Will Over 450cc Bikes be Grandfathered

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Since the AMA has changed the rules for 2003 limiting displacement to 450cc for four stokes. What effect, if any, will this have for AMA amateur classes? Will the four stroke classes be limited to 450cc? What about the vet classes. Say you have a KTM 520, are you out of luck in competing in AMA amateur events/races?

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Surely someone can answer this question. If you own a KTM 520 are you going to be out of luck racing AMA amateur sanctioned races in 2003, either local or trying to qualify for Loretta Lynn's?

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I don't have my AMA rulebook in front of me, but here goes:

The 450cc limit applies only to 250 class racing. There is no "Open" class in AMA professional MX competition. If you read the class lists closely, all amateur classes are "250/Open A", "250/Open B", etc. For instance, a KX500 is perfectly legal now, and will continue to be, in these classes. Vet classes are simply 125cc and up.

So, I believe the 450cc limit applies only if you're racing AMA professional MX. Amateurs should not be affected by this rule.

I'll get out a rulebook to verify all of this, but it sounds about right, doesn't it?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This should be in the AMA Forum... AJ is an AMA Congressman & D17 Pres, wardy is MX Director D17.

I'll move it there.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Thanks MXfastguy. I've been kicking the idea around of a KTM 520 and want to make sure its would be "legal" in AMA amateur sanctioned events in the over 30/40 classes.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
anything

over 125 cc or in fact big wheel 100cc machines are legal in the adult age group classes. There are a whole batch of new rules which AMA ran by us at congress. I for one didn't realize what they were up to, so I will try to get that rule relaxed so that 426 and 450's are legal in open class.
Quite honestly I couldn't care less how the pro's do it, many districts have open classes and prefer to keep them. Just because someone some where else thinks its cool to have Heavywieght whatever don't make it the right way.
Its funny the reasons given for this move was to uniform with FIM rules, anyone lately in the US run a FIM race? No to mention, just because LL did away with open class many districts thought they needed to "get in line" with that ONE event.........not to mention......handicapping the thumpers in the 125 class and the 250 class will be a hot topic at congress this season!

if everything stands as written now, the 520 would be legal for age classes next year and open class also. But would not be allowed in the 250cc classes.

wardy

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by wardy
if everything stands as written now, the 520 would be legal for age classes next year and open class also. But would not be allowed in the 250cc classes.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here:

The 520 would also be legal in "250/Open A" or any other "250/Open" class (which is what most districts seem to have, including the Loretta Lynn's Amateur National). Right?

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
here it is out of the book.
class 2
175cc-250cc
290cc-450cc
class 3
290cc-500cc
475cc-650cc

so my answer to that would be no 520's wouldn't be in that class. You see they blanket changed these classes and many congress people didn't pay attention......including me! I hope to get this changed, I don't care how FIM does it. Ya know.....
wardy

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
I think the rule needs an adjustment, I have a real problem with national dictating classes. When classification of the rider gets taken care of then worry about classes. What may work for on area may not work here.
wardy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom