yz80nbeast

Jan 25, 2007
please please please, tell me the carb adjustments to get my xr70 to idle, because with the choke up it will sit and run for hours with no faults(not too high or too low), but as soon as i put the choke down it will shut right off unless i start to give it constant throttle, but other than that riding wise the only thing that it does, it bad fires when breaking down(the gears) too fast.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Sounds like you have an air leak or the pilot jet is clogged. If it will run with the choke on, but not off, you are way too lean. Backfiring on decel is also a symptom of too lean (too much air/not enough fuel).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yz80nbeast said:
so wat screw do i turn and which way do i turn it?
thanks

If your bike wont run without the choke on, you have a clogged pilot jet. Remove the carb and take the float bowl off. The pilot jet is the small jet along side of the main jet. It sits down in a hole and has a screwdriver slot in the end. Take a small screwdriver and remove it. Clean the pilot jet and make sure you can see daylight through the hole in the middle. Remove the adjuster screw on the side of the carb and blow air through the pilot jet orifice and the adjuster screw orifice. Put the adjuster screw back in and screw it down all of the way. Then back it out 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns.
Put everything back together and the bike should idle.

Top Bottom