Will a KDX200 be too much bike for me?

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
Alright, for those of you with KDX 200's, let me tell you my dilemma/story. Currently I have an RM80 which has turned out to need more maintenance than I have the time/motor-orientedness to give it. Anyway, the RM has plenty of power and speed for me, but like I said, it needs too much maintenance. So, I ask first: How often should you be doing regular maintenacne on the KDX, and how is this compared to, say, my RM80? I heard they are pretty bullet-proof, which sound's appealing. Now, I am only 5'3", 115lbs, but I am decently strong for my age (can come pretty close to benching my own weight.) Like I said before, the RM with the FMF fatty pipe has plenty of "zip" and speed for the trails. How would a KDX be compared to this? Is a KDX really fast and hard hitting, and basically scary to ride on trails? After all, it is a 200 cc 2-stroke. I've been riding dirtbikes for about a year now, and am pretty good, but would a KDX "manhandle, and get out of control" for a person of my size/weight? I've heard that the pre-95 KDX's have lower seat heights compared to the newer ones...how low are we talking? Like 35"? I can easily sit flat footed on my 33" high RM...
Please let me know if you think this is too much bike for me, or too much maintenance for me.
Thanks in advance!

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If you can ride any 80 on trails easily, a KDX will seem like a dream. There is no other two-stroke that is as mild-mannered, easy to ride, and beginner friendly as a KDX, yet it has enough performance to show much more powerful bikes it's rear fender in rough, tight trails. At 5'3", you are a tad short for a full size bike, but there are others here just as short that ride KDX's, and you should be able to at least touch the ground on it if you can flat-foot your RM. As for maintenance comparisons between an MX 80 and a KDX, they are from different planets. Where you will be doing top-ends on the 80 every 15-20 hours, a well maintained KDX will go a year or more on a top-end, depending on how hard you ride, of course. Other than top-ends and clutches, the maintenance on all dirt bikes is pretty much the same. You still have oil to change, linkages to maintain, filters to clean, etc.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
It's OK!

I'm 5'4" and ride a KDX 220. I have a hard time touching the ground and when i stop I try to find a little hump so I can hold the bike up. You'll be OK I think. As far as the motor it's tame enough that if you have experience with a dirt bike you'll have no problems. Considering that you can keep a RM 80 singing you will really appreciate the powerband on the 200. They are easy to ride.

The bikes are reliable and if you have good maint. habits you will enjoy it for many years.
Good luck

fred

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I dont think that the seat height is that much different, with a 95 or newer you will get a more modern bike, not the the other older bikes are bad, they are still geart trail bikes, the new 200 is a bit more modern. You can always lower the suspension 1-2" and as you get used to the bike or grow into it you can restore the sus. back.
The power will make you very happy on the trails for many years to come. The 200 with its full size wheels and longer wheel base also will make the rough stuff easier to manage.:)

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
what kind of seat difference are we talking about between a pre-95 and a post 95? How do you lower the suspension? Just adjust the preload/oil to give the shocks more sag? Thanks, keep the replys a' comin'!

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I think that a pre 95 is a little over 35" in seat height and a 95 or newer is about 37", as far as lowering the sus., a good tuner like the ones listed here can do it for you. You could also cut down the seat. Another option is the Devol dog bones, they will lower the seat height about 3/8".
Most new MX'ers are between 37-39", my 250F was about 39.5" tall and Im about 5'7" tall, I felt like Shaq on the bike!!

landrow

Jun 7, 2001
You didn't mention how old you are, I am assuming ealy teens, which means you have plenty of growing left. If you're older than that and done growing you might want to consider spending a lot of time in the gym. I'm not trying to dog you, but the KDX wet weighs about 100 lbs. more than the RM80. It can make a short ride seem long if you're muscleing the bike through tight stuff and it weighs twice what you do. The pro's IMO are this: The KDX is the best beginner bike made, and can be made to absolutley rip. The power band is very user friendly and will probably never catch you by surprise, especially with you coming off of an 80. Bulletproof is a tad exaggerated for maintenance, but with the Nickasil bore top ends last longer. Also, due to the low compression of the motor, it tends to run quite cool which also adds life. The rest of the maintenance is the same. I will say though that this bike is not nearly as picky with jetting as most MXer's. It still needs to be tuned properly, but you can get away with a lot more on this bike. Cons: Suspension! You are a light rider so you probably won't have any trouble at all. I weigh 175 ( not heavy by any means) and desperately need stiffer fork springs. I am currently running the forks 5 clicks out from full compression, only because I am afraid of running them all the way in. As long as you don't expect to turn in the fastest lap times at a SX track you'll do fine. All around performance is nice on this bike, You should like it a lot. However, if jumping doubles and flying through rythm sections and whoops are your thing you should probably consider a much lighter 125. Good Luck!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Power is not the problem blink.

Your size/weight/strength might be. The best way to tell is to throw a leg over one. The youger kids in my neighborhood have tried mine, they are both 14 and darn near 5'6'', perhaps even a little taller.

While they could 'ride' it. I wouldn't want so see them with it in the woods. They didn't have the strength to man handle the bike if need be or even touch w/o finding a log or something. Perhaps the TTR (which is shorter by far or perhaps an XR-200) might be more in order.

If you swing by Cincinnati, you can try mine, short of trying one I don't reall know what else to say. That might be easier said than done.

-MD

landrow

Jun 7, 2001
RE: TTR225

I wouldn't consider the TTR225 an option. It's a very bulky, heavy bike with even worse suspension than the KDX and even less power than your 80 makes. If you're looking to move up to a full size bike, the KDX is probably your best bet, especially if finances are a factor. I know when I was 15 the days were long and the dollars were short. If you have a little more to spend you might want to look into a Gas Gas 125. They build a very nice bike. The frames are copied from the KX then they are set up for off road rather than track. My next bike will probably be the GG250 or maybe 300. The GG 200 is on par with the KTM 200EXC which is probably the best all around in it's class. But KTM's do cost more and in my opinion are ugly as sin. I will finish by saying this, when my ten year old son is 15 he will be riding the 99 KDX 200 I am on right now. Also, don't worry about seat height, just spend a little time in the weight room and you'll be fine, you've got at least three more years of growing left. The XR200 will leave you disappointed, the XR250 may be an option but I would choose a KDX over it any day, same goes for the TTR250. YZ250F's are way too tall and for that much money I would buy the GG. Good luck and keep us posted. I almost forgot to mention the ATK125. Also a very nice bike and the seat height will be perfect for you they are about the same as your 80 but it is a full size bike. They may be very tough to find though. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but that is probably the ideal bike for you.

Last edited:

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Like I said throw a leg over one. Heck some of the 80's today are as tall as my KDX. We just sold an older YZ80, that was an in-between size.

If you can easily flat foot your RM, you probably would be fine with the KDX.

-MD

landrow

Jun 7, 2001
Thumper7

ATK's website is unfortunately not as good as their bikes. My local dealer just sold the 125 he had and I had the opportunity to check it out in person. The seat is definitely no more than 34 maybe 34.5 inches. They recently lost their contract with Rotax though and have had to drop their two stroke line. Rotax and ATK will continue to service the bikes and provide parts for them, you just won't be able to get new ones. Also, they may claim a 37.5 inch seat height but even their 250's are the same as my KDX. They say the 125 has the power delivery of a KDX which makes it very unique for a 125. Although I must say I am only basing this on what I have seen and have been told, I haven't had the pleasure of riding one.

Top Bottom