Will VP Red Racing Fuel already mixed with oil still be good after 6 months?

squale

Nov 10, 2003
I have VP Red Racing fuel mixed with YamahaLube 2-stroke partial synthetic oil at a 32:1 or 36:1 ratio which is in one of those red VP racing gas containers with the flexible tube at top. This mix is about 6 months old and has been sitting in my shed all winter long (I live in NJ so it gets pretty cold). Do you think I can still use this fuel this year? I have about 4 gallons mixed and don't want to throw it away if it's still good?

This is to be used in my 2001 YZ250.

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't use it in my bike.

I try to never mix more than I plan on using that day. Any excess after the day is done gets used in the truck.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Fuel in a steel can will last a very long time, 6 months to a year, easily.

Mixing oil with it only helps the lifespan. I been told by people that know way more than me about fuels that oil will act as a stabilizer. The exception is castor oil, which breaks down in gas and looses it's lubrication capabilities.

If it's been sealed up good then I would just run it. If it's sat vented, dump it in the truck. I've run tons and tons of premix through every vehicle I've owned, never had a problem.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
squale said:
I I have about 4 gallons mixed and don't want to throw it away if it's still good?

The fact that you stored it in a cold shed definitely helps.

You can get a "reasonable" idea if the fuel has turned bad by the smell. If it has the normal VP sort of pleasant VP smell you are "probably" ok. If it has a harsh varnish sort of smell then it has broken down past the point of being able to safely use it. If that's the case you should dispose of it.

adam728 said:
Mixing oil with it only helps the lifespan. I been told by people that know way more than me about fuels that oil will act as a stabilizer.

That is nonsense. Normal MX pre-mix oil will NOT prevent fuel from breaking down.

Last edited:

squale

Nov 10, 2003
well I dumped the gas that was in the tank of the bike, and just refillied with the mixed stuff I had in the VP plastic gas can for 6 months. Bike ran just fine!

Top Bottom