Wiring Guidance/Suggestions for Trailer

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
Looking to take some "lessons learned" from any of you that have decided to wire your enclosed trailer for plugs, lights, and switches? Right now I am assuming it is no different than wiring a house (if I use 110v lights).

I have to believe there is a good way to easily take the portable generator outside and hook it up to the trailer.

Should there be a breaker?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The generator will have a breaker. Either size the wiring such that the generators breaker will be the weak link or add a separate breaker. I would choose the first option.

Your choice will be between a 12 volt system and a 110 volt. If you always have hookups or always have a generator running then the 110 is great. If you want to run an inverter to get 110 out of a couple of batteries for the occasional TV show or xbox game you could run 12 volts to everything else.

mxracin

Sponsoring Member
Nov 23, 2003
I just finished wiring my trailer for 110v. I used a Home Depot 6 circuit panel. Installed a 50A breaker in one space to use as a main, then 15A tandem (two circuits per) breakers for lights, power, compressor and pressure washer. I used a 50A twistlock male receptacle mounted in the front wall, and made up a cord to connect to the motor home. For a smaller service, you can get a charger inlet from west marine which will accept the female end of an extension cord. You will only get 110V this way, but that's all you really need. I went the 50A 220V route becuse that's what my genset output is.

Biggest lesson I learned is to not use residential boxes and devices. If you get a box shallow enough to fit flush in the wall, it is next to impossible to cram any kind of switch or receptacle in there. Call one of the trailer or RV manufacturers and order the RV style devices that don't need a box.
Twist Lock Entrance
Charger Inlet

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I went the 50A 220V route becuse that's what my genset output is.
I believe that you use the 220 VAC for a feed only and use the two hot-legs independantly for your 110 VAC. This is assumsion intended to clarify the 220/110 discrepancy.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I just wired my trailer for 110v as well. I have an all weather box on the front that has a plug to connect an extension from my gen set. I have a 4ft dual bulb flouro light and 2 110 outlets, one on the workbench and one in the rear. Everything is mounted at the top of the trailer (outlets, switches) so they don't get beat up and all wire is in conduit. Works nice, I plug it into the gen set in the RV

Top Bottom