MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
So I pull in to the first check not knowing whether I was early or late, up or down, just grateful that I hadn't crashed my brains out. The checker writes a number on my scorecard (20), but I have no idea what it means. I ask him how I'm doing and he says I'm tied for the lead with a zero!:yeehaw: (I later found out that most people zeroed the first check.)

Feeling a little confident, I start trying to match my odo and clock when OOOPS! Front wheel goes in a big hole and I simulate the beginning of a perfect endo, but manage not to bring it to fruition. Taking your eyes off the trail to check your rollchart/odometer/clock can be hazardous to your health. From that point on, I only check my status on straight fireroads.

The trail leads to a steep, rutted downhill and I proceed with caution. I catch up to a father/son combo and the little kid is going impossibly (and impassably) slow and I'm squeezing the bejeesus out of the front brake not to plow into the two of them. Mercifully, the downhill comes to an end, but we're still on singletrack so I resign myself to following the pair (it was actually kind of fun watching the diminutive rider negotiate the trail). Once in a clearing, the dad signals for me to pass and I oblige politely. Without having to look at anything, I know I am late so I drop the hammer (which is to say I clicked it up to 2nd gear:laugh: ).

A few miles later I check the time and I'm still a couple minutes late, but I see something on the chart. RESET FROM 13.7 TO 15.9. OK. I stop and do so and now I'm a couple minutes early! Sweet. Time to clean the goggles and drink some water. I take off again and quickly come upon check 2. Farmer John is there and writes down 30/30 on my card, mumbling something about this being an emergency check. I ask him how I'm doing and he says I'm 10 minutes late. Say WHAT??? How can this be, I cry, and tell him about the reset (as if he didn't know:confused:) to which he replies: YOU'RE NOT THERE YET! Oh, you're supposed to reset your odometer when you actually get to the mileage indicated and not when you happen to see it on your rollchart. That does make sense now. (It was my first enduro, OK?)

The remaining checks are relatively uneventful - burn a couple, late to others, and soon I come up to the final check. They take my scorecard and hand me a finisher's pin with a picture of Babe (the talking pig[let]). Yeah! I finished my first enduro and had a tremendous time. Thank you Timekeepers for putting on such a fine event! I'll be back next year for Part Two.

It was great to see all the familiar faces and some new ones. Placelast, thank you so much for the rollchart holder and the clock. I would not have had nearly the fun I did without them. The people here on DRN are really great.

Last edited:

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Sounds like your first enduro about had it all.
I notice that you managed not to get lost, though....
That is another feature that I seem to 'enjoy' about enduros.
Good luck, and keep it up!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great report Jake!  It sure was good to see the familiar Black Chevy with the DRZ in the back pull in the morning of the piglet!  Everyone all pointing and saying "There's Jake!!! :) "  Ahhhh, the first NorCal Spode from Southern California fits right in...This was my third enduro using timekeeping equipment (rollchart and digital watch + odo).  I still suck at trying to keep up with rolling the jart chart forward so I just pull over and do it "safely" even though I'm consuming minutes I don't have to spare.  By the way, I pulled one more picture of you off the pic board and I'll send it or save it til I see you at the Training Wheels!  Congrats on your placing, you might get a trophy your first try at an enduro!!  Wow!

Natalie

pinball

Sponsoring Member
Oct 19, 2003
You ride like a girl ,no wait ,that`s not fair for the girls ,cause most that I`v seen are better than you!! :laugh:

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Oh, you're supposed to reset your odometer when you actually get to the mileage indicated and not when you happen to see it on your rollchart.
Oh, man, you're never going to hear the end of that. You didn't stop for gas early, too, did you?

Top Bottom