Will a KDX 220 fit a HEAVYWIEGHT rider ??

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
Ive got a buddy that wieghs about 260lbs and would like to buy a KDX 220,but he is not sure that it will hold up to his wieght.He rode my sons 220 and loves the power delivery and handling.What do you think and can anyone suggest any mods for a big guy??
THANKS

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
He's pretty close to my weight, actually probably really close and I ride a 200.

Heavier shock and fork springs and he's good to go!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
In addition to suspension changes above, depending on your riding areas, you may want a 12 tooth countershaft sproket to make the 200's work a little easier.

N2UF

Oct 14, 2003
I am 250 and with 46 front springs the suspension feels great- as mentioned above I also went to a 12 tooth front sprocket and that helped a great deal with low end HOWEVER I find myself constantly shifting because of the more narrow power band.

aliikai

Aug 17, 2003
I am 6'4", 260 lbs and have a new KDX220R. The bike is good stock if you are a novice (like me). I have had the bike for about three months mostly ride trails and I really enjoy the bike. It has plenty of power for me, but I am getting ready to order heavier (.48 kg) race-tech fork and a heavier race-tech (5.6 kg) shock springs on the bike, and well as the tall seat foam (ceet brand). Follow the guidance in the tips for tall riders section. Search through the site, there's plenty of good advice for slim, trim 260 lb. guys like myself and your friend.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
260 Heavyweight?? I was 297 when I bought my 02 KDX220 and not only did it haul my big butt around, it helped me drop 32 lbs. Now I'm still a Heavyweight at 265 Dayum! :moon:

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
Stiffer springs front and rear and maybe a sprocket change and it will be prrrrrfect for him.

He may also wan't to be sure that his jetting and power delivery are spot on - with a heavier rider, the bike might feel a bit flat out at low rpm. He shouldn't have a problem with traction though!!!!!!

Top Bottom