jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have a 1982 RM 125. I recently had the cylinder off of the engine. The piston looks fairly clean, so I am thinking about just putting rings in (rather than spending $120 on a new piston), but I dont know which brand it is. It has "080" printed on it and it has an arrow pointing to the exhaust side. How would I find out which brand the piston is? Dont Wiseco pistons have a "W" somewhere on them? I have concluded that the 080 means .080" oversize, but that doesnt tell me the brand.

Thanks

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The cleanliness of the piston is irrelevant. What causes failure is a worn skirt allowing the piston to rock in the bore and metal fatigue. It's already apart, why chance it to save 50 bucks?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I havent priced rings...I figured I would save alot more than $50. By clean, I meant that it is not scared, nor is the cylinder. The bike is together and running now...I tried to sell it, but couldnt get enough for it, so I kept it.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
$57...I can deal with that, which website? I will check to see if an .80 over is more. Wiseco wants $115+shipping...seems very high. When I had the cylinder out, I measured it with a micrometer. Some measurements were 56mm and some were 55.7mm. I am wondering if a hone will straighten out that .3mm. The boreing process will cost me $65.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
if it is .080 it is definately not from the manufacture, 1st, the manufacture oversizes would be in metric having .5 or 1.mm also I don't think Suzuki sold oversizes that big.

So more than likely you have a wiseco at its last oversize

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Since this thread was posted, I replaced the unknown piston with a .080" over Wiseco...found it on Ebay for $49 shipped...you cant beat that.

digifox

May 25, 2006
Wiesco Pistons are Marked on the Dome...
At least mines is.

Shows directions to install, Part# and Over size

Top Bottom