Will I Look Like a Little Girl on a TT-R225?

Twin Cam Tom

Feb 21, 2002
I’ve ridden on the street all my adult life. I currently own my ninth Harley, a 2002 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I consider myself an open-minded motorcyclist, and have owned other bikes including five Gold Wings, an ST1100, and a BMW K100RT. I’m 44, 6 ft., and 210 lbs.

Recently I thought it would be a good idea to get a motorcycle for my sons (one age 9 and 12 year old twins). I wanted to buy one bike for all of them to learn on and use for now. I know absolutely nothing about dirt bikes. Usually I like to research items on the Internet before purchasing, but before I could do many online comparisons, I needed to find out what size bike was right for the boys. First I went to the local Honda dealership were I’ve purchased three bikes in the past. I like the people there, and they have given me good deals. Unfortunately, the XR80R was way too tall for my 9 y/o. Next we went to the Yamaha dealer. The TT-R90 was a good compromise: 9 y/o can stand on his toes, one twin can barely stand flat-footed, and the other twin is a little tall for the bike. Also, they had a used 2000 model for about $500 less than a new one. I bought it.

That was last Saturday. It is already apparent that we need more bikes. The TT-R125 looks like a good bike for the twins. Unless I want to sit in the truck and read a book while they ride, I need to get a bike for myself. I have no intention to race or compete in any way. I just want to stay up with my kids and have some fun. Because of the big price difference between 225cc and 250cc bikes, I’m interested in the TT-R225 (I might not be so worried about the price difference, except that I am also going to buy two bikes for my twins). One thing that concerns me is that the 225 seems to be marketed for “smaller, intermediate riders.” In fact, the brochure shows a girl riding it. Am I going to be laughed out of the woods on this bike? More importantly, is this going to be enough bike for me, or will I want something bigger and more powerful? Another reason that I’m strongly considering the 225 is that even if I don’t like it, it won’t be long before one of the twins will grow into it. Also, my 14 y/o daughter might want to ride it.

So what should I do? Buy the TT-R225, TT-R250, or see what Honda has to offer?

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
I'd go with the TTR250. You'll grow out of the 225 the first ride, but the 250 will probably keep you in good stead for a long time. At least until you decide to race and buy a WR!

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Having made the mistake of actually buying a new 2000 TTR 225 for my wife and I to share I can honestly say "Stay away from this pig of a bike".

I thought the TTR-225 would be a good compromise for me to get back into the sport and introduce my wife to riding.

Wrong.

The bike is a pig weighing some 265 lbs dry. It is under powered. It is under suspended. As it turns out my wife wasn't into riding and I quickly discovered that this bike was not going to cut it. I wound up buying a YZ.

For you - I would look at the TTR-250, the KDX 200 or 220, the KLX 300, or the XR 400.

-jeffd

XRBiker220

Feb 25, 2001
I wold not get a ttr225, i used to have one. get a kdx200 if u want a real fun bike that is super easy to learn on, and alot more powerful then the ttr too. The ttr was a piece of crap. get the ttr250 if u wont get a kdx. but the kdx is the bext bike for a beginer there is. get one, you wont regret it. they r cheap too.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
TCT,

Please stay away from the 225 as others have said it is wayyyy to heavy, wayyy to under suspended and I promise if you stay with the sport you will wish you had anything else!

The 225 is a street bike (barely) with knobbies.

Just my .02 cents look at the KDX or at an XR 250-400 they are fine bikes and you can make them into more pretty cheap if you want to.

Plus the resale on them is much more if you want to move up

Rod

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
My wife has one, she is 5' - 8" The bike is low and HEAVY!!! I echo the comments here about the KDX, wonderful bike for the money and it will go as fast or slow in the woods as you care to go. Used they are relatively cheap and have all the necessary mods done. I had one for 8 years with zero mechanical issues. I recently sold mine to a 14 y/o and he loves it. Please stay away from the TTR 225!!!

Last edited:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
If you can find a dealer who will bless you -w- a test ride before buying, try that first.
Or try some friends bikes first to see what size of bike your after.
Personally , judging by the street bikes you have listed, i think you might be better -w- a 400+cc machine.
(if you can spare that kinda cash. -w- buying more mini's for the kids and all.)
Take a look at a KTM520, 426 Yamaha, or (my personal favorite) a XR650R.
Since your already used to the weight of big street bikes the 650R will seem like a feather.
(and its not lacking for power either.)

And as far as a 265 lb bike being heavy...........you guys riding bicycles or what????;)

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I sat on a ttr225 at the shop...well it almost tipped over on me while i was on it! its so heavy its not even funny. Dont get one...guys new to riding off road will fall over alot and you dont want to be lifting 265 lbs after a really hard crash!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by dell30rb :
"I sat on a ttr225 at the shop...well it almost tipped over on me while i was on it! its so heavy its not even funny."

LOL
Although, i did the same thing a couple of months ago.
After hearing about what "porkers" those 225's are i just had to check it out.
Sat on it.....seemed like a nice bike.......tilted it over......doesnt FEEL that heavy.......picked it up (off the ground Scott Summers style).....THIS is heavy??? I'm far from being a musclebound brute, but maybey im jaded from riding a 20 y.o. thumper too long.
Dont know about its power though as the sales guy was giving me dirty looks after picking up thier bike, so i left........:confused: :confused:

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
I own a TT-R225 and they are not underpowered. I can ride wheelies on mine in 3rd gear. I don't think there heavy and i'm 14. The 1 thing they lack in is suspension. Other than that they kick ass. I would recomend riding 1 before buying though.

DDACT

Feb 25, 2002
If you have as much experience as you mentioned above, you'll outgrow the TTR-225 quickly. I bought one for my wife and it's perfect for her. Very tame power and low seat height. Plus it has that magic starting button.

The down side is that it's underpowered and doesn't have much suspension. I ride my wifes occasionally, and for trail riding in the woods, it's fine. You can outwalk it in first gear, which is nice. Power is very smooth and predictable. Plus, the bike is absolutely bulletproof. Don't even look at a race track with it though.

Bottom line: It's a beginners bike. If you have previous experience, you'll outgrow it within minutes. It will keep up on the trails, but you'll really have to work for it.

Now a DRZ400 - Theres a bike to have.. :D

kudzukudzu

Sep 2, 2001
Have to agree on the DRZ. You can get a used one quite reasonably, and it's absolutely the best for riding with the family but feeling like an adult. The twins can evetually "graduate" to it as well.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
For you, DRZ or XR400. You can get one used & save a lot. XR's run forever. The DRZ has the electric start (button) option though which would seal the deal for me.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
yes you will look like a schoolgirl on a ttr 225 in my opinion you should buy a kdx 200 0r 220 i have one it is the greatest bike ever made it is bullet proof
but if 4 bangers float your boat i would go with a klx 300 drz 400 the ttr250 is kind of weak xrs are all good but if you want a bike for your kids too a klx 300 might be a good choice--or you could buy a quad:scream:

Top Bottom