beyond startup. Am I toast? Woe is me; it may be stopwatch, roll chart and odo backup days again.

I pull the batteries to force a reset - no good: same scenario, over & over. Jr. suggests reading the manual – uh, dad! 2nd to the last paragraph, on the back cover “simply hold the X and O buttons to bypass.” Phew!

After filling the drink system, synchronizing key time with the master clock, and the riders’ meeting, it’s off to the starting line. The start worker tells me novices go 2 loops plus; apparently in the excitement, Holeshot missed the message (sorry, dude – don’t let it get ya down). Jr. had already left since he signed up on the minute before me so I could keep an eye out for him throughout some of the race.

I don’t remember much of the loop, but I’ll do the best I can to represent it there.

Our row is signaled off, and off we went, following the first mile of the kid’s loop. We then cross a graded road perpendicular (stay tuned: more on this later), weave around/between Stonehenge-sized and upright rocks - good place for a check, but not ‘til the second loop.

After Stonehenge, across a flat desert, then down into a wash – just wide enough for a bike, with very little wiggle room to spare. Big Fun! I remember getting stopped behind a WR4XX rider there, since he stalled it & subsequently needed much kicking to fire up again. Then we came up and backtracked on the ledge, back down into it again, and zigzagged out. The real challenge here was the great traction on the lava/concrete-like surface vs. the sand washed thru from winter storms made interesting throttle control practice - an on-off situation. More than a few riders laid it over, stalled, got crossed up here. Once out and back up on the opposite ledge again was a check (on the 2nd loop), closing a fairly demanding special test section – one can only go so fast when space between the rocks is slightly wider than the handlebar. On the second loop, a photo crew was perched here.

The next section was flat, and then an uplifted, small hill presented a fine place for another possible check. The check was there, but one had to descend quickly, thru a strewing of small rocks to the bottom for scoring. A following flat area was another Stonehenge-like rock cropping, where a check was to be on the second loop. And yes, I did stop a mile or so beforehand to water the desert via unraveling the lily – sorry not to wave as you all passed by. It was near here where a KTM rider not only passed me, but pi$$ed me off well when he cut back in barely inches ahead of my front tire; I though we would kiss knobs. Man, where has courtesy gone? Looked like a new guy; sure acted that way.

Then the second check of the 1st loop – where the score-er was hiding behind the upright rock - before a hairpin RH turn up a sand wash, up a loose climb, then back down and through a rocky, trials-like section. Dang it: that KTM rider did it again, and just as close as last time – jerk – I’m gonna have a talk with him.

Now I don’t know why I ended up getting carrying the rear, becoming the caboose on a 6-member train; couldn’t pass if I wanted – not enough space, and too many left, right turns up & over, then down Rubicon-like solid rock. I was concerned about being late to yet another check, but was glad when we didn’t have one here. We rejoined the kid’s loop, obviously getting close to camp and ripe for another check as my computer was tooting away; WARNING, WARNING – possible check, 2/10ths…1/10th…and finally, the workers were at the bottom of this huge rock we had to go down, black rear tire marks on it’s entire face.

The next reset was at the end of the first loop/start of the second, but only 0.8 mi. – hardly worth a breath. Where’s Holeshot? Crossing the graded road again (pay attention reader: excitement comes next time ‘round!) yep! a check there @ Stonehenge. A 3 (miles, that is) for free wick-it-up thru the tight, rocky sand wash. This time thru it got a little snug: skinny me almost got wedged in. I caught up to Jr. here, but folled him off course. Dang. This pass revealed the well-stationed camera crew, but when I laid it over (yes, on it’s side) just beyond them, they were more concerned about the following rider to get my mishap on film. Oh well; I was the only one who saw it happen…

Having to pick up my bike took some strength, but not like the former layover (do ya think I’m about to tell ya of every crash?), before the aforementioned desert watering area. Before that there were these two kids, manning a check in the wide open. They are doing an admirable job, but the placement seemed off; 4 riders stopped 100 yards after, and were discussing amongst themselves my same thoughts.

OK, now for the third layover. Possibly where brett r met his fate of a broken clutch cover. One had to climb a large, flat but inclined rock, make a left, then right thru tank-high boulders on both sides. One spot required delicate balance, and I lost it there. Two others got by me as I picked it up. Now I’m getting tired. And I think I pulled a groin muscle here.

Fast forward to the old freight train area of the 1st loop, and I’m on my own. Strange. Except for a lone rider or two who let me by, one was on a CRF450 - nice: 1st one I’ve seen.

Again down the long, rubber-marked rock-faced downhill, but no check this time – one more before camp, though. In this area, there was a crowd gathered, cheering us on as we came thru. Hey, that’s how they do it at the ISDE.

Now at the end of the 2nd/start of the 3rd loop, for a 5.8-mi. reset/15 min. break. Well needed! Jr. pulls in, saying, “I’m spent, dad”. “You can pull out now, but the finish is up ahead”. “How much further?” he says, with reservation. “I don’t know. Not far, tho.” No holeshot in sight; I’m a little concerned at this point.

My time comes up, so I leave, and the one remaining fellow on my minute follows. His bellowing WR is irritating, therefore I make a move to get away. Now that turned out to be the wrong way to go about it.

OK: here’s that graded road crossing you’ve been waiting for. Remember I want to get away from this loud WR – so I wick it up in 4th, only ht the road in such a manner as to do a flying W, then a seat bounce, followed by a knee stand on the seat. I don’t know how I survived it, but now my groin muscle was really hurting. Several hundred yards later as we were wasting a few seconds before the next possible, my WR friend signaled me as if saying, “that was some save ya did there”. And it was, tho not by skill whatsoever.

The final check was thru the far end of the bar-wide rock and sand wash, which became increasingly difficult to navigate as I did not want to damage strain my groin further. That (the road-crossing goof up), plus the two layovers cost me 1st place. Ah, so close this time.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I didn't ride the Wicked Bird this year since my bike is down ... so I went and worked it instead. Here's my version .......

I finally got a new truck on Saturday so I was excited to take her for a drive out to the dez. Same truck as last time, just different color and slightly different accommodations. I tried to keep it under 60 MPH as I drove out to Cougar Buttes. Amazing how slow 60 seems now on an interstate ... I was actually holding up traffic at 60 MPH !

I arrived around 10:15 on Saturday evening and everyone was pretty much retired for the night. Thumbs was fast asleep in the bed of his truck and nothing was gonna wake him up. I tooled around looking for folks to chat with ... Larry E. gave Dean and I a brief tour of his '03 KTM 300 EXC. Nice bike Larry ! I then sat down with a few folks I didn't know since they were basically the only ones still up in camp. Talked with them for awhile around the fire until they too drifted off for the night.

I got early the next morn and Holeshot had shown up with his daughter. I found Dick and Phil and was given the assignment to mark cards at the start and then work Check D. We had about 65 or so riders on Sunday .... and one of the newset victims was KelsoRat - he had come in Sunday morning, as did Old 'n' Stealthy. We got them signed up and later attended the 8: 15 AM rider's meeting. I missed it myself, but apparently the trail bosses had announced that the first loop would be easy to zero.

The weather was beautiful on Sunday - a great day for riding.

The start went off without a hitch and I made my way over the Check D. The check here was just over the lip of a climb up a 50-foot rockface. It seemed to provide no problems for any of the riders. We did have quite a few guys coming through late - and also had quite a few less than 65 riders come through ... even though the race was only half over. I would find out later that the course was apparently brutal and quite a few riders had dropped out partway through the race.

Holeshot was already loaded up when I got back. Seems the tight rock gymnastics were not to his liking ... especially on his big 4-2-6. We both agreed that his KX125 would have suited the terrain better, but unfortunately it was down for repairs, so he had to ride the Blue Monster instead. He seemed not to have enjoyed the course very much. Bummer.

I really started to understand how rough the course was when Thumbs got back to his truck during a reset and started to explain that the course was too hard. Too many rocks and too many damaged bikes. If Thumbs is complaining I know it must be serious. Greg showed up shortly thereafter and confirmed that it was indeed a tough one. After they took off again I went out to Check D again to spectate a bit. I then returned to camp a caught a quick nap. (:

When I awoke KelsoRat had returned and was eating lunch. Turns out he had reached his limit after two loops and returned to camp. He had a smile on his face so I was somewhat relieved - mainly 'cause he would have been out at Spangler enjoying himself it wasn't for my invitation to skip Spangler and ride the Wicked Bird.

We hung out for awhile and eventually the rest of the riders came in as the race was over. I didn't stick around long enough for results but they should be up soon.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
First congrats to Thumbs. 1st place, way to go. I got 5.

Lets see the course. I went up big rocks, around big rocks, between big rocks, down big rocks, up steep gullys, down steep gullys, and got to rest going down some deep sand washes. I fell more Sunday then my first time riding.

If I had known it was that tough I probably would not have shown up. After saying that I'm glad I went. I think you have to be alittle sick in the head, or a good rider to do this enduro. I have only been to one other enduro and it was a lot easier. Hopefully I'll improve alittle after this one.

As soon as I replace my broken clutch lever and recover from the soreness I'll be ready for the next one.

Eel, Thumbs has your chair.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Sounds like I missed a good one!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I took off on the first loop thinking that it would be a time keeper. Was I wrong! Despite the "trials" like conditions, I did OK to the first check but finally dumped it when some psycho was yelling at me from behind. When I finally got the bike upright, I had a hard time starting it - of course, I pulled the choke instead of the hot start - again. There went any chance of doing any time keeping. At the end of first loop, I decided I had enough and packed it in. I felt that riding through the slow rocky stuff was kind of monotonous, but I saw another rider that was grinning from ear to ear and saying that the course was great. Different strokes for different folks.

So I DNF'd early.

Congrats to thumbs and old'n stealthy for the great rides they put in.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
It should have been called the "Wicked Bird Pipe Smasher and Frame Grinder." Greg's description was pretty accurate, lots of rocks.

Without a doubt it was the toughest club enduro of the year. No one zero the race, not even the masters or experts. I only zeroed one check and picked up a total of 18 points and still got 1st place. 21 riders started in the novice class and only 5 finished. That should tell ya how tough it was.

Congrats on the 5th place Greg.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Interesting, I need to head out to one of these enduros and see what its all about. From what Ive read it sounds like a lot of fun except for the time keeping part of it. Thinking Ill head out to the next one and spectate. Good job finishing from the sound of the report. :thumb:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thumbs and Brett related that there were numerous sections in the rock fields where the rocks were covered in silver patches - the remains of metal ground off of pegs, frames, skid plates and pipes.

CPT Jack had offered to let me borrow his new Gas Gas for this one - in retrospect, I'm sure glad I passed on the offer !!!!!!!

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
I have not got to ride much in the last few months so it took awhile to get used to that terrain again. I thought it was a fun course, looking at the results it may have been a little tough for a club race but they are Enduros not desert races. Anyways I had a good ride, I made a couple mistakes in the last special and came real close to burning a few on the first couple loops so I was surprised and lucky to finish where I did. I smashed my pipe also but I smash my pipe every race. The only thing I did not like about the race was riding with people in my class hopefully they do not do that again.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
It ended up slowing me down when we got into the tests even though they let me by. I still had to deal with their dust and ride behind them long enough to let them know I was there. Also the tests were short so even getting slowed down for 30 seconds is big. It was good to see how people that have been doing it for a long time ride these things sometimes I don't ride far enough ahead if there are no possibles. I'm always worried there is going to be a trick and I will burn a check. I usually run in the middle of my minute and don't worry about getting ahead too much. I think my best chance is not to burn anything and then try and beat them in the desert race at the end. It seems like at the TWMC races if you run hot and you don't think there will be a check someone will jump out of a bush and burn you.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I've been doing some thinking lately about running hot or not. I usually try to run about 15 seconds hot but a few times I got burned by the club just like you said. I still need to learn more about riding possibles. Your idea sounds good to run right in the middle. That way you play the odds right in the middle ... 30 seconds to too late and 30 seconds to too early.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Results are up ....
http://pw1.netcom.com/~sorudne/ghost.htm

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
:yeehaw: Thanks Eel for the invite. The Wicked Bird was--well wicked. Driving out to Cougar Butte I wondered how you could run an enduro in the Desert. I'm used to screaming on old Indian trails and fireroads, and casually sipping my Camelback. Then came the Wicked Bird.Needless to say I figured the enduro might have a couple of tight singletrack trails through the Butte, but man, not 50ft rock uphills and tight boulder strewn switchbacks, peg busters,pipe busters, radiator busters.... Great fun, I just did not have the strength to keep the DRZ upright for 2 more laps.

Thumbs and Old n Deceiving :worship: Good job

Eel - let's go again - I mean that was the hardest enduro your club does er right :think:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Glad you enjoyed it ! The next one is on Sunday, December 8th, out at Slash X ...

Sunday, December 8th

2nd annual Santa's Last Knight Enduro, at the Slash-X Café (near Barstow).

Directions:

Take I-15 north to Barstow (58 miles). Take a right on Barstow Road (also HWY 247), go about 10 miles out of town (toward Lucerne Valley), the Slash-X Café is on your right. You can't miss it, it's the only thing of substance between Barstow and Lucerne Valley. TWMC will be camped behind the Café.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
:thumb: Congratulations Tony and Greg. :worship:

Awesome reports placelast & Eel. :eek: I knew there had to be a good reason that I didn't ride those things. :scream: :)

Top Bottom