Wiriing '97 Jeep Grand Cherekee for trailer lights

John Janek

~SPONSOR~
Jan 9, 2004
Has anyone wired a jeep grand cherekee for a trailer with a flat, four wire connector. The jeep has independant wiring for the turn signals, and stop lights. The jeep is not like ford or chev using the turn and stop on the same wiring, ie yellow wire, green wire. The only thing I could figure out was to add additional lights on the trailer for either the stop or turn signals. Thanks for any help, John

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Valley Industries makes a T-connector that you plug into your wiring harness and you're done. I've seen them in the Cabela's catalog and at Pep Boys.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
I dont think that will work. In my 97 Cherokee I need a electrical box to make the trailer lights work. you have to tap into the wires and it will convert every thing to work correctly.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
No the box is not for brakes.
You would be amazed and what Cherokees can tow.
Yes many places shoed the T-connector but when I went to buy it I was told it was not available for my year.
Vintage dirt you link brought me to a wrangler part not one for a Cherokee. I checked that web site and they do have one for a 97 Cherokee. All I know is that when I went to get it they were not available for the Cherokee. I ended up getting a wiring box from Jeep and it was pretty cheep. I put it in so I know that it’s for the lights. Look around if you can find the T more power to you. I did mine like 6 years ago and had a hard time trying to get it. Every one had it listed as available but when push came to shove I was told that actually they don’t make it. Just my experience.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry about that gixer. I've never even ridden in a Jeep so I should have believed you from the beginning. There used to be a DRNer that installs trailer hitches, he would probably know all about this but I can't remember his screen name.

John Janek

~SPONSOR~
Jan 9, 2004
Gixer, thanks for the info, that makes since. Since the Cherokee has a seperate circuit for the brake lights, turn signal, and park lights, a regular "T" connector would not work, plus if you remember, the wiring goes back into each side panel and does not cross over from one side to the other to put in a "T" connector. The only way I could figure out was to add a extra set of lights, brake or turn, but you idea is better. I will pass this on to my brother. Thanks John

Top Bottom