MDA

May 27, 2002
Hello Gang,

Since I've only been riding dirt for two years, I don't tend to do anything exciting enought to bother reporting it here. Yesterday however was an exception, at least from my perspective.

A little background first... I've been riding a street bike since before my wife and I were married. She loves being a passenger on my little Honda. I told her last year she should take the "Gearing Up" introductory motorcycle course that is offered here in Ontario. At the very least it would make her a better passenger. Last week, she took the course and by the end of the weekend, they had to basically pry her off the TTR 125 that they provided for the course.

Since she liked it so much, and I am crazy about dirt bikes, she decided she might like a dirt bike of her own. I was looking for a suitable bike as soon as the words were out of her mouth...

We settled on a Yamaha DT100. They were reliable, tame, light and fairly similar to the TTR125. Plus there were quite a few of them in the used market for very little money. We got her all the gear (pants, helmet, jersey, chest protector, boots, gloves, etc...).

Getting to the point of this post... yesterday was my wife's first ride on her new 2000 Yamaha DT100. We loaded up my KDX220, and her little mule and headed to Calabogie, about an hour outside of Ottawa.

We started with me in the lead and stayed on the old K&P rail line. It was pretty easy riding since it is mostly flat and straight. I kept the KDX in second gear and puttered along. She did not seem to be having too much trouble keeping up. The road was a tipical dirt road with water filled pot-holes. The DT's old technology dual shocks seemed to do fairly well on them. Halfway to our destination we found a sizable water crossing. No prolem for me, but I kind of wondered about her. I crossed the water twice to make sure there were no hidden surprises. On her bike the water would be just over the the footpegs. I gave her a few pointers and she gave it a go. She stayed on the gas and made it through without incident.

Once we reached our destination (Flower Station) we turned around and I gave her the option of leading back to our starting point. She took the lead and I folowed her. This was the best part of day for me. It was so great to watch her ride. She went quite a bit faster in the lead than I had been going. She purposly hit so many water puddles that I was half expecting her to turn around and run through the ones she missed. She did a great job for her first time out. We were out for almost two hours.

We took a break and had lunch. After lunch we took a different road. This road mainly followed the power lines. It was more challenging since it had some eleveation changes, some loose gravelly sections, and some ruts caused by water washing away the loose gravel. She had some problems at first with the downhills. Her motorcycle course was predominatly geared for road bikes and never covered things like downhills. She stalled a few times before I figured out what was wrong. Whe wasn't disengaging the clutch while braking to control her speed. Once we realised that, she was able to follow without incident.

I lead the whole way here since it was a bit more difficult, and we stayed out for a full hour. She really liked the uphills and the puddles (who doesn't?). The jury is still out on the downhills.

Once we got home I started to unload the bikes and she went inside. A few minutes later she came out with a couple of well deserved beers... how sweet is that? We chatted about our outing and she washed off her bike and put it away for next time.

Her skill will most certainly outgrow the DT by the end of the riding season, which we fully expected if she continued riding. If that does happen, I'll gladly sell the DT and get her something more modern like a TTR 125LE.

As far as ride reports go, this probably constitues the fastest cure for insomnia, but it was special to me. I'm passionate about dirt bike. I love riding, and I got to share the experience with my wife. I doubt she will ever become as crazy about it as I am, but she enjoyed herself and will definitely come out with me again. I can't wait.

-Mark-

lisa'sxr4

Jul 16, 2002
Congrats on having the wife join you! Last May when hubby bought his bike - I took one little putt & I was hooked! Enjoy your new hobby together!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Great report! You can almost feel your excitement for your wife simply through your words. Congrats to your wife on learning to ride :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
MDA, how nice to read such a great ride report!  Its really great to see such support for your wife and I'm glad she's enjoying her new bike.

Natalie

MDA

May 27, 2002
Thanks guys/gals,

I've told my wife on several occation not to hold back on my account. I'm secure enough in my masculinity that having a wife that can smoke me on the trails is perfectly fine.

She just laughs at me. I think puttering around the trails is all she plans on for now and that's ok. But if she ever wants a KX100, that's ok too.

Ride safe everyone...
-Mark-

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by MDA
Thanks guys/gals, 

She just laughs at me. I think puttering around the trails is all she plans on for now and that's ok. But if she ever wants a KX100, that's ok too.

Ride safe everyone...
-Mark-

I bet a trip to DW03 would change her perspective.  Great report!  Way to go, Mrs. MDA. :cool:

MDA

May 27, 2002
I told her about DW a while back. I think that would be more testosterone than she could handle for one week.

I'd like to attend, but its a heck of a long way for me to travel.

Maybe in a year or two....

-Mark-

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The weather will be perfect, the people will be the best friends you've never met and there will be more than just a few that need some more testosterone. :p :scream:

DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
It would be money!!! to get m gurl to ride. she loves riding my kdx200 but she just had knee surgery surgery, bummer, I trying to find a halfway decent 4 wheeler,not sure what size though. for her to ride. any suggestions?? I thing a 4wheeler would be easier
on her knees.

alex

DRECKFRESSER

May 29, 2003
Originally posted by DRECKFRESSER
It would be money!!! to get m gurl to ride. she loves riding my kdx200 but she just had knee surgery, bummer, I trying to find a halfway decent 4 wheeler,not sure what size though. for her to ride. any suggestions?? I think a 4wheeler would be easier
on her knees.

alex

MDA

May 27, 2002
DRECKFRESSER,

Its good that the woman in your life is interested in riding. I've had very limited exposure to ATVs, so I can't comment on how much easier it might be on her knees.

Would waiting be an option? Since she has had knee surgery, is there any chance that her knees will be functional enough to ride a bike once she heals up? It would also depend on how agresive she wants to ride. If she keeps it tame, any plush bike with a modern suspension can be ridden while sitting down. There is very little reason to stand if all you are going to do is ride fire roads and easy trails.

With that being said, I would suspect that if she likes to ride aggresively and fast, that an ATV would be just as hard on the knees as a dirt bike.

Anyone out there with ATV experience that can shed some insight on this?

Good luck,
-Mark-

Top Bottom