Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
I see Wiseco has come out with a new piston. They call it a GP piston and it appears to cost another $20. It is supposed to give you a little more top end and be more durable. I don't have the article in front of me, but wondered if anyone has used one yet? I'll be putting a new top end in my 02 YZ125 in the next month or so and am looking for cheap power gains. Thanks!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had one last year got it from a hook up from my bud a local pro who got it for me from the owner of TBT racing. At the time according to my friend it was special made for some factory 125 rider who never raced SX I guess he was suppose to race for Mcgrath racing.

I got it for $60 for the top end at the time, it looked like a regular wiseco pro lite piston to me. It's alittle heavier than a stock one, had no piston port window and 4 cooling holes up front. Did it make much of a difference over stock not really other than the bike revved alittle slower and it seemed alittle stronger on the over rev.

As for durability, it was holding up like a typical wiseco that was broken in properly. Forged pistons must be broken in and heat cycled a few times to break in good. I'd say it held up like any other piston I had like 35 hrs on the top end mainly racing time 90% track 10% trail. When I sold the bike it still started on like 1-2 kicks with that many hours on it and had good compression.

The piston is a one size fits all wiseco doesn't offer different sizes for the A,B,C,D cylinders. My bike had a B cylinder and the clearance specs where tiny bit under what the manual says nothing big. Forged piston exspand more than cast anyways. Hope this helps how much are they going for?

Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks for the information. I don't have the ad with me, but I think they were going to be selling them for $98. I'm guessing as a kit the GP will be about $20 more than a pro-lite.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'd really like to see a picture of the GP piston to make sure it was actually the GP piston I had. At the time I had never heard of it and thought my friend was just pulling my chain.

Top Bottom