mayhew ian

Jan 21, 2002
i have 1999 yamaha yz 125 and i wanna get my bike readyto ride on the ice but i dont know what all to do? i live in the southern part of canada and i know i need studded tires, but i dont know what to jet my bike to or if i have to change the coolant ratio and stuff like that. if someone could help me out it be greatly apreciated!

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
You don't need to change coolant ratios...just use a tester to see how much freeze protection there is. I changed gearing from 13/52 to 14/47 on my old cr125 and could have gone even lower on the rear. My top speed was ~ 85mph or so. Jetting I went 2 fatter on the main and lowered the clip 1, I think. I used some old worn out tires but if I do it this year I'll be looking for some tires that are more enduro style...more lugs closer together. Typical mx tires have the lugs spaces too far apart and I had issues with ripping out studs and tearing off complete lugs. I also bought those handlebar mitt things that are for snowmobiles and that really helped keep my little fingies warm. I got mine through Parts Unlimited. Riding on the ice is a blast and you should surely enjoy it :thumb:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by Moto Squid
...I used some old worn out tires but if I do it this year I'll be looking for some tires that are more enduro style...more lugs closer together. Typical mx tires have the lugs spaces too far apart and I had issues with ripping out studs and tearing off complete lugs...
Here for the ice racing serie, I happen to know personnaly a few of the pros and they use Pirelli MT 144 , fit 3 studs per knob and also use a special lining inside they have to take from a skinned tire carcass (I don't know what tire). This allows to use longer ice screws without hurting the tube. They say it is the only way you can make the ice screws stay on the tire for a whole season.

Top Bottom