Will a KTM 200 "putt"?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm thinking of moving from my KDX200 to something else. What I want is a cross between my KDX and my KX125- light, flickable, a little bit of excitement to the hit, but at the same time I like to ride slow thru technical sections and "putt". The KDX does all this very well, but I sure do like the smaller frame factor and light weight of the KX125.

I know the KTM rips on mid and top, but will a 200exc (or sx, if I should find one of those) putt and go slow when asked?

Eddie Haskel

Jun 26, 2004
I don`t really rember it`s been 2 weeks but the 200 xc-w does rip it`s lighter than my kdx i think about 20 pounds[99.8kg] turns a lot better in corners I raced it 2 weeks ago it did really good it was hard dusty and really really ruff i think it needs a steering damper for the ruff. i got about 55 mph on the straitaways as far as slow? it is geard low it has a hydraulic cluch you can pull with one finger so you can go slow.the gas gas has a slipper cluch i think you can`t go much slower than that. but i am real happy with mine. katoom for ever! ride hard!!!!

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Look at a Gas Gas 200 they are real smooth like a KDX. They also have a low seat hight.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Putt ??? heck no, they can't even chip. :rotfl:
I slay me. LOL. Sorry I couldn't help it. :)

kx200 said:
Look at a Gas Gas 200 they are real smooth like a KDX. They also have a low seat hight.
I can attest to that. There is a significant difference in seat height between my Gas Gas and my KTM.

Mully

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Gas Gas would be fine, as would Husaberg, but I live in a VERY remote section of New Mexico and #1- I have to find one and #2- it has to be used since my budget for this is about $3000. I have yet to see either of these on abcd-bay, the regional thrifty nickle, online board, or locally in a 500 mile radius. The other problem is parts. I can order KTM plastic and such thru RockyMountain ATV, no problem. On the other hand, I have found a few KTM200's and there's several dealers w/in that 500 mile range, 3 of them w/in 250 miles. So, KTM it's going to be, if I even do it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Do it ... my opinion anyway.

The 200 is not a tractor, but it is a very nice bike. Mine is bone stock with the exception of changing the main jet.

It came with a 185 and I dropped a 172 into the carb at Moab a couple of years ago. Once I did that, it began to absolutely scream. Even with that I can lug it down and torque the bike through many spots without downshifting the bike. One quick fan of the clutch will bring the engine back into the powerband if I get too low.

Speaking of shifting, I have an MXC version of the bike with the close ration tranny. I have heard that some mag did a study and people shift the close ratio tranny much less than the wide ratio tranny.

BTW - What is very remote in New Mexico? Good trails? Care to put together a trails ride? :cool:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Tony Eeds said:
BTW - What is very remote in New Mexico? Good trails? Care to put together a trails ride? :cool:

Nearest trail riding would be Angel Fire/Red River NM and there is some decent riding up there, even more in the Taos area. Both of these are a 120-150 mile drive for me, though.. I'm in ranching country- open grasslands.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Go for it. Before I bought my Gasser I test rode a KDX200. While my Gasser won't lug as far as a KDX, the clutch pull is so light that I never have a problem and as soon as I want to start riding fast, the Gasser is so much better. If you can find a GasGas, don't worry if you don't have a dealer near by, Smackover Motorsports carries pretty much everything will ship it so you get the parts in a few days. Oh yeah, when looking at Gassers, if you want smooth make sure it has the EC ignition with the heavier flywheel, mine is like the DE's which have the motocross ignition and flywheel so they rev quicker.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
A modern KTM250exc with the small carb ( they have smaller carbs than the KTM200) would be a great all around bike. The 200 with the big carb is just not a very good putt-er.

I think KTM went to the modern sx motor with the small carb beginning in 2004. That would be my choice for an all around upgrade from a KDX.

PS. I raced KDX200's for 4 years, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.....

overthebars

Jul 9, 2005
Put a Recluse clutch on a 200 exc, tune the power valve to open a bit slower , and it will "putt" through a tight technical section as good if not better than anything on the planet (except maybe a trials bike)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
NM_KDX200 said:
Nearest trail riding would be Angel Fire/Red River NM and there is some decent riding up there, even more in the Taos area. Both of these are a 120-150 mile drive for me, though.. I'm in ranching country- open grasslands.

Mmmmm

up there ... OK south of I40
120-150 miles ... a bit farther south
ranching country-open grasslands ... well that has to be east of I25.

I'm gonna guess Santa Rosa!! :)

You need to watch the New Mexico trip next spring thread in the North Texas Smack Pack forum. JMD has gone out there for at least a couple of years and from what I hear has found a great place to ride.

As far as Red River goes, I am definitely in for next summer. I spent summer vacations there for the first 15 or so years of my life. Beautiful place!

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Tony Eeds said:
I'm gonna guess Santa Rosa!! :)

I was gonna say Clayton.

My family used to have a ranch in Santa Rosa (Pintada, actually).

That April ride in Alamo/Cloudcroft sounds fun. I may have to hook up w/ you guys for that...

deston_16

Dec 8, 2005

The 200exc does rip but i cant keep it slow enough when i need to.

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
LoriKTM rode the 200EXC for several years. Great suspension, light weight, and one helluva powerplant. Think 250 power with a 125 delivery. Putting isn't the 200s speciality, it prefers to rip.

That said Lori enjoyed the bike a lot when she moved to it from the KDX200. We lived in IL at the time and the nice rock free loam was great with the 200EXC. However when we moved to rock filled upstate NY she didn't like it as much. The way the power comes on can make it a bit of a handful in the rocks.

Things that help: get the suspension revalved for rocks if you ride a lot of them, install a flywheel weight (this smooths the hit and gives the bike more down low torque), try an aftermarket pipe.

If you like to plonk try to arrange a test ride on a 250EXC. They aren't much heavier than the 200 (about the same as your KDX) and they make gobs of nice smooth tractable low end.

Wintermute
-------------------------------------------------------
I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
Yes it putts....
I just bought a 2003 200 EXC. My other bike is a 1999 KDX 220 with a 12 oz. flywheel.
The KTM is bone stock and will putt every bit as good as the KDX. The EXC has a very low first gear, so crawling over a fallen tree is no problem. The lighter weight also makes it easier to putt up steep inclines. I was very surprised my self that this bike putts this well. The midrange is very explosive, I plan on doing some the mods that will tame the hit. (power valve adjustment, throttle cam, flywheel weight, gnarley pipe)

I think the first two mods will do the trick, and are cheap mods.
The KDX is a good bike, The KTM is an excellent bike.
I'm glad I bought the KTM. :cool:

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
I don't see anything a 200exc can't do. It will be a bit tougher to climb really technichal long hills if you lose your momentum, other than that it can do anything. My 200xc has plenty of grunt to get me up all but the most difficult of hills,in which case I will get more of a run at it and keep it up in the rpm's. I'm more than happy to give up a little low end torque for have the light weight/small size of the bike. A flywheel weight will make it smooth as well. I like mine stock, nice and snappy power delivery that will lift the front wheel whenever I need it.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I replaced my KDX220 with a KTM 200XC, The Gas Gas is also a great bike, but the KTM is by far the lightest.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
The 200 is a wonderful bike. That said, if your goal is buttery smooth low end, huge traction, and not having to be in the "right" gear all the time, consider the 250 EXC. I've ridden both in different conditions, and either one would make me happy.

The 200 is "edgier" in that it has punchy throttle response and less gyroscopic influence in railing turns. It feels fast, lean, and sharp. It's a bike you want to push hard, and it's ridiculously fun.

The 250 is just plain forgiving. You can bauble, screw up, miss shifts, lug it, scream it...it doesn't care. It is also deceptively fast, because it is smooooth...just like fast riders. And if you want nuclear performance, stick the piston and head from a 250 SX on it, and hang on.

I'm 5'5" and under 120 lbs, and I don't find the size/weight an issue for either machine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…