tommyaus

Feb 22, 2010
hey just wainting to know if anyone has put in a wiseco bottom end in the bike? or any knows much a bout them?
im currently looking into putting one on my 03 cr250. or
should i just go a oem parts?
thanks

Dec 9, 2007
Ive used one before, havent had any issues with it. Got a good deal on ebay for a wiseco crank a couple of years ago. IMS hot rods are good too. They both are alot cheaper than OEM

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It seems to me the wiseco cranks are new, and the hot rods is rebuilt. Both better than oem. Any other named product, run away! When buying kits off fleabay, watch they do not sneak cheaper packages in! If you ordered the wiseco from Forward Motion, it comes with good bearings, seals and gaskets. Fleabay, you may end up with Chinese bearings crappy seals and gaskets? Their cranks are good for about 150, bottom end kits around 200, and complete engine kits from Wiseco for a little over 300. The best deal! Send your top end to Forward Motion and have Eric fit the piston, and hook you up with the complete engine kit. Looking good does not count inside your engine, knowing its correct is the ticket. Vintage Bob

Dec 9, 2007
Yea, after installing that wiseco crank I had maybe 8 or 9 rides on it and my engine ended upb urning belray gearsaver out of my exhaust. One of the crank seals went bad. I found out it definately pays off to use quality name brand parts.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
It seems to me the wiseco cranks are new, and the hot rods is rebuilt. Both better than oem. Any other named product, run away! When buying kits off fleabay, watch they do not sneak cheaper packages in! If you ordered the wiseco from Forward Motion, it comes with good bearings, seals and gaskets. Fleabay, you may end up with Chinese bearings crappy seals and gaskets? Their cranks are good for about 150, bottom end kits around 200, and complete engine kits from Wiseco for a little over 300. The best deal! Send your top end to Forward Motion and have Eric fit the piston, and hook you up with the complete engine kit. Looking good does not count inside your engine, knowing its correct is the ticket. Vintage Bob

what are you paranoid about? The wiseco bottom end comes complete with bearing, seals and gaskets for a complete bottom end job. Should be sealed and new in the box.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not on fleabay! Some offer a nice pic of the crank. You do not get the Wiseco main bearings or even decent seals and gaskets. Make sure, all you have to do is ask them. Those types and the AF abuser (It slowed in Florida and some showed up in Cali now!)gets a lot of hate mail from me! They are the ones that really screw up purchases on there. Good thing for their return policies and pay pal protection. Worry free, call Eric. Vintage Bob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
that is why there is a feedback system. If you are getting a NIB kit from where ever, it comes with the bearings, seals and bottom end gaskets from wiseco. Read the auctions carefully.

tommyaus

Feb 22, 2010
Matt90GT said:
that is why there is a feedback system. If you are getting a NIB kit from where ever, it comes with the bearings, seals and bottom end gaskets from wiseco. Read the auctions carefully.

think i might just get the shop to organise it then, last thing i want to do is do it again just to save 100buks..
thanks for the help guys.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Main bearings, gaskets and seals. Good ones, a little over a hundred dollars. Crappy ones, under 50 dollars. One may last a year, and one a week. Guess which is which? And its on a service where most of the money is made gouging over shipping charges. My main purchases are on obsolete products. Talk about your back against the wall? But, I have been fighting over advertising with fleabay, calling a set of applied triple clamps good, when its actually just a top clamp, thats false and crooked. And selling a Wiseco bottom end kit for 150 with bogus bearings and such is counterfeit. Vintage Bob

Dec 9, 2007
I agree with you. Just dont buy on there then. I buy alot of parts on there such as engine cases, brake calipers, plastic, graphics, handlebars etc for my yz 250 and cr 500 and havent had any problems. When dealing with the heart beat of your engine why would you gamble with it on ebay? Your going by Joe Blow's word and not a authorized parts outfit

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats the thing that has always bugged me Phil. I have heard of oem cranks like this also. Even if its shipped from the other side of town, 1 little jar to the box, and my brand new crank has .010" of run out. And the welding does seem to be the answer? Something tells me that the engine may need the room for shock, load dispersion, something like that? And when its welded up, does it cause premature wear or catastrophic failure elsewhere? Once tapped back into alignment, can't a back fire or blocking the gears for assemble knock it back out of alignment? When you rev it past half throttle and all the nuts are falling off you know? Vintage Bob

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Eric Gorr did a crank on Spider old 450 last year using a Wiseco crank. First ride Spider said the thing vibrated so bad his hands were numb. We called Eric right away and he called Wisco who advised him they were recommending replacing all that batch of cranks before riding them hard. On top of it Wiseco was not offering anything to reimburse the purchase price or labor.
Needless to say Eric Gorr was not happy but being the reputable businessman he replaced everything at no charge (with Hotrod kit). He was not happy with Wiseco to the point I know he did not use their crank parts for quite some time until he was assured to his satisfaction that those parts had better quality control. That by the way was a set new in the box directly from wiseco

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pretty sure Wiseco still has the recall warning on them older cranks up on the website Dave, selective memory loss or old age?. So who has the link to a modestly priced set up for checking crank run out? Other than not being able to rebuild a welded crank, are there any other downsides? Vintage Bob

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I put a wiseco kit in my 05 yz 250 last sept. I did buy it off of ebay but it was brand new in the box. I was only able to put a few hrs on it before i hurt what was my good knee but all seemed well.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Its not the crank itself you have to watch on fleabay. Its when you buy a complete kit. And any crank, before it goes into the engine needs to be checked for run out. Do not buy any made today though, they had a little earthquake over there. I could imagine all the cranks that hit the floor. But, on another note, what about my over weight mail lady, how many times did she drop it? An inexpensive live center set up,with clamps for dial indicators, cheap! Too bad marking the box radioactive and be careful, would get a guy in trouble today? Vintage Bob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
the wiseco kit is an awesome deal. you will not have any problems with them.

Bob brought up a different issue, which is the seller swapping parts.

Get one from a local dealer or big mail order house if you are worried about that.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Oh I have been busting them out, you better believe it! Ask before bidding, paypal protects you from the scumbags, and dipsticks that know no better. I will get mine from Forward Motion. But if I catch some dolt selling 1 for half price?? Now where is a crank run out tool, cheaper than an engine lathe? Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The wiseco crank kit, comes with wiseco main bearings, and I am not for sure whose gaskets, athena, cometic or k&s? Nothing less! By themselves thats about 100 dollars. Enter the cheap stuff, no name Chinese bearings and gaskets, under 50 dollars. This is what you have to ask and watch for, specifically. Crank run out can happen to any crank. I believe not being careful when putting it together can knock it out of true? Good luck! Vintage Bob

Top Bottom