Rod B

Oct 30, 2001
I have heard of people using WR400 gears in YZ250's to give them a wide ratio gearbox. Does anyone know if this is possible? Does it require any maching? Is there a website or thread that documents the parts necessary? My bike is a 1998 YZ250. Thanks in advance.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Do a search. There was a guy in Montana or Wyoming who did it; said it required some minor "narrowing"/machining of the individual gear wheels.

I seem to remember someone here from South Africa had a dealer do it.

Another option is obtain a Canadian '98 WR250 (two cycle) gear set; this model was imported there one year. Other than an 18" rear wheel and side stand, it looked identical to the YZ, even all the plastic. It had a few different internal parts, one being hte WR trans (lighting coil and extra FFW; porting?) Perhaps MACE can offer some thoughts as he used to own one (that I wanted, baaaadddd). Many others from up your way bought/brought them over the border.

Team Suzuki (off road) does it by swaping, mixing and matching DRZ/RM250 gears.

Rod B

Oct 30, 2001
Thanks for the info placelast. I tried searching but i can't get anything older than 3/31/2003 to come up. Is there any online microfiche for Canadian models?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Cool! Found something out today. It appears your 98 YZ has the same trans internals as the 94-97 (98 in Canada) WR's!! Checked it at http://www.yamahaoftroy.com These were essentially the same bikes as a 93-95 YZ 250. Suprising to know that the trans internals stayed the same in 98---They DID change in 99 so you're in luck. Slap these gears in your trans and you'll be good to go. I love the WR gearset on mine! Wish yama would've never quit making them, same w/ suzuki RMX!! It surely increased the sales of 250EXC's!

Top Bottom