D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
So what do you guys and gals think?

With RC up on JBS by such a large margin, does RC take 2nd place if JBS is leading and only works on finishing in front of CR?

Or do we see the driven RC, the one that stepped it up to lap JBS, continue to ride 100%?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Tough call I think? If he intends to retire SX... he could be thinking either way, just get the title or battle to prove yet again, he's RC.
(I refuse to jump on the "GOAT" bandwagon, already overused) :p

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I think he is still going to charge hard for atleast the next couple of rounds. With all of the controversy this season with fuel and the loss of a full race due to his shock failure I think he just wants to go out and get a good cushion on all of his competition before going into "protection" mode. At this point he is too close in points to Chad to take that mindset already especially after experiencing the mechanical failure this year he has to have that possibility in the back of his mind. Plus Bubba would close to 8 points back if he took 1st and RC finished 2nd from here on out, and I think that is too close for RC's comfort level right now. Too much can happen in six races he has got to go hard for atleast 3-4 more rounds and then he can reasses where he stands.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I say he's gonna charge. I'll bet he wants to take the title with as big a cushion (better than the penalty).

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
He's not in title protect mode yet. The margin's too close. James probably can't catch him, but why cut it close? Anything can happen, as we've seen so far this year. And Chad could still step it up and challenge. No, I think Ricky will ride hard (but smart) for at least a few more races. If James jumps out front, RC may pressure him and wait for a mistake, but on the last few laps, if Stewart is still running smooth, we may see RC try some aggressive passes. That would be cool to watch.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
JMD said it: RC will ride hard but smart. He absolutely, positively, will not risk a DNF at this point. I don't think he sees Reed as a serious title threat so Stewart will get 100% of his focus. Unless Reed finds some speed his time atop the points is going to be short-lived.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I think he will keep charging. It has been my experience that when one backs off their race pace, one usually winds up on the ground ( seem to find bumps you didn't know were there before ). I keep wondering if that is what happened to BS in St. Louis, he knew all he had to do was take it easy and got caught off guard.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I still think he will try to run the table if it's feasible in each race. . .

If he crashes in the first turn and gets up in last, then throw out my comment . . . ;)

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
It already looks like he's not sticking his neck out too far. At Daytona he wasn't pushing that hard on the first few laps to battle with JBS. It looked like he was waiting for James to wad it up and thats exactly what happened.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I predict RC will ride smart.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Okiewan said:
(I refuse to jump on the "GOAT" bandwagon, already overused) :p

There's never been many on said bandwagon. I'd say the BubbaWagon has been WAY overused and overhyped! :boss:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I think it will depend on the day. If he feels good, the track is comfortable for him he will go after it a little bit harder. Main thing he will do is ride a hard good pace and take the other's mistakes as he does top three the rest of the season. He said it at the beginning that he is this for the championship, individual races matter less then the overall goal. Stewart is faster but needs more time, RC will win the championship by being consistant. Reed is already beat in his own mind. (my opinion)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Reed was out of the picture before the gate fell at A1. I think RC will try to win every race, but not at the expence of going down. I just hope JBS dosen't get to eager for a win and crash out RC with him.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Masterphil said:
Reed was out of the picture before the gate fell at A1. I think RC will try to win every race, but not at the expence of going down. I just hope JBS dosen't get to eager for a win and crash out RC with him.

That would be shame on RC unless JBS made another one of those "dumb@$$" moves that he made last year in the motocross series. RC knows what JBS is capable of, good and bad.

I am not a big SX fan, however this year it has been fun watching.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
wardy said:
Reed is already beat in his own mind. (my opinion)

I don't know,, the fact he ran the 4th fastest lap of the whole event with a messed up shoulder on pain killers indicates to me he can go faster and should give him a clue also. But you may be right, if he doesn't believe he can go faster he won't. I think Reed could run with RC at his fastest indoors if he had his head straight.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
RC wants two thing only this year:

1. Win by more than 25 points
2. Win the most rounds

Then he can comfortably retire in his own mind - but he'll settle for the crown and go into protect mode as soon as either one of those can't be achieved.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Masterphil said:

Well said!

DRK

Dec 31, 2002
SpDyKen said:
I predict RC will ride smart.

Agree.

If you were RC, wouldn't you have kicked it up a bit to lap JBS at Daytona? Damn right I would have. Had to have been a heck of a mental blow to Bubba. Of course he may have been riding in some heavy pain after taking soil samples.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
DRK said:
Agree.

If you were RC, wouldn't you have kicked it up a bit to lap JBS at Daytona? Damn right I would have. Had to have been a heck of a mental blow to Bubba. Of course he may have been riding in some heavy pain after taking soil samples.

I'm waiting to see how that affected JBS. I see one of two things happening, either JBS will come out with "something to prove", or he'll be one step closer to Reed, beaten in his own mind.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Masterphil said:
I'm waiting to see how that affected JBS. I see one of two things happening, either JBS will come out with "something to prove", or he'll be one step closer to Reed, beaten in his own mind.

The problem with JBS showing up with "something to prove" he wads it up. No pressure in Canada, he smokes everyone. When the pressure is on, he still looses his ability to regulate.

The fastest lap time doesnt count unless it coincides with the fastest 20 laps' time also.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
D Lafleur said:
The fastest lap time doesnt count unless it coincides with the fastest 20 laps' time also.

Yeah! I'm sick and tired of hearing, "Reed had the fastest time in friday morning practice" or "JBS was OMG riding LIKE WAY FASTER than RC every lap"(except for the one he crashed on).

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Unfortunately, Stewart's own worst enemy is an unrealistic vision of things. Saying "I'm the king of Daytona", or setting the fastest practice time is not what makes a champion. Humbling yourself and admitting realistically that RC knows the quickest way to the checkered flag, and admitting that Reed has consistency, is a realistic look......... Seeing those two issues as your weakness, and working on those goals, being better at those two things, is what makes a champ. Until JS focuses on "what makes a champion", he'll just be the fastest guy in practice.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
he'll never be forced into that if it doesnt happen before RC leaves

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
"In the lead up to the Daytona race I was asked what my strategy would be. It would be nice to strategize a race, but it is impossible to do before the race begins unless of course all your competitors get together with you and tell you they are happy to come second. I made my strategy to try and win the race about ten seconds before I made the move exiting...... "

Ok, which Daytona race winner said this? How many COULD HAVE said this?

I'll give the answer later.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I think the supposed “Penalty Points Asterisk” really sticks in RC's craw.

He charges till Vegas.

Top Bottom