placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I wasn’t able to make it Friday night due to a trip to LA, but did load up that night for an early Saturday departure and arrived by 8am-ish. Upon first arriving I stopped by the checkpoint-team organizer to see if he needed my help and not only did he but was short 3 hands, and asked how soon I could get dressed to go. Being an old guy I told him I’d hustle as best possible mean much for me with all my supports, guards, and other gear to support my dismantling body and keep it in order.

Passing thru camp revealed no other known DRNers (couldn't fiond you, Scottyz250), though two Toyotas looked familiar; was this Jonala’s? Seeing his company sticker and XR250 confirmed it was his indeed. He (JA) and his dog Buzz returned from their walk as I was scrambling to unload and get dressed. We were able to carry on a conversation but I had to skedaddle and join my check crew for the trip out.

One of my fellow check workers was a Timekeepers member Mike Baxter (the other was Bill). He insisted I ride his ’00 Gas Gas 300, and such a kind offer was not to be refused. I had difficulties starting it with such a short lever, but once for the day was all it took.

This Piglet enduro was a 50-miler; set up for the lesser experienced nonetheless demanding compared to other-like family events. We got in a fair amount of trail riding the course backwards to access our checkpoint. It was not an emergency check, albeit a “check in”, well hidden and after a difficult downhill prior to a run on a dirt road – good burn.

It was overcast the entire day, and there was a light mist coming down; glad I brought my enduro jacket (and other warmer wear & gear) as it got a bit on the cool side; didn’t take my gloves off either, and was glad to bring a sandwich and snacks. Speaking of snacks, Mike had this pre-packaged irradiated-tuna vacuum-packed thing, Bill his power bars, and me whole wheat pita with organic cheese and alfalfa sprouts, followed by raw almonds and dates – I think we had it all covered.

There were quite a few families coming thru, and a few seniors as well. JA burned our check by one minute. After the last contestant passed thru, Mike built a small fire which kept us plenty warm. Later the sweep crew pulled in, and we were free to return back to camp.

Gas Gas ride report: Mike has his bars rotated waaaay forward for me, and it should be for this kind of single-track riding although I had other things to get used to. I never dropped it but sure came close a few times. Going to the checkpoint we were riding the course backwards (it was safe as it was way too early for the riders to be coming thru). This thing has some Gas Gas! Real meaty bottom to a screaming mid and top, though one doesn’t need much of that here. It’s not as slim as my Suzuki but turns just as well, albeit in a different fashion; less twitchy but the rear wheel kicks out easier, overall a lot like my former KX/KDX hybrid; no surprise as it shares many parts. We were jumping water bars and it felt good in the air and landing. On one Mike unintentionally sprayed me with mud from the top of my head to my toes; think it be good to not follow so closely. At one point we poked out onto a road and we all opened them up, and I wasn’t paying attention when my two fellow check workers abruptly stopped at a trail entrance – I grabbed for the brakes but oops! they are not in the familiar place/feel so I went straight into the bushes to avoid a rear-ender. Mike says “you okay?” “yeah!” I replied. One thing about this motor is it sure tractors well, so much as you get lazy and I stalled it more than once. It does propel you, chug forward whether you want to or not, so be forewarned; reminds me of my DR350 when I punched it out to 441ccs – you betta hold on!

On the return trip we rode the same trails although it was different experience with the now sloppy wet soil. It was peeling up and sticking to the tires, making for goon riding (I hate that!) Even Mike laid it over but he does it with much more style than I do and certainly less often. At one point I put my foot down and bent it on a rock; it’s still sore. Mike and our other trail mate each asked if I was okay since my pace was down a notch or three from their’s – between the odd-feeling of the bike, worn knobs, slimy/slick ruts, jersey-ripping branches and sticks, and useless rain-soaked goggles (I wear glasses underneath) there were plenty of excuses for me to use.

In summary I liked the bike but it’s a bit too much engine for me (250 max?) and the set up of course needs fine tuning. I would like it to be a tad slimmer up front. Other than those things it’s fairly easy to ride and built to last; turns well, especially if you like the Kawasaki feel.

Once there get out of my gear and sit down for some conversation with JA while Buzz eyed my (all natural) refried means and home-made tortilla chips. JA was sticking around for a fellow to deliver a 200exc for his consideration. We hiked a few times up and down camp but this fellow did not show today, so JA called it a day and headed home. It was good to see him again.

Wanting to camp around other like tent folks (away from generators) I moved to the other side of camp and setup closer to Baxter, across from signup. This was a good move as there was a small fire started and I wanted to unload some oak. Conversations around the fire lasted until midnight. One of the topics was the ranch caretaker came by and was rightfully indignant at some play riders going beyond the camp area. (Camp was on private property, and well rutted from the first postponement due to snow.) The club cordoned off.

I usually wake up way too early and Sunday was no exception. At 4 am I heard this “tap – tap, tap” as one of my pickup-bed tent’s corded hooks was swinging in the wind and tapping the sheet metal side of the fender; no, I wasn’t going to get cold nor be seen in my undies just to stop the banging noise. And thereafter surprisingly more shut eye came my way.

Fist thing was to tear down my tent as later in the day the energy to do so is traditionally absent. Breakfast hit the spot (three fried eggs wrapped in a warmed pita) as I perused signup and chatted with others. Oh: Farmer John was there and we got to chat before he had to run to his assignment.

Mike and I suited up for or 9am checkpoint departure and he expressed interest in riding my RMX, and he wanted me to try his ’05 GG with a dual-mapped ignition. What a shame: he was flat tracking, wheelie-ing over everything at will, roosting, banging berms, and flat out leaving me in a way I am never able to on my own! The only time I could catch him was when he stopped to wait for my slow arse. Gessh! I could learn something if he stayed in sight. At the gas stop we adjusted the clickers for him and his warp speed style. We then trail rode up to our checkpoint for setup.

Our checkpoint for this event, the Wild Boar, was a tiebreaker. We setup near the plane crash site, and had over an hour to use so Mike took me eastward and we got onto the course for some awfully good riding. As before he was just all over that bike of mine, such that when we arrived back at our checkpoint he said he shouldn’t ride it anymore as he was getting to want it, even more than his former YZ250. But he preferred the grunt of his GG; and so did I but I am not able to use it nearly as effectively as he is. His ’05 has Ohlins forks and they are superior to the WP on his other bike, although he thinks my Showas can be made to work almost as well. That 2-stage ignition was as they say, although it took me a while to figure out which one I was on as there were few open areas to wring it out. It has a six speed although it’s really close-ratio-ed; the best setup for this tight single track – like an MX transmission, with an extra gear. I like it better than my 5-speed wide ratio trans. for conditions here.

Back at our checkpoint we had this perfect setup; there was a long downhill on the spine of a ridge. It empties out to rutted and whopped sections with standing water. Then after a short straight, you turn right and voila! our checkpoint. No one burned it; many lost minutes leading into it, and some were as late as 45 min.

I had my usual pita sammich (don’t laugh: they are easy to make and healthy), Mike his nuke-zapped tuna, and the others their salami sandwiches. For dessert we shared my almonds and dates, and another, his animal cookies although I politely refused, not wanting a sugar high. Upon sweep’s arrival we packed and left. Mike and I trail rode a 10-mile section back to the second gas stop, which was one of the best rides I’ve had in a long time.

Back at camp I thanked Mike for insisting I ride his bikes, and collected my free tee shirts and crossed axle-deep Clear Creek on my way home. These folks put on a very good event; and for those of you considering, you should do it soon as the Creek may be closed someday were it not for the efforts of this club and the Salinas Ramblers.

Top Bottom