Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Got my 04 Kdx in Feb and have had a blast. I added a Maier rear fender, FMF desert pipe, Boysen reeds, had the head milled and added race tech suspension. I thouhgt I was riding the perfect machine. The stock Dunlop 739FA tires were looking bad. By the way I know now that the FA in Dunlop stands for Freaking Awful. After searching tires on here forever I decided to put a Michelin M12 80/21 front and a Rear S12 130/18. Went riding today in everything from creek beds with sand,gravek,rocks and logs. Finishd the day up on a somewhat motorcross track with some pretty decent jumps.
I have to say it is a whole new ride! It was unbeleivable what a good tire does for the bike. Thanks to all that post the good information on here. :yeehaw:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I did not realize how much better my bike would be until I threw out the 739's it came with too. I opted for Pirelli MT 32's and really like them. Thankfully I believe the new KX's come with Bridgestones, which have to be better than 739's. I'm hoping to get a new one next year.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Any new tire will be better than a worn one.

I tried the S12's on my KDX and found them a little vague. As such, they didn't inspire much confidence. Switched to a Maxxis IT and all in the world was good again.

The S12 is a very expensive tire...and it didn't last very long. The IT, by comparison, was almost 1/2 the price and lasted twice as long.

Let the tire thread wars begin ;)

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
No this is good stuff let me have some input is it better to have soft rubber that grabs but nobs that are sure to be rounded after every ride or is it better to get the hard rubber and have big nobs without the soft rubber advantage?

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I think the M-12 front/S-12 rear is a good combo on my KDX too. My KTM came with a Bridgestone M-59 front tire and it sticks like glue! I am very impressed,it is excellent and I recommend it.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I run an M12 front and Maxxis IT rear. Works great in rocks and dry soil. But after riding in Oregon, the M12 needed to be aired down to like 7 pounds and the rear is so stiff in the sidewalls, that it did nothing but spin. Braking for the front on steep downhills is awesome but the rear would lock up if even lightly touched. Once the soils started drying out (It rained hard less than 12 hours before) the rear started to work somewhat again. So, keep in mind what type of terrain you're riding on and what air pressures your running. A simple change in air pressure could do the trick.
BTW that Maxxis is so stiff, I eventally had to take it in to be mounted after pinching the tube 3 times. It will however run without any air if you have a rimlock on it, it's that stiff.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I run the S-12's front and rear and love them.
Got about 700 miles on them now, front looks almost new, rear is not too worn.

I think I should be able to get about 1500 miles of crazy aggressive riding on the rear before I will replace it. Front will last much longer.

Phil

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
How are they for wear on pavement? I want to buy new tires for my KDX but I have to hit the hard stuff to get to many of the trails. (mainly oil slicked roads) I'm not going to buy super expensive tires if they won't last 1/2 the season.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
crazymike said:
How are they for wear on pavement? I want to buy new tires for my KDX but I have to hit the hard stuff to get to many of the trails. (mainly oil slicked roads) I'm not going to buy super expensive tires if they won't last 1/2 the season.

You need a 50/50 on/off tire riding roads.

Top Bottom