erac

Apr 9, 2001
Unless she is 6'9" and loves to kick the crap out of the bike to start it I would steer her clear of the WR. The TTR and DRZ have the SWEEEEEEET e-button and I have heard that the TTR is a great bike for chicks. What is her skill level? Is she a beginner or experienced rider? The KLX is a good bit lighter and more powerful than either the TTR or the DRZ though it can be a bit hard to hot start (not as bad as the WR).

Scarylong

Jun 20, 2001
She is 5'8"

She needs something novice too intermediate

How does the Suzuki stack up to the TT-R?
I have read everything I can get my hands on but it's still hard as the Suzuki is new.
(I want to ride it too) :p

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
I love these posts...........

5' 8"........beginner to intermed?
my $.02 worth.
My son is a beginner, 14 years old, and oh......5' 10" and he loves the WR. I looked at the TTRs the XRs, and the DRs (lots of potential there, kick and electric options, suspension is very tunable etc modern engine (well sort of)..........but I bought him the WR. No regrets at all.
Yes, until you learn how to start it, it is a pig (well guess it was me not knowing how to start it), but now that we are both trained :D they are one kick machines, hot, cold, crashed (well two if crashed, but then just use the hot start)
Modern engine that is just starting it's life cycle, tons of potential as she learns to ride faster and faster (if not then you are buying too much machine).........but more importantly, you have the excuse to make sure that it is "running good" and of course your bike can be "broke" all the time, and you have to ride her's with the buds......go figure.
:p
Honestly I dont think you can go wrong with any of the bikes, depending on skill and where she is headed and how serious she is beyond just good ol trail riding (which my son and I love!!).
Will get down to dealer support and the like. Race potential, dont think any of them can touch the WR. but for about $1000 less....go with any of the three based on your brand loyalty etc.
Good luck.......
doing the right thing, keeping the ol' Chief of House Happy"

HR
:cool:

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
If you look back a couple of pages, you'll see a "WR250F for my wife" topic that has good info. Turns out there are quite a few women with them! My wife is 5'8" as well and we're looking at one for her. The E button would be a wonderful thing, but I don't want to get a 277 pound pig of a bike to get it:eek:

The KTM's are nice if you'd like to get a bike with the E button....

Scarylong

Jun 20, 2001
Hey Riders.
Thanks for the input.
She is getting the DRZ (e-start sold it). I'm sure this will be plenty of bike for her, and I can still make sure it's running right.;)
Good riding.....

Scarylong

Jun 20, 2001
BTW.
That WR has my name on for next year. My RM250 is getting long in the tooth, and all my friends are getting 426's.

Unless KTM has a sale!
(I like the E-start too)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Unless KTM has a sale!
(I like the E-start too) [/B][/QUOTE]

As Buell said, check out the other post in this area. By the time you add the normal goodies on the WR you could have bought a KTM E/XC, which comes set up and ready to go. And you still don't have the e-button! Also, the KTM's have a lower center of gravity by design and even with e-start weigh slightly less than the WR. That's engineering I can appreciate!:cool:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I was talking with a guy at our local shop the other day about the DRZ-250. The problem with these bikes being they aren't sparking the interests the 400's did. Everyone thinks that it's just another low budget dirtbike when they have some really innovative features. For what your wife would be using the bike for it would be ideal (perhaps a bit tall) for her and you could still have fun with it too. Aftermarket parts are becoming slightly more available and Yoshimura makes a complete exhaust system spefically for the bike. If you'd like to read some reviews (I know I've posted these about 70 times already) they are as follows for the stock DRZ-250 and then for the modified DRZ-250 . Whichever bike you choose just have her remember it's all about having fun :)

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
my 2 cents

In my experience I have two rules with bikes;

1. you have to be able to pick it up by yourself when you fall
2. you have to be able to start it after you pick it up.

I have learned my lessons when my girlfriend started on a DR200 (250?) only to find it heavy and too tall. yes it had the e-start, but when she fell on a hill or late in the day (tired) she could not pick it up. She then switched to a TTR125 and has much more confidence!

this rule also works well for kids/begginers and helps them get off to the right start.

Good luck!

Scarylong

Jun 20, 2001
My wife has checked out the TT-R 125L That thing is tiny. She has her knees in her ears on that bike. She has not bought drz yet, but she is sold on it for sure. Thanks again for plenty of help.
If she can't pick it up someone gets a good deal on a used RM250 and I get a new toy.
She is going to be fine. Just hope she can get it on the back of the truck on her own, after riding.
She wants to go riding by her self. Yehaa!!

BUUUURRRRRRRRRR!!!!!:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom