Will wider rear tyre give me more grip?

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
I have a KDX250 91 I ride enduro tracks for fun on the weekends. At the moment I run with motocross tyres front and rear standard sizes. I find the rear end tends to break away very easily when the bike hits the power band, would a wider rear tyre be much better? does anyone know how wide I could go without fouling the swingarm or chain etc, standard is a 110.

Jan 3, 2007
Almost every 2 stroke or 4 stroke bikes break traction easy in the powerband. A wider tire will give you more traction in sand, mud, ect, but it probably will still break traction when your powerband hits.

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for reply, I appreciate there will be some spin when the power kicks in but compared to modern bikes the rear tyre seems narrow, I seem to lose out to the newer bikes when accelerating out of a corner/berm, when they seem to gain ground while my rear end is either sideways or spinning or both. I do catch them on the straights or on braking and get some raised eyebrows when a 16 year old trail bike is hot on the tail of their £4000 new machine. Obviously I expect some slippage, the less I get the faster I will be, just wondered if anyone here has tried a wider tyre and found it to be an improvement.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom