endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Anyone going to this race? I'm going to make the long haul on Friday night/Saturday from Eugene, OR.
I don't have a minute yet.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Buddy and I will be camping out from Friday through Sunday.
We are riding Wild Piglet on Saturday. Please look for our 4 door white GMC with 16 ft "Fun Runner"! I'm sure bunch of DRNers will be there, too.
Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride in Clear Creek! :)
Mini

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Cool beans Mini, I'll see you there, good luck to both of you on Saturday.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hi Gary, how ya been?
I'll be racing again this year. Mostly NMA enduros, COTA trials (tomorrow morning at Washougal), and D-36 enduros but I might cherry-pick a few good OMRA races.
I'd still like to get down to your area and do some trail riding.
The Funky Chicken will be really good this year, lot's of new stuff. Cheers, endoquest

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
Hey any time you feel like checking this area out, let me know.
Looking forward to the racing season and especially the Funky

endoquest said:
Hi Gary, how ya been?
I'll be racing again this year. Mostly NMA enduros, COTA trials (tomorrow morning at Washougal), and D-36 enduros but I might cherry-pick a few good OMRA races.
I'd still like to get down to your area and do some trail riding.
The Funky Chicken will be really good this year, lot's of new stuff. Cheers, endoquest

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Just a quick note: I received an e-mail from the club's general information guy, and he said the BLM will not be opening the camping area nearest the entrance like last year - not a good sign for us who want to all camp together.

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Good luck Adam. Clear Creek is an awesome place to ride. It was dry and dusty this year for the Quicksilver so hope you have the same. Finally got to see the whole course this year. Very cool!!

Are you coming up for the Sparkplug? If so I'll see ya then. By the way we sent our entries off for China Hat a couple weeks ago too. So looking forward to that.

Have a good ride and good luck.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Update: general camping area on private land near entrance; turn left instead of right after first creek crossing (within sight of entrance off of main road.) Yes!

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Thank you VERY much placelast. I'll be trailering in on Saturday. Please look me up, I have a green Dodge diesel flatbed the sez "Gemini Concrete Pumping" on the sides. How far away from sign up will we have to camp?
Hey Ken, I'm definitely doing the Sparkplug. I am riding sweep at the China Hat ISDE, hope to see you in the pits but not on the course! Look me up at the above "address".
I haven't entered the Sparkplug yet because I'm trying to get some buddies to ride on my minute. It will probably be a last minute sign up but I'm stoked. That's a great enduro and anyone reading this should go. I'll get there Saturday afternoon. Cheers all! First things first, WILD BOAR!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
endoquest said:
How far away from sign up will we have to camp?

Sign ups will be in the same campground that everyone will be parking in. Gas truck will be parked close to sign ups as well.

:yeehaw:

Last edited:

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
I'll be there! This will be my first Boar. I've done the Piglet a few times, and while those little kids make for good traction, I think it's time for me to move up. I'm really looking forward to just riding the big race this year, not overly concerned with results. It's just a blast to get out of the desert once in a while and some forest type riding!

Glad to hear they are opening up that camp area! It gets so crowded up there.

I'll be up there Saturday afternoon sometime. I'll try to look up you other DRN'rs.

Placelast, you working the piglet? When are you planning to arive?

deano...

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I plan on working both events; it depends upon how my hand heals this week, though, because to set up my tent requires some effort.

If I do go I'll be there Friday afternoon.

plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
placelast said:
it depends upon how my hand heals this week, though, because to set up my tent requires some effort.

What happen to the hand? Riding accident? Sounds like the makings of a good story...

I won't be there Friday night :ugg: , but if I'll be happy to help you set up the tent Saturday.

You still using the bed tent in the T-100? I remember that thing being a real bear to set up! I sure miss my Toyota. :whiner: My towing truck (Chevy w/454) is such a gas hog, 9mpg :eek: !

deano...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Good luck all ! Won't be making it this year, but if last year was any indication, it'll be a blast !

P.S. Send drinking water with your gasoline on the gas truck ... you'll be happy you did.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Thanks Farmer John. Sounds like it's going to be warm and dusty. I think I'll run a trials tire on my 525. I've been using them year-round up here and now I hate running knobbies.
The route sheet looks pretty straight forward. I guess the club just felt like giving us "free minutes" instead of more resets. Nice 15-mile 24mph section on the second loop.
Cheers, endo

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
plysWfire said:
What happen to the hand? Riding accident? Sounds like the makings of a good story...

You still using the bed tent in the T-100? I remember that thing being a real bear to set up! I sure miss my Toyota. :whiner: My towing truck (Chevy w/454) is such a gas hog, 9mpg :eek: !
QUOTE]

See Ride Report Fourm - Ballinger. Yep: did something stoopid.

Yep: T-100 bed-tent.

9 MPG? I barely double that but oh, that's a big bore ya got there!

Zelpo

Feb 22, 2004
Another incident at Ballinger John?! Lol, I carry TWO buddy tows now due to our experience.

The member formally known as MCassle,
Matt (I can't log in w/that user name, and emails to the staff go unanswered)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Zelpo said:
Another incident at Ballinger John?! Lol, I carry TWO buddy tows now due to our experience.
Yep: another notable occurrence. And space blankets?

I’m accumulation some history there: 1st visited in 1978; enduro cancelled at last minute due to some lizard. Nonetheless, had a great day play riding.

2nd visit in 1999, as 1st time TWMC (enduro) guest, last time they had an event there. 6 miles into first loop, I went down in sand whoops. DNF’d; bruised ribs.

3rd visit was last year. Near end of day, big-end crank bearing needle migrates and locks bottom end. Towed back to camp from most remote area by he-man (mcassle).

On 4th visit borrowed bike blows fork seal.

5th time I see trail buddy (2strok4fun) have minor head on.

6th time I see same trail buddy have moderate, near catastrophic head on.

7th: no remarkable problems (former trail buddy absent; can’t blame him).

8th: whacked immovable sign.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Placelast, please tell me your number so I can avoid you ;-)

I'm 34E this year, so at least avoid ME...riding around you sounds dangerous :-)

Zelpo

Feb 22, 2004
I don't think John is riding the event(s) ... are you helping at checks this year John? I'll be arriving late morning/early afternoon on Saturday, I'll keep an eye out for you and/or your Toyota at the main camping area. I still have your book btw, I'll bring it (dang it's been a year already :ohmy: )

Matt

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Great Race/Bad Luck

Hello all, great to see you there and mix it up in the pits.
This was a very long weekend for me. Worth it, but very long.
Friday after work, I loaded up and headed south from my humble abode in Eugene. After five hours of night driving I pulled over at a Mal-Wart in Redding for a few winks. Lucky me, I had the pleasure of utilizing "Ignacio's Parking Lot Sweeping Service's" complimentary wake-up call at 4:30 Saturday morning.
The remaining seven hours of the trip were uneventful if not downright boaring. Actually, once I got off the Interstate, things perked up a bit.
When I arrived at Clear Creek, Buddy and Mini flagged me down gave me a spot, thx.
A bunch of other DRNers were there. Ret Senior, Uncle Moose, Farmer John, Getmetoca and others. Didn't meet placelast, zelpo, plyswfire or others but that's the way it goes sometimes. Lot's of stuff going on.
I spent the rest of the day prepping the bike, signing up, talking to friends, etc. I managed to get an early minute(12) with my local friend, a long time D-36 A-rider.

Race day began like all race days. Get up three hours earlier than you need to because you can't sleep, then wait for the race to start.
My minute finally arrived and I was off! Whooppee! The opening trail was dusty and rutted but still it was great to be riding again. It had been a whole week! At the 2.9 mile odo check I noticed some flags around the next turn. Uh-Oh! Bang! Right into a special test. Clubs do this to "Get you warmed up".
I let my local buddy, we'll call him "Quacky", go in front to show me the good lines and keep a fast pace.
The dust was pretty bad but in the tighter trails it wasn't a problem. About a mile into this test, yes, about 4 miles into the 87-mile race, we crested a hill and followed a ridge. Clicking up the gears, the other guy on our minute passes me and stirs up a whopping cloud of dust. I thought I was in a good line but all of a sudden-BANG! ............THUD.
While in the upper part of third gear, I happened across a large crack in the ground, unseen. The front end hit the other side so hard that it completely compressed the forks and lifted me and the bike a few feet in the air. I landed ten feet passed the crack, on the bike, both wheels landing at the same time. I don't think the rear tire ever hit. It jammed my wrists really bad. I thought I had re-broken me left and I couldn't feel me right. All this happened instantly but seemed to last forever. I checked myself out, could move the hands and the feeling was coming back. The bike looked OK at that point but the forks started leaking immediately. I took off after a minute or so, after all, this was a special test at the start of a long race. Whooppee!
I got through the check-out, dropped four points. I soldiered on in my usual ham-fisted stubborn way. My wrists were a bit swollen but felt better. The trails were great. Nasty rock sections. Really tight "Wild Boar" tunnel trails under the brush. Call me an idiot but there were a few times when I actually thought I was one of them! The next few checks were timekeepers. One of them had to be figured as a possible long before so I pinned it to the last tenth. I crested a hill and there it was but, Oh No! I still had forty seconds on the keytime! I managed to not burn it, phew!
The second special test started with an easy timekeeper. It was faster than the first for the most part led us into a rock garden that really took points. I biffed in the whoops on this one but only lost a few seconds. I was riding pretty badly and tried to snap out of it. "Relax" I told myself. "It's only a race". "650 miles from home". "1300 round trip". "Sponsors like good results!". It wasn't working.

The welcome gas stop gave me time to look at the bike. Both forks were leaking but the left was worse. Naturally, the BRAKE happens to be on this side. The pads were getting oily too. Whooppee!
The second loop started out with a rude awakening. Although my computer said I was on time, when I got to the sixth check I was 3 minutes late. "What?" I said. I didn't have time to fiddle with my computer since this was obviously an In-check. I took off and started to at least keep 24-mph in sight. I was NOT happy but knew that it was my fault, one way or the other.
It just so happened that the special test lasted for an HOUR and was 20-miles long. Whooppee!
About half way through it I blow a turn because my front brake didn't work. Then it happened again. And again. Also, to make things a little more interesting, my forks start clanking and bottoming. There wasn't much fluid left in there! Whooppee!
I had to slow down. One thing I won't do is DNF. I decided to go for the finish but still try to keep a good pace. At the reset I was still late but made up some time. For the last ten miles my brake started working again, I think all the fluid was gone.
I was punished. I like that. I'll be back.
Someone told me I got Fifth place Open A but I don't believe them.

I sat in my trailer step for a while. Happy to finish a good old gnarly enduro again. I left Clear Creek around 4:00, got to Redding at 11:00. Ignacio was right on time Monday morning!

Cheers, Endoquest.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
lol...sounds like my QuickSilver. Both seals gone at break, but fortunately I was able to crank down on the front preload and they actually worked pretty good, and although the fluid coated my calipers, the pads were clean.

weren't driving a dodge truck were ya? we got in at 6:30 and parked just a couple vehicles away from the port-o's...yikes...they was nasty :-) notice an Oregon plate...
grew up in the valley and lived there 24 years so I'm always looking for friendly Oregon folk ;-)

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
When I think of all the hardwork, the hours clearing and marking trail, the blood, sweat and tears the Timekeepers shed to put on the Wild Boar, I could just pummel them all with a baseball bat.:p (Borrowed from President Bartlett)

My day started out optimistically enough. Being the only rider on my minute, I didn't have to deal with the dust and I accidentally zeroed the first check. I got through the two special tests ok (although the Bad Ass Trail kicked mine). At gas, I started to feel my thighs cramping a little so I ate a banana and drank a lot of water.

I take off from gas and whadaya know, I zero another check.:yeehaw: (Again, quite by accident.:whiner: I'm new to timekeeping) The checker tells me to haul ass, so I oblige, trying to do at least half of the 24MPH average. The trails start getting tighter and steeper and my muscles start cramping tighter and harder and Wham-o! into the bushes I go. I am now contorted among the manzanita and as I try to extricate myself, the cramping increases exponentially. Whooppee! (Borrowed from endoquest)

As I lay there writhing in pain, a wave of emotions flowed over me. First came Despair: Oh God, why is this happening to me? Have I not volunteered enough for trail maintenance? Then came Disgust: Why do I suck so bad? And why am I in such bad physical shape? Then came Depression when I realized that I might not finish. I sat there in my personal manzanita thicket for a few minutes thinking about what to do next. There was still another 30 miles of trail to the finish and I was certain they were not going to be "emotionally-fluctuating, cramping-like-a-room-full-of-women-and-their-special-friends, rider-friendly" trails.:eek: (Sorry, ladies, for the insensitive analogy.)

I eventually got back on the bike and started slowly (even moreso than before) down the trail. I began to feel a little better and decided to grit my teeth and finish, even if I houred out. The next thirty miles were excruciating and eye-opening. I never thought I had a lot of determination and drive in me, but making it to the end, the whole time wavering between thoughts of "How much can I get for this bike?" and "I wonder what the Sawmill will be like?", showed me otherwise. And I realized that I've come a long way in the 2 1/2 years that I've been riding dirtbikes. And that in another 2 1/2 years, I will have learned a lot more and hopefully be in better shape that I won't want to puke myself inside out when I get back to the truck.

And for all that, thank you, Timekeepers.
(And may you all burn eternally in Hell.:p)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Yessir 831, that was me. Quacky was saying that this was a lot harder than the Quicksilver. What do you think?
I looked at my forks after the race, I might have pushed the dust seals in a bit. I also run low oil levels in the first place so I probably bottomed the stantion tubes. Whooppee!
I might have to do some more D-36 enduros, probably the ones in October.
Cheers, endo

Top Bottom