winterize

Well, seems riding on my new KDX is winding down for the winter and I thought I'd do a bit of winterizing including...

a regular filter cleaning

swing arm bearing packing

regular oil change

fuel stablizer run through the carb

drain the tank

waxing

anything else?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
Drain the carb float bowl too.

Bleed the air out of the forks, unload the suspension / tires off the ground (bike up on stand).

Seal airbox and spark arrestor to keep mice out.

Unscrew the spark plug, fog the cylinder or pour a tablespoon of motor oil into it. Crank the kickstarter a few times to distribute the oil. Leave piston at TDC. I un-bent a large paperclip, and placed one end in the sparkplug hole to gauge when piston is at TDC.

Lube the throttle and clutch cable.

Spray WD-40 on exposed metal parts prone to surface rust. Cover bike.

Braahp

Subscriber
Holy Cow you guys are killin' me with all this winterizing talk! This is absolutley the best time of year to ride. Nothing like a nasty muddy single track to sharpen the skills. Heck, 15 of us just rode in your hood at Lake City the enduro course last Saturday. Snow covered and muddy as all get out. Hard riding but fun fun fun. You should have been there. There is no such thing as winterizing.......thats for jetskis. Get out and ride!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
Braahp - Are you talking Lake City, Michigan, or Lake City Tennessee?

It was deer hunting season last weekend here in MI, so I hope it wasn't our Lake City!

I live in Cookeville. We tend to ride for most of the winter as long as it isn't really cold. Where on "the hill" do you ride? There are several good places to ride down this way.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
Right now I'm looking at over a foot of snow outside my house.

Riding season is over. Heavy maintenance season has begun.

Everything (KDX, KX125 and son's KX65) will come apart, cleaned, inspected and repaired if required. Frames will be coated. Suspension fluids changed. Top ends evaluated and corrected.

Sometime in February, after all is together, the bikes will be put on their stands, pointing towards the door, waiting for the snow to melt.

It's always a long winter.

Put some studs on her and ride...or just clean her all up, drain the gas out of the carb, and ride ur snowmobile?

Wow, out our way in Phoenix The Riding Season is kickin into high gear. Low 40's to mid 70"s. Now on the other hand mid July when its 120+ you Will be off the trail by 11:00.

wibby

Mod Ban
Winterize

Break out the long underwear!

I use to ride my old Yammyha 100 with trials tires in the snow when I lived in Eastern Oregon. Some years we'd have snow on the ground there for months!

Sounds like you better pull up your skirt! :laugh:

Just rejet for the cold weather and keep going. I've got about eight inches of snow outside right now. But as soon as it melts down a little it will be perfect riding conditions, muddy! :)

winter is the prettymuch the only time I ride.
Its way hot in the imperial sand dunes (so. Cal) in the summer