oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Saw this over at Wisconsinmx.com and thought some of you might like to see it. The Sandbox is an inddor facilty about an hour from Minneapolis. It has been open 2 years now and really looks like a great setup. We haven't made it there yet but hope to this winter.

http://blog.lpmultimedia.com/?p=1070

Apr 30, 2007
Maybe I should make clear the rest of my sandbox adventure in here.

If you go, here are a few things you should be forewarned about:

The ventilation system is still being refined, so we did shut down for a little extra longer during the break. Sitting in the arena for lengthy periods of time may give those sensitive to exhaust and carbon monoxide a little sick.

I only noticed this afterwards.

Arrive early. By the first moto, bikes will be lined up handlebar to handlebar in the pits, with NO room for chairs. By next race, they'll have the overflow system worked out a little better. We had a few bikes pitted behind the gates.

Bring warm clothing (by this I mean winter jackets, gloves, and hats). The wait between motos can get pretty lengthy, and the arena/seating itself is pretty chilly for spectators.

(I found out later that my "cuddely lesbian copilot" had a warm jacket and left it in my car the whole time...demanding my hoodies instead. Being a half decent person, I froze myself and let her wear them...for which I'll kick myself a few more times.)

I was very impressed with the way they kept the motos going despite the numerous double and triple drops. I was a little confused at first, but all I had to do is find an official, and my questions were answered completely.

It is a long day. I was in moto 20 out of 30, and got out of there at 11pm. I am wondering if they won't start things just a little earlier in the day next time. I believe we got to racing at about 4pm.

This is the beginning of their 2nd indoor season, so things are slowly starting to get worked out. Things are a little chaotic still.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. They did a fantastic job, and didn't put up with any crap from racers trying to screw around. I had no issues with my pit-mates, and all the riders there seemed to display great sportsmanship from what I could see.

Track:

In comparison to my small time track experience, I was in awe of the size of some of the jumps and table tops.

The track is tight, but not cramped at all.

I would say that it's quite a challanging course, but like the site says, it was designed for beginners and experts alike. I wasn't threatened by any jumps, doubles or corners. Only two seemed to be a little sudden in dropping off (but I think they'd be fine if I was trying to go a little faster).

The dirt was fantastic, much like riding through a layer of chocolate cake, with a good solid foundation underneath. Traction was not perfect, but definitely in the very optimal range!!!

I was the only person in my class, and was triple dropped with two vet's classes. Obviously, I got lapped, but still had a downright fantastic time!

I will be going back.

Despite my setbacks this summer, and current limitations (no jumps) I am riding with, it was an "epic" ride.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would likely avoid racing at a place like the Sandbox and just try to find practice time when the place was slower than normal to max out my time. If we do any Arenacross races this year it will be with the Motokazie guys at Fergus Falls and possibly a trip to Staples.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chili said:
I would likely avoid racing at a place like the Sandbox and just try to find practice time when the place was slower than normal to max out my time. If we do any Arenacross races this year it will be with the Motokazie guys at Fergus Falls and possibly a trip to Staples.
Yeah, we don't go to races at the indoor track here for the same reason. I hate being elbow-to-elbow with people, not to mention having to ride three classes at a time. I like practice days or private rental much better.

Apr 30, 2007
To sum it up, in theory and on paper this place looks and sounds perfect.

But we need...about six of them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom