Will this oil hurt my bike ? HELP

RazBarlow

Jan 24, 2001
I have a 1984 KDX200 . I normally run Bel-Ray MC1 or Golden Spectro both at 40:1 . I live out in the boonies and either have to drive 70 miles to get my oil or mail order it. Well, I did find some Castrol Grand prix 2-stroke Motorcycle oil Part No. 301D at Wal-Mart today . Will this hurt my newly rebuilt engine (less than 4 tanks on it) ? Or do some of you guys run it all the time ? At what ratio should I mix it ? I want to have enough oil but not create alot of spooge in my exhaust.
Is this oil safe to run and what would be the ratio ?
Thanks,
Raz

This is going to be moderate woods riding and temps in the 60's-70's if that makes any difference.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Choice in oil is like choice in women - everyone likes something abit different.

That stuff is pretty decent oil - so you should be just fine. A better alternative is if you have an Autozone or Advance Auto - grab some Mobil 1 MX2T. The stuff is really nice - fully synthetic and spooge free.

Cheap too.

sn

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
So Mail Order. There are many internet sites that are very good and have great prices. Some advertise here and desirve our business. I like www.rockymountainmc.com
I placed an order online Tuesday evening and it arrived today, Friday. There were two tires, some 2 stroke oil, fork oil, new grips, etc..
I've also ordered from MXSouth with good success. Jeff at MXS is very helpful and checks his e-mails several times a day. If you ask, they will discount Moose products by 12% as well.
And if that isn't enough, remember you aren't paying sales tax. Thank God we aren't getting all the government we are already paying for. Why send them any more?

groo08

Aug 9, 2004
I also just saw the Castrol GP 2-stroke oil at Walmart and was priced around $2 dollars for a quart. It says for "High-speed Competition Dirt Bikes and Trail Riding." Seems like a good deal. Has anyone else tried this?

mslaw

Sep 29, 2004
I ride an 84' also and tried the Castrol oil when I couldn't get the Bel-Ray I normally use. It not only worked fine at 32:1 but seemed to work better [cleaner plug, no lessening of power, etc.] than some of the other oils I've ran in the past in the KDX and other bikes. I wouldn't say it was better than the Bel-Ray but definitely not a major dropoff in performance.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
KDX's will burn most any oil without harm--especially branded two stroke oils. Over the years in various delimas I have burned almost every kind of oils in them. That said, most on this forum agree that you get better lubrication and longer between kips cleanings with 100% synthetic two stroke oils. The next question is ratio and most (but certainly not all) come back to about 40 to 1.

Adopt an oil, adopt a ratio, and then jet, jet and you will have a happy KDX--which in turn will make you happy!!!. Ride on John

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I agree with every point John makes. 40/1 is the usual mix. Use a good syn if you can get it. Hey.. convience is key to your enjoyment too!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
RazBarlow said:
...I did find some Castrol Grand prix 2-stroke Motorcycle oil Part No. 301D at Wal-Mart today . Will this hurt my newly rebuilt engine (less than 4 tanks on it) ? ...Is this oil safe to run and what would be the ratio ?

That oil will work fine in your air-cooled KDX.

32:1 is always a good place to start.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
2 stroke oil

Just an observation. Some people rip Golden Spectro. I used it for years, since the early 1970s actually. I didn't know it was still available, I use the Spectro SX, it is full synthetic, not a blend. I have to get it mail order also ( live in the boonies). The AutoZone where I live does not carry the Castrol or any other motorcycle 2 stroke oil, no request
for it I guess. I suppose they could order it.

Top Bottom