DC-1

Feb 15, 2005
wide ratio ? wr 250 husky

just broke in new 04 wr 250 omly to find out that there is nothing
WR about it! I love the motor, handling, and suspension but, and I mean a big butt, the gears are way close! I ride in Arizona and you need a low 1st for techical single track and a eye watering top gear for those boring sand wash's or fire roads. my freinds on ktms and gas gas's are gone. MY QUESTION! was there ever a wide ratio gear set for this bike? can I get it or can I get just the tall 5th gear and put it in? I have been e-maiing husky race shops all aroud the english speaking world and no answers yet!
does anybody know anything? thanks!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I have the same thing going on with my Husky 360. When I get out in the street in front of my house I can't manage more than half throttle before it's time to shift again. I'm in sixth gear in half a block. Second and third are so close that there's no discernable difference. I get the impression that the previous owner of this bike did some gear work on the tranny, surely this isn't factory.
Can you get taller/shorter gears?
If so where?

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
The '04 WR250 has same gearbox ratios of '04CR250. I think it was wide ratio until '02. I have an '00 WR250 thats a real WR. The thing i miss the most is the old six speed that was in 250 until mid-nineties. My '82 250WR is a six speed and it can crawl or fly with 13/ 54 gearing, but the 5 speed WR tranny is better than '04 CR/WR tranny. Earlier gear set should pop right in.
Norman

Tugsy

Feb 24, 2004
I am thinking of going to a 14 front since I find 1st just about useless. I did this on my 94 RMX and seemed to help a little.

Top Bottom