Mark W

May 12, 2004
Another one -

First time I've owned a couple of dirt bikes and winter is approaching very fast. I have three bikes - KLX110 that is for sale, KX65 to replace it, and my KDX220. The KLX is an easy one, changed oil and filter, put Seafoam in the gas, ran it for awhile, and washed it real good.

The questions are on the two strokes. What is the best way to store these? Fresh oil for sure and clean the air filters. Where I am unsure is what to do with the fuel? Do I put Seafoam in the tank and run it through or not (I've read that Seafoam and premix may not be the best). Do I drain the tank and carb and let it sit empty over the winter?

Anyone fog the engine? I've heard both sides on this as well.

Finally - what about the suspension? Do you let the bike sit on the tire or do you get it off the ground?

Anything else I should do? For you boys in California, Texas and Florida -winter is that time of year when we get lots of stuff called snow (that white fluffy cold stuff). You guys make me jealous.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I just make sure the carb bowls are drained. I probably should drain the gas out of the tanks too, but I usually never seem to get around to it. I haven't had any problems in the spring yet.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
I drain both the carb and fuel tank, oil change, take chain off and throw in a bucket of oil, put bike on stand, and i also go and repack all my bearings (hubs, swing arm, linkage, etc) as a bearing with a little water will be a bearing of rust after a few months of non use. hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2004
Check the coolent with an anti-freeze tester. Mine tested +5 so I drained the water from both tanks by removing the drain plug on the bottom of the water pump.

Also pull the hose off the plastic water expansion tank and drain it.

Never heard of "fogging" an engine. Seafoam is not a fuel stabilizer more of a carb/injector emmision cleaner for automotive use. I wouldn't use it on bikes. Draining the carb/tank is best, I've seen some gooed up carbs from letting them sit even with fuel stabilizer.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I personally think it is a better idea to clean the filter in the spring before you ride because some oils dont want to stay evenly distributed in the filter when they sit for a long time. I also leave about a quarter tank and go out start and warm the bike up every 2 to 4 weeks then drain the old fuel in the spring and put fresh in. I give the bike a really good cleaning and then I clean and lube chains heck i lube every thing on the bike before i store them for the reason previously mentioned (rust). that has worked for me never had a problem.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
What outrgus said but just lube the chain. I spray any bear metal on the frame with WD-40 as well. I used to overfill the trans oil too and stapled a piece of box board to the throttle with what ever notes I might need to remind me what needs to be done before firing it up in the spring i.e drain trans oil etc. Now I don't do any winter storage prep at all I just stud up and go ice riding :)

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Hmmm.... after greasing all the bearings, I just put some stabil in the gas and fire that mutha up every week just to keep the top end lubed up. This way if I get a nice Indian summer, I can go riding at a moments notice. Has always worked for me and never had any problems.

Top Bottom