bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
We decided to head to Juniper Dunes for a nice winter desert ride with some of our club members. Karl had to work Saturday so Firecracker rode over with us, (myself, my son and his friend) for the Saturday ride.

We loaded the four bikes and all the gear Friday night because we had to get going early the next morning. Saturday morning we picked up Firecracker about 7 am and off we went. We met the club about an hour out of town for breakfast and caravanned the next two hours in the fog to the dunes.

There were 14 people on the Saturday ride including myself, Firecracker, my son on his 80, his friend on a KX60 and two other kids on an 80 and a 250. Everyone took off across the desert, which is fairly hardpacked sand trails with soft dunes here & there. I have read and been told that in the sand speed is your friend. Unfortunately I’ve never considered speed a very good friend. Firecracker and I were getting accustomed to the sand and I was at the back of the pack trying to stay upright and making sure I didn’t lose my son or his friend. The rolling dunes make it quite easy to get off track and some of the whoops can easily swallow up a little guy on a 60.

As I crested a hill, I saw Firecracker just up ahead then as I hit the bottom of the hill I flopped over. My bike was still running so I grabbed the clutch, picked it up and headed out, hmmm bars feel funny, oh great they are bent yet again! I caught up to Firecracker as she waited for me and we headed out following the rest of the group.

I was getting more comfortable with the sand and I actually started to feel pretty good. The kids were ripping it up with the guys and I happy to keep the bike upright. We made a nice 20 mile or so loop before starting to head back. We came through a gate, stopped to regroup and the leader said we’d follow the Perimeter Trail around & back to the parking lot for lunch. Everyone fired up & took off, I waited for Firecracker and noticed that she was pounding on her clutch lever. I shut down my bike and Firecracker commented that her lever was hanging up on her bark busters. One of the guys was on top of the hill ahead of us waiting. She got her lever back in place and we took off after the guys. Once cresting the hill we say NO ONE! I picked up a paddle tire track that I assumed was the kid in our group on an 80. We followed it for a while and hit some awesome sandy dunes. I saw a group of bikes on top of one of the dunes and we headed towards them. But when we pulled up by them we noticed that they were not part of our group. Ooops, “you aren’t who we are looking for!” They laughed and asked who we WERE looking for and we told them a different group of guys. I asked where the parking lot was and they told us straight ahead to the powerline then left. Off we went but I couldn’t see the powerlines yet that didn’t bother me since the sand was starting to be fun.

We were having a blast in the sand when I looked back to make sure Firecracker was still following and saw one of the guys from our group. He’d been trying to catch us for quite awhile but kept missing us. He led us back to the group and they told us that they had been quite entertained watching us the whole time with binoculars. They watched us meandering around the dunes while the sweep guy was trying to intersect our trail. He’d blaze across the desert towards us and miss. Then spot us and take off again and miss…..

We started out again heading towards the parking lot. Came to a stop to regroup and discovered that the little guy (my son’s friend) on the 60 was missing. Then we realized that one of the members (the seniormost member) was also missing. A couple guys were just getting ready to go looking when we saw both of the missing riders heading our way. The little guy had tipped over and the other rider had just happened to spot a glimpse of Kawi green in the bushes. We made it back to the parking lot all together for lunch finally.

After lunch, we went out for one more loop. My son’s friend got stuck shortly after we headed out so I stopped to help him. We took off and there was no one in sight. I could see the fenceline so I decided we’d just ride along that until we saw someone. At least that way I knew we’d either hook up with them or just follow the fence back to the parking lot. It wasn’t long before one of the guys caught up to us. We stopped and he said the rest of the group was coming. Everyone showed up except Firecracker. Someone had noticed a single bike down in the bottom just past the next ridge over. Off went 3 of the guys. We were hoping they would find her because it was fairly late in the day. Sure enough, one of them found her and we regrouped again. This loop we stayed together a little closer and we all made it back together.

When we got back to the parking lot, I called Karl to see if he was going to make it over to ride tomorrow. He was already loaded and ready to come join us. Firecracker had a snowboarding trip set up for Sunday so she rode back with a couple guys from the club.

Sunday, we had a leisurely morning and arrived at the dunes about 11:00 am. The kids were ready to roll (I was ready for a nap). There were 9 of us on Sunday. Karl, myself, our two boys, 3 guys from the club and 2 of their kids. My clutch was giving me problems (it is still breaking in from the recent friction replacements). I stopped and Karl helped me get it adjusted (he always takes such good care of me). Off we went to catch up to the group.

This day was kid day completely. We played race to the bushes all day long and they loved it. The guys would pick a spot out on the horizon and everyone would race to it. We went to some of the big dunes where there weren’t any other riders and let the hillclimbing commence. We got to one long sandy climb and I wasn’t sure I wanted to try it. Some of the runs looked easy and some runs looked pretty soft. The guys were tackling all of them usually successfully. The boys were all having a blast trying to make it up the different runs. The kid on the 80 with the paddle tire kept telling me I HAD to try it. Finally about the 3rd time he stopped and told me he would show me which line to take. Okay, okay he zipped up the hill and I followed. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. WOW!!! I did it. He was quite pleased that he had been able to talk me into trying it. His dad told me that I could go over a ways to some firmer ground to go back down if I didn’t like the soft sand. Nah, I decided, I’ll give it a shot. I headed over the edge, hit the brake and stalled NOT what I wanted to be doing. Of course he and Karl got a good laugh at THAT. I coasted down as the group went over to the next set of dunes and I decided I wanted to try it again. Karl came back down with me and pointed out a little more challenging spot and gave me instructions – SPEED!!! Off I went upppp, uppppp, spppiiinnn, sppppiiiiinnnn ssstttuuuccckkk kerplop over I went. So I was stuck about 2/3 of the way up the hill with the bike on it’s side across the hill upside down. I shut off my gas and flopped the bike over so the wheels were on the downhill side. Picked it up and coasted back down. I listened to Karl’s instructions again and went up where I’d made it before, yes speed is my friend but I don’t trust it yet. We regrouped, played race to the bushes some more and finally it was time to get packed up for the trip home.

The weekend was absolutely beautiful and we all had a blast. Mid 50’s to low 60’s with rain at night and some slight misting off and on made the conditions perfect. I learned to appreciate my new friend speed (kinda) and was getting more comfortable with the soft sand and whoops. It was excellent practice for the Reno trip and my son told me I did good (he rode back with me and his friend kept Karl company). Now if I can just get the thought of “this is gonna hurt” out of my head I’m sure that speed and I will become good buddies!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Saturday's ride was definitely what sand riding is all about. We had everything from trails to hillclimbs to dunes. I've been to the dunes near Vantage, which are a LOT smaller and more sandy, with no trails. Juniper is definitely far superior.

I started off pretty tense--I've only ridden 3 times in the last 2 months due to weather--and my arms would not stop pumping up. I finally started to get my second wind though and felt much better. I didn't hit the ground all that often, really, though Bbbom missed one (that's why I was stopped near where she fell down) and caught up to me just as I was picking myself up from another. That was a doozy--I took a handlebar to the belly, and have a huge bruise the size of my whole hand to show for it. It didn't hurt until after we were done, when I took off my jersey though.

One thing I like about sand riding is the chance to open up my bike. Being the spode I am, I rarely get that thing up in the higher gears and let it run. I was in and out of 4th, 5th and 6th gear all day though. Still slower than everyone else, but oh well . . . I had a GREAT ride.

I did learn something about myself though. I have NO sense of direction. Me riding in the wide-open rolling hills is like turning your kid loose in Toys R Us--I will wander off the first time you turn your head. (Bbbom may already have known this, but I was hoping my last ride-leader misadventure was an isolated mistake). I got separated from the group no less than 4 times. :think:

There were times on Sunday that I wished I was back at the dunes. The weather and snow SUCKED BIG TIME. It was 40 degrees, misty, and occasionally raining at the ski hill, plus I was riding a brand new board that I had never been on before. It's about four inches longer than my old board, and I didn't really know how to ride that properly either! Oh well. I went back to the bunny hill where I belong and let the guys ride to the top while I threw solitary temper tantrums. (I tend to get very frustrated with myself whe I can't make my body do things my brain knows perfectly well how to do . . . anybody remember the Old Days when I was learning on my XR? I had some pretty gnarly trailside conniptions . . . ) Anyway, we called it quits when it started raining in earnest, had a beer (or three) with Dirtygirly and her ski friends, and went back out. My last 2 runs of the day were what I should have looked like all the time so the day wasn't a total waste.

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I still have not tried sand - you guys make it sound fun! What happens to your bike in all that sand? Any special maintenance issues? Must have been funny watching you two meander through the dunes with your sweeper in tow!! LOL!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sand is really weird. It is a good place to learn throttle control. You have to really be ON the gas more to keep moving, especially if you are on a smaller bike. Keep your weight towards the back like you are going downhill, and DON'T hang on too tight in the front end--the front end will do all kinds of funny things under you and you just kind of have to let it happen. The bike will wallow and drift everywhere, and you just let it go. Power is definitely your friend.

It is fun, and a totally different riding experience. I don't go for the hillclimbs so much but in soft, loose sand, carving back and forth all leaned over and on the throttle is so fun.

The sand is pretty hard on stuff though. On a two stroke you are supposed to jet richer so you don't burn your motor down from all the load, and any kind of bike is more likely to overheat. I am told that you are supposed to even re-grease wheel bearings and stuff after a long sand ride.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
You win this one Bbbom ;) Sounds like you gals had an awesome weekend.

My ride was okay but am not thrilled with me. Came across a funny uphill, it was lumpy & slippery (grass) but the best place to be was on the seat. The rear had no traction standing up, so I just sat (kept standing up & working out it was wrong, so would sit again). Oh, one good thing (a first) - going up one uphill Henk couldn't keep up with me, but blames his rear tyre for that (no traction). I have to admit I did have a better rear tyre on the bike than he did (lol, had to change the wording for that one).

FC22, it's funny how you always hear to keep your weight to the back on sand. If you've ever seen Time to Ride, can you remember how the desert racers stand? If you can watch it again, look closely. They're right up the front, virtually hanging over the bars. I thought that was wierd, but maybe it's with the speed they're going? Oh, with loose, sandy downhills, don't use the front brake, or not much anyway - you'll go down (I still use them slightly, but more the rear and am always prepared to let go, if I get enough warning - sometimes you do, depends on the downhill).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
In the fast sections of TTR, I don't think they were in real deep sand, if I recall right. That part is true about staying to the front--in the places where we were going fast, if you are too far back, you wear out your arms because it feels like you are essentially doing a pull-up off of the handlebars. There is a balance point there that I have just started to be able to use more effectively, like a sweet spot on the bike where you don't have to hang on tight at all. My problem is staying there through the rough stuff but I am getting better at it. You are right though, in the fast sections I was more forward on the bike--but since most of the sandy parts of the trails were whooped out, I felt better with my weight to the rear of the bike.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by Michelle
You win this one Bbbom ;) Sounds like you gals had an awesome weekend.

I haven't been riding so I had to catch up to you Michelle! Yes, it was a fun weekend!

Oh, with loose, sandy downhills, don't use the front brake, or not much anyway - you'll go down.

Now you tell me!!!!! ;)

I was wondering why you were waiting there for me Firecracker!! Sunday, I almost made it up the first big dune we all stopped at on Saturday. The nice thing about the sand though is it's much easier to get the bike turned around & headed back down when you do get stuck. The one I did make it up Sunday wasn't as soft or as long but it sure was fun!

As far as being directionally challenged, it's easy to get lost out there since it all looks deceptively similar everywhere you go.

I felt more comfortable with my weight back, standing on the footpegs to let the front end float more. Those guys probably need to be forward because of their speed or it may be so they can see what's coming up better. I know on Sunday, I almost endoed more than once when I was trying to keep up with the kids across the wide open desert and suddenly came to a troughed out trail. I never did endo but there was some serious braking and breath holding taking place!

Natalie, it is important to clean the bikes well after sand riding. It gets in the little nooks & crannies and makes things stick & wear. The KX60 kickstarter was starting to bind up before we left but a good washing & lube job after we got home by Karl & the boys (I had to work :)) took care of it.

Like FC said, it is hard on bearings & seals but we only get out there once a year or so.

Last edited:

Pegasus

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
Ive been studying at my computer all day..It was nice to check in here and have a great virtual dune ride experience...awesome !
Sounds like you guys had great day..

Last edited:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Bbbom, sounds like great fun. I'm trying to talk my dad into riding at Juniper sometime this year, it looks like a great place to ride. Would you be interested in going there again, possibly in march? Our trailer is buried in snow, but I'll probably be able to dig it out in March. Are you interested? Thanks.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
I still have not tried sand -
Just come to Michigan! You’ll tire'er of it. As for sand riding, I think a steering damper would help out a bunch. Makes your speed run feel a lot more stable. When I'm running the dunes here in MI the only way I feel stable is to sit back and crank it open to warp speed. Get that front wheel floating.

Just a quick question Bboom how big is this riding area? The real dunes in MI are only like 4 square miles or so.

Last edited:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Glad to help you out Pegasus! It was a fun weekend.

It all depends on the weather SpeedyManiac. There is such little snowfall this winter, we may be back in the woods by March instead of late May. We tend to head to Juniper when we can't ride around here just to get the bikes out but the kids like it over there so there is a good chance that we will load up for another desert run, we'll let you know if we plan one.

70 marlin, the Juniper Dunes area is approx 15,000 acres of BLM land with 7,000 of it Wilderness (foot traffic only) and the remainder open to OHV's - bikes, quads & 4x4's. It is usually pretty quiet and we only see a few quads around the dunes. The big dunes have a parking area and they get pretty crowded & crazy but we avoid that area usually.

Top Bottom